Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,903 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
AgShaun00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if this wasn't a remake and first time, this movie wouldn't do so well. Original much better
Not a Bot
AG
A really well made movie by a director who knew what he was doing in crafting shots. Not totally a shot by shot remake by any means but took the cues from the original and made it his own. The thing that made it so good to me was that the camera angles were placed just like they would have been if they were filming live. So often in CG movies we see these ridiculous angles and moving shots that break the sense of realism.

Didn't necessarily like some of the line delivery from the voice acting, but those issues were pretty few and far between. Zazu and the hyenas just fell flat with me.

Got a huge laugh at how they distracted the hyenas in the last act.

Overall I'd give it a B+.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We just got back from seeing it. I thought it was decent but I never enjoyed the lion king to begin with. My oldest son was also on the fence and he always loves movies. Youngest son and husband enjoyed it though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brock Sampson
AG
Jack Bristow said:

I was also disappointed that they lost the key dialogue between Simba and Rafiki: "yes, the past can hurt...but you can either run from it or learn from it" (paraphrased)

This. Couldn't believe they left that part out.

Didn't enjoy Beyonce in the movie. Guess they got her for the music. Glover was okay.

Enjoyed it but wasn't as good as the original.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Broke the all-time opening record in Netherlands. (Held by Endgame.)
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Claude!
Yeah, the little Dutch boy had his finger in a dyke during Endgame's opening.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$30M Tuesday. For comparison, Endgame - 33, TS4 - 20, Aladdin - 12.
caleblyn
Cactus Jack said:

A really well made movie by a director who knew what he was doing in crafting shots. Not totally a shot by shot remake by any means but took the cues from the original and made it his own. The thing that made it so good to me was that the camera angles were placed just like they would have been if they were filming live. So often in CG movies we see these ridiculous angles and moving shots that break the sense of realism.

Didn't necessarily like some of the line delivery from the voice acting, but those issues were pretty few and far between. Zazu and the hyenas just fell flat with me.

Got a huge laugh at how they distracted the hyenas in the last act.

Overall I'd give it a B+.
I agree.

The stampede in the gorge was really amazing with great CG and camera angles. After it was over, I leaned over to the wife and said, "That was awesome!" I've seen that scene about 1,000 times and the 1,001st time was just as amazing as the first.

The distraction scene of the hyenas and the, "Fart," word in Hakunahmata was great!

I agree, some of the lines and dialogue were NOT GOOD!

In all, great redo of a great movie.
Tube
Jack Bristow said:

Cinematography and graphics were amazing, but to me it lost the heart of the original. Hard to convey the non-verbal emotions in the characters with such life like animals.

I was also disappointed that they lost the key dialogue between Simba and Rafiki: "yes, the past can hurt...but you can either run from it or learn from it" (paraphrased)

Spot on. Rafiki was a great character of the original, and he is pretty much muted in this one. Much of the comedy of the original seemed removed, and the remake just wasn't as much 'fun' for me.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I thought it was decent not great. Not even close to the greatness of the original.
jschroeder
Something that always bothered me...

When Scar and the hyenas eat all the prey in the flat lands, why does the land go barren?

Shouldn't the grass grow out of control because of the lack of grazers?
Drawkcab
Did we even hear Rafiki's name? I think he doesn't have a name in this version.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty steep 60% drop to $75M.

Should still break 1B but probably not much more than that.
Olsen
AG
Less than $40 million dollars away from joining the $1 billion dollar movie club.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/box-office-the-lion-king-becomes-fourth-disney-film-to-cross-1-billion-this-year-1203284860/

A billion in less than 2 weeks.
Grapesoda2525
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/box-office-the-lion-king-becomes-fourth-disney-film-to-cross-1-billion-this-year-1203284860/

A billion in less than 2 weeks.
I guess you could say Aladdin was the much better movie but lion king is the better franchise?
Dwide Schrude
AG
I hate to say it but I came away disappointed:

1. Visuals - the CGI was mostly fine but the animals seemed so emotionless, it was weird
2. Dialogue - I understand it not being word for word like the original but I HATE that they dumbed it down for the 2019 audience
3. Songs - Most were decent but the new version of Be Prepared was awful - didn't feel evil at all
4. Hyenas - Tried to make them somewhat funny- failed...missed not having "Ed"
5. Dialogue again - the moment between Simba and Mufasa where he "teaches him a lesson" felt so bland and rushed...same with the "Remember" scene...two of my favorite scenes that missed wildly to the point that I didn't care much when Mufasa died

The Lion King, like many, remains my favorite Disney movie. I'm saddened because it could've been so much better.
TXAG 05
AG
Just got out, saw it on IMAX, there were maybe 20 other people in there for a 7:10 show.

Agree with most people that it was good, but easily could have been a lot better. Didn't like the voice of Scar.
atm0812
AG
Similar thoughts to many here.

1) Visually stunning. Truly incredible in that regard.
2) Ejiofor as Scar just didn't work. Not the same gravitas Irons brought. Jones as Mufasa felt old, and I even wondered if some lines were cut right out of the original. Very disappointing.
3) Couldn't believe they cut "Be Prepared" short. Why make the movie 30 minutes longer but not include something so classic?
4) I was truly bummed with the movie until Timon & Pumba showed up. Then my wife & I laughed for 10 minutes straight as they got into Hakuna Matata. Hakuna Matata is probably going to be this years "Jack-Jack vs the raccoon" for me as the most fun movie scene of the year.
5) Eichner stole the movie. I'd happily pay to see an entire Timon & Pumba movie with Eichner & Roger. They were fantastic, and probably better than the original cast which is very impressive.
6) Why was Rafiki's role so much smaller? His lesson about learning from the past was great in the original.

On the whole, I'd say the new Aladdin was better, especially for someone like me going for nostalgia. Aladdin captures the fun/magic of the original better, and while Will Smith may not have equaled Robin Williams genie, I don't remember being completely let down at any point by the inability to capture the spirit of the original. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing for Lion King.
Olsen
AG
It's now the 2nd highest grossing film of the year surpassing Captain Marvel.
AgBQ-00
AG
Saw it this weekend. There was good and bad to it. The good...I Loved the remember who you are scene. The Timon and Pumba entrance absolutely saved the movie for me. Was pretty bored until then.
The bad...I think it felt disjointed. Kind of like they were just trying to make a fantastic looking movie and fit in some of the classic music. The emotional connection was not there for me. All in all...we had fun but it could have been so much better
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.