Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,205 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgBQ-00
ChimbosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My knee-jerk, unresearched prediction was $600M+ domestic.

Having dug a bit deeper at the top grossing domestic movies, I think $650M is the floor.

Incredibles 2 did $608M and Jurassic World did $652M.

I think most people would agree that Lion King is considerably more popular than Incredibles, and is about on par with Jurassic Park.

The only question is whether it can hit $700M or possibly even $800M.

IMO:
$650M: 99%
$700M: 65%
$800M: 40%

How do you feel on these projections now that most the summer has been flops?? I think this is shaping up to be a huge hit like you're predicting.
ChimbosAg
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Do we expect full-tilt on replicating the Mufasa death and Simba trying to wake him?

The movie was given a PG rating for "sequences of violence and peril, and some thematic elements"
So that basically covers Mufasa's death. Bring the tissues.
Olsen
AG
Full version of the TV spot:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much would take all those down by at least $100M.

Revised:
$500M: 85%
$600M: 50%
$700M: 30%
$800M: 15%

If I had to make a single prediction for domestic BO, right now, I'd go with $525M.
TCTTS
AG
In 2019, Donald Glover has won the Grammy for Record of the Year (This Is America), acted/sang in a film with Rihanna (Guava Island), and is now voicing/singing in a film with Beyonce. Crazy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tickets are up. Just grabbed my IMAX ticket for opening night.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChimbosAg said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Do we expect full-tilt on replicating the Mufasa death and Simba trying to wake him?

The movie was given a PG rating for "sequences of violence and peril, and some thematic elements"
This time Mufasa uses the Force and chokes Scar out.
ChimbosAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ChimbosAg said:

AgMarauder04 said:

This time Mufasa uses the Force and chokes Scar out.

Actually I heard mufasa will take on he force of the Phoenix and annihilate scar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hell yes.

This was one of the major things I was hoping they'd add to the movie.

http://www.playbill.com/article/he-lives-in-you-from-the-lion-king-musical-featured-on-soundtrack-for-new-movie

No confirmation if it's in the movie itself or just the soundtrack, but I really hope it's in the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Full soundtrack listing:

1. "Circle of Life"/"Nants' Ingonyama" - Performed by Lindiwe Mkhize; African vocals performed by Lebo M; written and composed by Elton John and Tim Rice

2. "Life's Not Fair" - Hans Zimmer

3. "Rafiki's Fireflies" - Hans Zimmer

4. "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" - Performed by JD McCrary, Shahadi Wright Joseph and John Oliver; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson

5. "Elephant Graveyard" - Hans Zimmer

6. "Be Prepared" (2019 Version) - Performed by Chiwetel Ejiofor; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Hans Zimmer and David Fleming

7. "Stampede" - Hans Zimmer

8. "Scar Takes the Throne" - Hans Zimmer

9. "Hakuna Matata" - Performed by Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, JD McCrary and Donald Glover; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson

10. "Simba is Alive!" - Hans Zimmer

11. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - Performed by Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen; written by Luigi Creatore, Hugo Peretti, George David Weiss and Solomon Linda; produced by Pharrell Williams

12. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" - Performed by Beyonce, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Pharrell Williams; co-produced by Stephen Lipson

13. "Reflections of Mufasa" - Hans Zimmer

14. TBA

15. "Battle for Pride Rock" - Hans Zimmer

16. "Remember" - Hans Zimmer

17. "Never Too Late" - Performed by Elton John; African vocal and choir arrangements created and produced by Lebo M; written by Elton John and Tim Rice; produced by Greg Kurstin; additional production by Elton John and Matt Still

18. "He Lives in You" - Performed by Lebo M; written by Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin and Lebohang Morake; produced by Lebo M and Mark Mancina

19. "Mbube" - Performed by Lebo M; African vocal and choir arrangements created and produced by Lebo M; written by Solomon Linda; produced by Pharrell Williams
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looking forward to EJ's new song, Never Too Late.

TBA is likely the new song by Beyonce that's been mentioned.
Olsen
AG
TLK will outsell the live-action Beauty and the Beast from 2017 on advance tickets by the end of today. Going to be more than six times of what Toy Story 4 did on the first presale day. This movie will be Black Panther on steroids in box office.
atm0812
AG
I've never seen the Lion King musical, but I have kids so I've seen Lion King 2. Is the "He lives in You" song the same from the musical & sequel?

The story of the animated sequel was predictably worse than the original, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the songs. Solid effort by that crew.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It is, yeah. And honestly, my favorite part of the whole show. They sing it twice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Am I the only one not really that interested in a photo-realistic retelling of one of the greatest animated movies of all time?

My wife, kids, and I loved the remake of Beauty and the Beast in 2017 - it has one of the best ensemble casts in a movie in a long time and it took a lot of the stupid elements out of the original cartoon version. But since then Dumbo was pretty crappy and we didn't bother going to see Aladdin because how can you possibly top Robin Williams?

I really like Favreau's Jungle Book, great voice actors and really cool action, but the OG Lion King is really special. Seeing photo-realistic versions of Pumba and TImon seeing Hakuna Matata and the Lion Sleeps Tonight just doesn't seem that interesting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You should check out Aladdin. Better than Beauty and the Beast, imo.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You should check out Aladdin. Better than Beauty and the Beast, imo.
I respect your opinion but that sounds utterly impossible for me to feel that way. The reimagined BatB is my favorite DIsney film to date.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Only one way to find out?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Only one way to find out?
I think you aren't appreciating the disposable income of the family of 4 who just took a trip to Disneyland.
Olsen
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Olsen said:

The message really hit home when Seth Rogen is telling me about lions.

Also, if you're an African-AMerican actor in Hollywood and you weren't cast in either the Lion King or Black Panther, it's time to get a new agent.

Also, who would win a lion fight between Musfasa and Aslan? Because that's really Darth Vader vs. Qui-Gon Jinn
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TXAG 05
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Olsen said:

Also, if you're an African-AMerican actor in Hollywood and you weren't cast in either the Lion King or Black Panther, it's time to get a new agent.

Also, who would win a lion fight between Musfasa and Aslan? Because that's really Darth Vader vs. Qui-Gon Jinn

Cloud Mufasa or regular Mufasa?
Olsen
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I find the lack of Mufasa/JEJ disturbing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
fig96
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Am I the only one not really that interested in a photo-realistic retelling of one of the greatest animated movies of all time?

My wife, kids, and I loved the remake of Beauty and the Beast in 2017 - it has one of the best ensemble casts in a movie in a long time and it took a lot of the stupid elements out of the original cartoon version. But since then Dumbo was pretty crappy and we didn't bother going to see Aladdin because how can you possibly top Robin Williams?

I really like Favreau's Jungle Book, great voice actors and really cool action, but the OG Lion King is really special. Seeing photo-realistic versions of Pumba and TImon seeing Hakuna Matata and the Lion Sleeps Tonight just doesn't seem that interesting.
Nope, none of these clips are doing a thing for me. May not see this in theaters, which is rare for a Disney release for me.

I will say that Aladdin was better than I expected, but I was disappointed they didn't go with a super sinister smarmy type Jafar.
Grapesoda2525
Lion king is going to dominate.

I'm trying to figure out how I can see it without little kiddies draped all over me. It doesn't help that schools are out right now.

Usually a movie has a pretty big drop off after the first weekend, but I'm guessing that I might have to wait until August for lion king to slow down any.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah this one is gonna be leggy seeing as it comes right at the tail end of the summer. They knew exactly what they were doing. I mean look at Aladdin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Olsen said:

Cloud Mufasa or regular Mufasa?
Cloud Mufasa

Then the winner takes on Mike Ditka driving the Bears' team bus in the Indy 500.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Lion king is going to dominate.

I'm trying to figure out how I can see it without little kiddies draped all over me. It doesn't help that schools are out right now.

Usually a movie has a pretty big drop off after the first weekend, but I'm guessing that I might have to wait until August for lion king to slow down any.
Alamo drafthouse will have the fewest kids.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://variety.com/2019/film/features/the-lion-king-seth-rogen-billy-eichner-interview-1203261519/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some early reactions:

Quote:

TheLionKing is visually immaculate; a game-changer for visual effects. It's absolutely stunning in every way. The music shines (Glover and Beyonc take it to another level), the performances are great (Timon, Pumbaa, and Scar steal many scenes) the emotions run HIGH. Truly great
-Erik Davis (Fandango)
Quote:

Oh man TheLionKing delivers. It's a visual masterpiece that will leave you smiling and crying the whole time. It's a true testament to the lasting effect Disney movies have on all generations. Timon and Pumbaa steal the show. And BEYONCE!!! LionKing
-Beatrice Verhoeven (TheWrap)
Quote:

TheLionKing is visually and audibly astounding! I've never seen anything like that on an animation level. It's so beautiful. Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner really steal the show. Chiwetel Ejiofor is brilliant as Scar! It is so much fun. Great movie
-Brandon Davis (ComicBook.com)
Quote:

TheLionKing is a game changer in the VFX department! Everything that was amazing in The Jungle Book is even better in this film. The voice work is FANTASTIC but it's Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa that steal the show. Fans of the original will be pleased!
-Skyler Shuler (TheDisInsider)
Quote:

Holy smokes, I really loved THE LION KING. I think (I think) it's the most beautiful effects movie I've seen. Like next level, the game has changed kind of thing. (For the record I'm agnostic on the original movie and have zero nostalgia for it. Anyway, this movie hooked me.)
-Mike Ryan (Uproxx)
Quote:

TheLionKing has always been my favorite Disney animated movie and this new rendition is a beautiful reminder why. Happy to welcome back familiar chills, emotions and tears. In awe of the visual wizards behind this one. Timon and Pumbaa are everything.
-Perri Nemiroff (Collider)
Quote:

I just got out of TheLionKing and really dug it. My fear was realistic animals wouldn't have the charisma of the cartoon, but they're very good. Timon and Pumba steal the show. Some of the song/choreo arrangements don't work as well as the original but still a really fun flick.
-Chris Hayner (Gamespot)
Quote:

TheLionKing is a landmark visual experience. I've never seen anything like it, and I think it's going to change how we look at movies forever. As an emotional experience, thoughI'll put it this way: It turns out lions can't really emote.
-Adam B. Vary (Buzzfeed)
Quote:

Lebo M re-slays Circle of Life. Those are the strongest Lion King thoughts I have right now. The rest falls in a muddle of beautiful gowns but the uncanny valley for animals took me out too many times. But it's the Lion King so it's always great.
-Constance Gibbs (Black Girl Nerds)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
New track.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.