Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,904 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
atm0812
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Slight tangent here, but is Favreau now one of, if not the, most bankable directors a studio can hire?

The Lion King remake was destined to be huge no matter what, but Elf, Iron Man and The Jungle Book we're not guarantees and could easily have flopped. A very impressive career development either way.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

Did you guys not see Disney's live-action redo of The Jungle Book? Same basic idea. They're doing this with Dumbo and Aladdin next year as well.

I remember leaving Jungle Book and saying g they're going to make so much money on sequels and TV series, etc for that movie.

What I missed is that they weren't going to keep milking the jungle Book, but rather take that concept and apply it to all their other properties. Disney is just printing money hand over fist right now with their movies.
fig96
AG
p-townag said:

I agree. Yeah the CGI is incredible, and nostalgia is a powerful thing... but is this a shot-for-shot remake? Surely not...
So far it's damn close...

For me this becomes a kind of "why" situation? The original is a classic and doesn't need fixing.

I realize this will do massive box office, and I readily admit I'll see it, but I just don't see the need for it.
dave94
AG
I think they'll recreate the really iconic shots like that whole intro section, but the rest of the movie will have different ways of presenting the story.

For this first look, they definitely wanted to hit those beats to make an impact.
Fenrir
dave94 said:

I think they'll recreate the really iconic shots like that whole intro section, but the rest of the movie will have different ways of presenting the story.

For this first look, they definitely wanted to hit those beats to make an impact.

Yeah, all the shots we got in this teaser are among the most iconic of the original. They probably targeted moments like that to recreate.
AggieGirl35
AG
I cannot wait for this. I was 9 when the first one came out and loved it. Over the last year my 4 year old has become obsessed with the animated version. We watched the trailer together yesterday and he asked if we could go see it...yesterday. "Can we go now?!" I'm excited to take him to this when it comes out.
LHIOB
AG
The Beauty and the Beast trailer was pretty much shot for shot and it wasnt thru out the movie.
YouBet
AG
The Jungle Book remake was really good for those who haven't seen it. Will give you a taste of what's to come here.
JDUB08AG
AG
So are we expecting the same soundtrack, songs, etc.? The trailer looks incredible but also a more intense tone. Trying to picture Timon and Pumbaa lol
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm really hoping they put in "He Lives In You" from the Broadway show. Great song.

Supposedly "Be Prepared" is not gonna be in there, but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

This movie is going to make a trillion dollars...

Less than 24 hours in, here's the views count so far:

YouTube - 10M
Twitter - 22M
Facebook - 29M

61 million views total.

And here's the list it'll be landing on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_trailers_in_the_first_24_hours
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

For me this becomes a kind of "why" situation? The original is a classic and doesn't need fixing.

I realize this will do massive box office, and I readily admit I'll see it, but I just don't see the need for it.

I see this sentiment so much on this board and I never, ever understand it.

You answered your own question... It's guaranteed to make a billion dollars. Why wouldn't they make it?

They aren't trying to fix anything. Nobody ever needs a movie. It's a business of entertainment. They want to make money, by providing a product people will like. Doesn't get more teed up than this.
expresswrittenconsent
Zemira said:

I was 11 when the original came out and I'm 35. So every in my generation will remember the original and take their kids to see the movie. The grandparents might tag along to because they probably remember the original. All the young 20 somethings that were too young to see the original will see Disney and take their kids to see the movie.

This is silly. Like the over eager kid during the last avengers movie who said everyone who saw it opening weekend would go back 3 more times, and that every American under 45 would see it in the theatre.
Plenty of people who never saw the original lion king will see this and tons of people who saw the original wont see this. But the idea that every parent under 35 is going to grab their kids and drag the grandparents to the theatre - come on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Plenty of people who never saw the original lion king will see this and tons of people who saw the original wont see this.
Sure, but it's a LOT more column A than column B.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I totally have chills. I saw Lion King the day it came out, after school with my girlfriends. I remember the theater smelled like diapers.

I would almost camp out for this.
expresswrittenconsent
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Plenty of people who never saw the original lion king will see this and tons of people who saw the original wont see this.

Almost certainly, and I dont doubt your $$ projections. It will have a big box office and then probably an even bigger windfall when parents can buy it and/or stream it for the kids at home 24x7.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Beauty and the Beast box office grosses are the baseline for this. It will make more than BATB.
Zemira
AG
Frog_ said:

I totally have chills. I saw Lion King the day it came out, after school with my girlfriends. I remember the theater smelled like diapers.

Exactly,. The pessimists on the thread don't see the nostalgia for the kids who grew up in the 90s
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My knee-jerk, unresearched prediction was $600M+ domestic.

Having dug a bit deeper at the top grossing domestic movies, I think $650M is the floor.

Incredibles 2 did $608M and Jurassic World did $652M.

I think most people would agree that Lion King is considerably more popular than Incredibles, and is about on par with Jurassic Park.

The only question is whether it can hit $700M or possibly even $800M.

IMO:
$650M: 99%
$700M: 65%
$800M: 40%
FTACO97
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Zemira said:

I was 11 when the original came out and I'm 35. So every in my generation will remember the original and take their kids to see the movie. The grandparents might tag along to because they probably remember the original. All the young 20 somethings that were too young to see the original will see Disney and take their kids to see the movie.

Plenty of people who never saw the original lion king will see this and tons of people who saw the original wont see this. But the idea that every parent under 35 is going to grab their kids and drag the grandparents to the theatre - come on.
Tons? You're kidding right?

Also to the one who said this is on par with Jurassic Park as far as fan base, I'd say Lion King is much larger.
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

Quote:

I see this sentiment so much on this board and I never, ever understand it.

You answered your own question... It's guaranteed to make a billion dollars. Why wouldn't they make it?

They aren't trying to fix anything. Nobody ever needs a movie. It's a business of entertainment. They want to make money, by providing a product people will like. Doesn't get more teed up than this.
You're misinterpreting my question.

Yes, it'll make bank and that's why they're doing it (and I said as much). But from my perspective, heavily influenced by being an animator, I don't really see what it brings to the table.

Beauty and the Beast was a new way to tell the story via actors in live action, this is literally just another animated version that so far is ripping the original shot for shot (and those guys aren't seeing any residuals for their work being reused FWIW). I also think stylized 2D is a more effective way to tell the story than photo real talking animals that don't quite move right.

I'm not faulting anyone for wanting to see it and I agree it's going to make lots of money, for me it's just a bit creatively lacking. Maybe they'll surprise me, we'll see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The animator thing is kind of a dumb complaint. The artists who animated Lion King don't own anything they drew.
Zemira
AG
I just think the Lions are cuter in CGI/live action.

Some people are putting too much thought into why people would see the lion king remade. Most movie goers are much simpler creatures than people on Texags. There is a reason 8 Fast & Furious movies have been made and we had 5 Pirates movies, some people just want entertainment.

If you combine a good story with a good makeover many people will see it in droves like original.
double aught
AG
Zemira said:

Frog_ said:

Exactly,. The pessimists on the thread don't see the nostalgia for the kids who grew up in the 90s
It'll make a ton for sure. But some people are writing it in above Force Awakens already, which seems like an overreaction to me.
expresswrittenconsent
echo chamber
TXAG 05
AG
They are bringing a great and beloved story to a new generation in a modern way and they are going to make a sh*tload of money doing it. What more explanation do you need?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Trailer doesn't really excite me. It looks cool, but it looks like a shot for shot remake of the original. The Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time, but if this is an exact duplicate with just cgi added, I don't have this huge desire to see it. After a few minutes, when the coolness of it wears off, it's just the Lion King.
YouBet
AG
Whoopi Goldberg not in it so it's already better than the original.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The animator thing is kind of a dumb complaint. The artists who animated Lion King don't own anything they drew.
But their work is being obviously reused with zero credit or compensation. Wasn't actually referring to animators specifically, similar take by someone who knows more than me:

Fenrir
Unless it's literally a word for word rip off why wouldn't the new writers get the credit? Did the original writers credit Shakespeare?
Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Who the hell hasn't seen the Lion King at least once?
fig96
AG
Fenrir said:

Unless it's literally a word for word rip off why wouldn't the new writers get the credit? Did the original writers credit Shakespeare?
I mean, so far it's a shot for shot remake. And one of those things is public domain, one isn't.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Jungle book was a crap movie they remade

Lion King should have won best picture

The story is the same gonna take a lot to improve it

20ag07
Oh please. Are we really crying over residual compensation for people who made a massive hit movie 25 years ago? They were part of the Disney machine, and no individual part of that movie made it any better than the other. They were all happy to work for Disney for the compensation provided at the time. Should our hearts be bleeding that they need more money for their individual contributions to a remake of a machine 25 years later?

I've got a 4 year old. Technology in entertainment has evolved to a point where he doesn't respond to the original the way I did. It feels dated, the same way old Disney did to me as a kid that grew up in the Disney Renaissance era (Little Mermain/Aladdin/Beauty Beast/Lion King). This will mesmerize him as a new discovery. As much as it is, it's not at all the same movie.
fig96
AG
Or maybe I'm just bringing up a reasonably worded discussion point in a topic about a film that so far is almost identical to the original except for the animation style. (It was literally a parenthetical mention in my post.)

It's possible to talk about things or bring up a point without "crying".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.