Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,897 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
atm0812 said:

Slight tangent here, but is Favreau now one of, if not the, most bankable directors a studio can hire?

The Lion King remake was destined to be huge no matter what, but Elf, Iron Man and The Jungle Book we're not guarantees and could easily have flopped. A very impressive career development either way.
I think there's few if any working directors outside Spielberg who can claim a stronger, more diverse body of work.
AgfromHOU
AG
My favorite Favreau movie is actually Chef. It's the best movie about absolutely nothing.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

atm0812 said:

Slight tangent here, but is Favreau now one of, if not the, most bankable directors a studio can hire?

The Lion King remake was destined to be huge no matter what, but Elf, Iron Man and The Jungle Book we're not guarantees and could easily have flopped. A very impressive career development either way.
I think there's few if any working directors outside Spielberg who can claim a stronger, more diverse body of work.
He's so money, and he does t even know it.
Grapesoda2525
I don't get some of the hate in this thread.

As a millennial myself, I still vaguely remember going to see this movie. I could ask most people my age their favorite Disney movie before the year 2000 and almost all of them will say "Lion king" without thinking about it.

This movie is going to make a killing off millennials who seem to like nostalgia. Look at the sales for those Nintendo and Super Nintendo mini's.

Millennials will also be dragging their kids to the theatres to "relive their parents experience".

Finally, it sucks trying to watch the lion king these days. I can't go rent it at a video store, it's not on any streaming service, you have to pay 20 or 30 bucks on iTunes. You cant rent it for some reason.

I'm looking forward to it! I don't really remember Aladdin so I will gladly go see that one too.
double aught
AG
I don't see any hate in this thread. Just some mild skepticism that seems reasonable.
Zemira
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault

It's called the Disney vault. Somehow in Disney's infinite wisdom when animated movies came out in the 1980's on VHS, they made the original release a short period of time. Then from time to time open the vault and sell some of the movies again. I remember as a child begging my parents to buy the Disney movies I liked on VHS when the came out. We still have the VHS tapes although the one player the family has isn't hooked up.

So even after their original money making Box office, they discovered a way to hype up re-releases and cause scarcity the rest of the time. When movies weren't about making money and as a kid I didn't mind. As an adult if they already made $500 million off the movie, just release the damn video for home consumption.
Grapesoda2525
Zemira said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault

It's called the Disney vault. Somehow in Disney's infinite wisdom when animated movies came out in the 1980's on VHS, they made the original release a short period of time. Then from time to time open the vault and sell some of the movies again. I remember as a child begging my parents to buy the Disney movies I liked on VHS when the came out. We still have the VHS tapes although the one player the family has isn't hooked up.

So even after their original money making Box office, they discovered a way to hype up re-releases and cause scarcity the rest of the time. When movies weren't about making money and as a kid I didn't mind. As an adult if they already made $500 million off the movie, just release the damn video for home consumption.
That sucks. It will be really nice when they come up with the new streaming service.

Knowing Disney it will either be:

1) limited content. A lot of the old favorites won't be on there or accessible. They might also rotate what you have access too in annoying fashion.

2) have all of the content, but be very expensive. Not like Netflix or Hulu which is roughly 10 bucks a month.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/disneys-new-netflix-rival-will-be-called-disney-plus-and-launch-late-2019.html
Fenrir
fig96 said:

Or maybe I'm just bringing up a reasonably worded discussion point in a topic about a film that so far is almost identical to the original except for the animation style. (It was literally a parenthetical mention in my post.)

It's possible to talk about things or bring up a point without "crying".

Are we seriously going to work on the assumption that the movie is a complete shot for shot ripoff because a 90 second trailer repeated several iconic shots from the original?

Seems a bit premature to make that call.
expresswrittenconsent
Fenrir said:

fig96 said:

Or maybe I'm just bringing up a reasonably worded discussion point in a topic about a film that so far is almost identical to the original except for the animation style. (It was literally a parenthetical mention in my post.)

It's possible to talk about things or bring up a point without "crying".

Are we seriously going to work on the assumption that the movie is a complete shot for shot ripoff because a 90 second trailer repeated several iconic shots from the original?

Seems a bit premature to make that call.

Completely changing your argument after he shut down your last one?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can we not turn this into an e-dick fight? Thanks.
Fenrir
He shut down a clearly facetious argument? Congrats I suppose.

His entire point is a joke. It has as much substance as the typical atmag post.
Zemira
AG
Why are we fighting about the content of a movie that hasn't been released and isn't even close?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What the hell are you talking about? Posting BO predictions is not dick measuring. You are the one instigating something into an argument when there is no need to.

I'm ejecting from this convo that you seem to want to turn into a fight.
Belton Ag
AG
The pillow fighting in this thread is almost a entertaining as the trailer.
chipotle
But but but my nostalgia feels
TCTTS
AG
fig96
AG
Fenrir said:

He shut down a clearly facetious argument? Congrats I suppose.

His entire point is a joke. It has as much substance as the typical atmag post.
Gee thanks.

I'm curious if they're going to do anything at all different with it. So far they haven't.

And honestly, I'm curious how it's going to work visually. Animation is generally stylized for a reason, because it has to be to make realistic things move in less than realistic ways. I don't know how photorealistic animals are going to emote, sing, dance (?), etc. in a way that does justice to the original.

As I've said several times, I'm intrigued to see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

And here's the list it'll be landing on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-viewed_online_trailers_in_the_first_24_hours

Wow. Honestly didn't see it passing It.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's what I'm most curious about also.

Kinda also wish they'd made the lions just a TAD more stylized, like you said. At least the red mane for Simba.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simba noooo!!!

hph6203
AG
Curious what y'all think Whoopi says here during Be Prepared. My ears hear something, but not sure if it's just years of me believing it's what she says so I can't hear anything else. I've googled and haven't found it on any hidden naughtiness by Disney lists (like the Little Mermaid box cover).

I swear she says "I'll make love with the king."

I know the script says Alright, long live the king, and that's what Cheech says, but I hear something different from Whoopi.
Zemira
AG
I hear something different still.

I love the king
DartAg1970
AG
More importantly, will they be able to get away with the obvious Nazi parade reference in the new movie?
Hello there
Damn, bumped the wrong thread.

C'mon, Super Bowl spot!
Hello there
Welp.
Olsen
AG
No Lion King, Dumbo, and Aladdin trailer today
PatAg
AG
hph6203 said:

Curious what y'all think Whoopi says here during Be Prepared. My ears hear something, but not sure if it's just years of me believing it's what she says so I can't hear anything else. I've googled and haven't found it on any hidden naughtiness by Disney lists (like the Little Mermaid box cover).

I swear she says "I'll make love with the king."

I know the script says Alright, long live the king, and that's what Cheech says, but I hear something different from Whoopi.
I heard all right long live the king or all right love live the king
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was this known? Be Prepared WILL be in the movie. Previous reports were erroneous.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Be-Prepared-Will-Be-Featured-in-THE-LION-KING-Live-Action-Film-20190203
COAg15
AG
Drawkcab
I hear either "Long live the king" or "I'll make love with the king" depending on which I'm thinking about.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Previous reports were erroneous.

Post removed:
by user
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Now that's a billion dollar poster.
Olsen
AG
Nothing new in this teaser.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Simba sneezing is new.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.