Fyre Fest debacle

110,758 Views | 586 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by West Point Aggie
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

Duncan Idaho said:

They probably could have pulled it off if they stayed the course with the cruise ship.
Well they didn't pay any of the music acts, right?

That's one aspect I wish they'd have gone into more detail about.

Were they actually booked? Paid? I'm assuming none of the acts showed up?

And what about Ja Rule? Was he even there when it all went down?
tk for tu juan
The early 20 year old dude that was handling the booking for Fyre Media said he called the bands when everything was falling apart (right after guest arrival) and told them not to show up. I doubt the bands were even going to show up since they had not been paid yet
FtBendTxAg
AG
Both docs were solid entertainment
Malachi Constant
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The early 20 year old dude that was handling the booking for Fyre Media said he called the bands when everything was falling apart (right after guest arrival) and told them not to show up. I doubt the bands were even going to show up since they had not been paid yet
Yeah this was a quick item in the documentary. I wonder what kind of pressure he was under from the bands' agents. If they hadn't paid them I doubt they would have shown up either way.

Blink 182 had already cancelled, but did not indicate why.

I wonder how much money that marketing guy ended up saving billy mcfarland by cancelling the bands.
gigemJTH12
AG
I loved the Netflix doc. I only have one complaint, I wanted to know more about the experience the folks had that actually made it out there. It showed them arrive and going into the night, then it just kinda never mentioned their experience again.

I wanted to know more about their full experience, getting out of there, what they did in the mean time, etc.

Hello there
Good for her. Felt awful for her at the end.
Cancelled
AG
I can't believe he only got 6 years. He stole millions. I'm not for putting people away for ever, but people get way more for much less.
AgMarauder04
AG
queso1 said:

I can't believe he only got 6 years. He stole millions. I'm not for putting people away for ever, but people get way more for much less.

AND he went back to scamming when he was out on bail.
gigemJTH12
AG
queso1 said:

I don't know anything, and I was shocked too. I'm guessing he really only got in trouble for screwing the patrons. The rest probably just got chalked up to bad investments
MookieBlaylock
AG
The Netflix version has better info

But good lord this guy is a coke head dbag
TriAg2010
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I loved the Netflix doc. I only have one complaint, I wanted to know more about the experience the folks had that actually made it out there. It showed them arrive and going into the night, then it just kinda never mentioned their experience again.

I bet nobody's iPhone made it to morning. Not since the Library of Alexandria burned was so much history lost.
MW03
AG
Thought the Hulu doc was better, but both are fascinating as hell.
Stupe
S
Well, at leas Ja Rule feels really really really really really bad.

I feel bad
Big Al 1992
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

I am actually somewhat involved in a project right now that Andy King (gay older guy) is a part of...had NO idea he was involved in this mess... Really interesting stuff...

Well based on his interview you know what he's willing to do to get the project done.
Petrino1
I wonder why they didn't just change the festival to a later date, seems like it would've solved most of the festival's problems.They mentioned it was difficult to find available housing/villas since that specific weekend was the busiest time of the year for the island (Island Regatta). Literally any other weekend would've had MUCH more available villas, and with an extra month or two of planning I think they could've pulled it off.

Also, Billy should've followed his teams advice for removing the luxury accommodations label, and just been honest and say hey youre basically staying in a FEMA tent. I doubt the festival goers would've cared they were staying in a tent in the freaking bahamas. They were pissed because they were tricked by Billy and went in thinking they were staying at a luxury villa.

Billy seems like the typical pathological liar, although one with great ideas. The Fyre festival was a great idea in theory, he just lacked the proper experience, team, and time to pull something like that off; especially for a first year festival. Any experienced festival organizer would've seen the major issues right off the bat and said no way.
Petrino1
One last comment: I wonder what would've happened if they had kept the original island location (Norman's Cay). Seems like it would have been an even bigger logistical nightmare trying to get housing, plumbing, bathrooms, food, water, etc to that island since it was truly remote.

I really felt for the Fyre team when they described the rainstorm that happened the night before the festival. That seemed like the final nail in the coffin for the festival, but that had to have been devastating seeing the rain come down on all the tents.
Hickory High
AG
ea1060 said:

I really felt for the Fyre team when they described the rainstorm that happened the night before the festival. That seemed like the final nail in the coffin for the festival, but that had to have been devastating seeing the rain come down on all the tents.

As did I. I think that anyone who's worked for an agency can't help but feel bad for the agency people that McFarland hired (yoga/strategy guy, event coordinator, etc.)
gigemJTH12
AG
I agree. I think this actually wouldnt have been THAT bad if the rain hadnt happened.

if people can sleep comfortably...a lot can be forgiven. once that all got soaked it was over.
Hickory High
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

I agree. I think this actually wouldnt have been THAT bad if the rain hadnt happened.

if people can sleep comfortably...a lot can be forgiven. once that all got soaked it was over.

Well, except for the fact that there was no music at the music festival.

But yes, they would've gotten to be on the beach.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Sleeping is awesome and all.. until they realize there's only a local DJ playing and no legit catering services. I.e, everything else they paid for.

That rain storm was just a convenient excuse at the very most. This was a cluster**** of epic proportions
FtBendTxAg
AG
Stupe said:

I feel bad

Has ja even contributed to the fund he mentions in. This Instagram post comment. (Somebody suggested he start a fund and he responded that there's already one) I would be very surprised if he gave a cent. He seems like a slimy broke piece of ***** One of the most comedic lines in the Netflix doc was when he called himself a "rap mogul"

Loser.
Objective Aggie
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Stupe said:

I feel bad

Has ja even contributed to the fund he mentions in. This Instagram post comment. (Somebody suggested he start a fund and he responded that there's already one) I would be very surprised if he gave a cent. He seems like a slimy broke piece of ***** One of the most comedic lines in the Netflix doc was when he called himself a "rap mogul"

Loser.

It's not fraud. It's just false advertising.
Sex Panther
AG
Finally watched the Netflix one last night and it was everything I'd hoped and more

All I can say is as bad as Billy is, Ja Rule might be the biggest ******bag on the planet
Sex Panther
AG
Also, loved how Billy decided to film him scamming people after with the NYC VIP thing, inside a million dollar penthouse while he was out on bail... Bold strategy right there
Bunk Moreland
The FYRE company call at the end was incredible. So many pretentious morons in over their head, Ja making the fraud statement, and the one kid who called him on it clearly realizing he's sitting among absolute morons.
gigemJTH12
AG
Sex Panther said:

Also, loved how Billy decided to film him scamming people after with the NYC VIP thing, inside a million dollar penthouse while he was out on bail... Bold strategy right there
loved that
gigemJTH12
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

The FYRE company call at the end was incredible. So many pretentious morons in over their head, Ja making the fraud statement, and the one kid who called him on it clearly realizing he's sitting among absolute morons.
"this is just a bump in the road"

I laughed out loud at that part
Sex Panther
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

YO, There is a lot of smart people on this call!
gigemJTH12
AG
I dont know if any of yall listen to Pardon My Take. But its my favorite podcast and hilarious.

they are doing an interview with Ryne Russilo who I also love to hear and its going to be all about Fyre fest. I bet its going to be really funny.

its tomorrow.
Petrino1
Hickory High said:

gigemJTH12 said:

They don't really go in depth about this, but it sounds like the bands were still planning to show up (at least some bands), until the early 20's marketing guy made the decision to cancel all the bands and tell them not to show up. The only band that canceled beforehand was Blink 182. There could've been more headliners that canceled, but the documentary just mentions Blink. There were still some pretty big names that were set to play: Major Lazer, GOOD Music, Migos etc.
Petrino1
As previously mentioned in this thread: Where was Ja Rule the day of the festival?? The guy was showing up everywhere in the documentary, then disappears the day of the festival.
Hickory High
AG
I see, makes sense
Big Al 1992
AG
ea1060 said:

Hickory High said:

gigemJTH12 said:

They don't really go in depth about this, but it sounds like the bands were still planning to show up (at least some bands), until the early 20's marketing guy made the decision to cancel all the bands and tell them not to show up. The only band that canceled beforehand was Blink 182. There could've been more headliners that canceled, but the documentary just mentions Blink. There were still some pretty big names that were set to play: Major Lazer, GOOD Music, Migos etc.

Rain or not, No band/DJ would've shown up. The logistics for even smaller acts are nailed down - it's their agent/manager's job - no surprises. They know when they are going to land, what type vehicle will pick them up, where they are staying, exactly what time to do sound check, go on stage - weeks if not months in advance. Details are confirmed and reconfirmed. If any manager had let their act land on the island they would've been fired on the spot and never had another job.
Sex Panther
AG
ea1060 said:

Hickory High said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Lol, dude... as I've said before the music lineup was a huge red flag from the get-go. They weren't coming.

When it comes to these festivals it's all about the headliners. Fyre Fest never focused on them, and the music was always kind of an afterthought, which I actually do understand a bit since what they were trying to sell was the experience.

But at the same time, they never did any kind of promo stuff for the music. 2-3 weeks before its supposed to happen, and they still had GOOD Music listed as the headliner... What the hell does that even mean? That's not a band. That's a record label. Does that mean Kanye? Does that mean Pusha T? They never said anything about the actual artists. When I saw that I knew there was something really off about this "festival"

None of these people were ever gonna come except maybe these made up DJ's on lines 3 and after

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.