Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,899 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Already collected $36.83 million after the first 2 days in China. Looks like it will surpass my initial expectations that I made from yesterday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Justin2010
AG
Olsen said:

Already collected $36.83 million after the first 2 days in China. Looks like it will surpass my initial expectations that I made from yesterday.

It seems like numbers from China are more about momentum than profit for a studio. I've always heard the Chinese government takes the vast majority of money made from movies in China.
TXAG 05
AG
BennyBlancoFromTheBright said:

I'm all Lion King'd out at this point. Seen the original sooo many times. Sat through the play a couple of times. It has just drained me. Nothing left about this story to excite me. The story is built on emotion and I don't have any more empathy for the characters.

And I know it's going to be a spectacular movie -- because they REALLY want this movie to be. But the family can expect to see this one without me. And I have a feeling that this will be the case for a few other 'live action Disney lazy remakes' in the near future.

Why wouldn't you want to see it? Sure we've seen it a million times and we aren't going to see anything new here, but it's a great story, retold for a new generation. I can't wait to hear Rafiki to say "The king has returned," or seeing Simba climb pride rock at the end and roar. Those scenes are why movies are made.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Justin2010 said:

Olsen said:

It seems like numbers from China are more about momentum than profit for a studio. I've always heard the Chinese government takes the vast majority of money made from movies in China.
It's a weird world when it's exciting that a movie makes $36.83 million in a country with 1.4 billion people living in it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This poster for passing 300M Chinese yuan is sick.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pretty much would take all those down by at least $100M.

Revised:
$500M: 85%
$600M: 50%
$700M: 30%
$800M: 15%

If I had to make a single prediction for domestic BO, right now, I'd go with $525M.

Sticking with 525 for domestic total.

As for opening weekend, I'll go with $170M.
Olsen
AG
TLK made $54.7 million dollars for its opening weekend in China. The most money Disney made on an opening weekend with their live action remake movie was The Jungle Book back in 2016 with $48.9 million dollars. That's a fantastic start!
Justin2010
AG
Feel free to bookmark and rub in my face. But I am have a strong feeling tlk is going to underperform.
TCTTS
AG
I don't disagree. This is one of those movies that feels like it came out weeks ago, but somehow hasn't released yet. I already have fatigue.
oglaw
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't disagree. This is one of those movies that feels like it came out weeks ago, but somehow hasn't released yet. I already have fatigue.

You might have fatigue, but do all the kids that it's geared towards have fatigue? My guess is no.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much the feeling I had by the time Endgame came out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

For a guy like me who is married/kids in the target audience, the fatigue is financial too. We've got a great sit-down eat-a-meal movie theater just a couple of miles away from home, but it's a big deal for us to go there, certainly not more than once per month and usually as a reward for good behavior.

Disney puts out 3 movies in a 2-month timespan geared to them - Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, we end up skipping Aladdin because Toy Story and the Lion King are more of their favorites. Disney has so many properties now, it sort of feels like they're testing the theory of "how greedy can we be before people turn on us?" Any one of those 3 movies could have been their tentpole for the summer, but when you've also got Endgame, Frozen 2, and Episode IX in your wheelhouse, I guess you're pressed for space on the marquee.
TCTTS
AG
That's a great point, and it makes absolutely no sense. There was ALSO Dumbo in April. I cannot figure out why Disney is squeezing *everything* into 2019, other than to, yeah, test that theory. It's insane.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wonder if it has anything at all to do with Iger's impending retirement?

Maybe his bonus depends on the company's performance in his final year or something.
Quad Dog
AG
Is it purely business? Are they trying to make back some money after losing/spending a bunch recently.
Disney recently had a lot of flops this century: Lone Ranger, Tomorrow Land, John Carter, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Wrinkle in Time, Prince of Persia, Nutcracker and Four Realms, Solo (not technically a flop, but cost a lot because of reshoots)
They bought Pixar ($7.5 B), Marvel ($4 B), Lucasfilm ($4 B), and Fox ($71 B)
Spent $24 billion expanding theme parks
Spent many billions on Disney+ to create the technology and create original content
The Collective
AG
I can only hope they are working on some originals in the background while they are releasing all of this ****
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was watching an episode of Chef Show last night, and it hit me how amazing Favreau's career is going right now. He's basically THE man at Disney at the moment.

To go from directing Iron Man (and being the man most directly responsible for starting the MCU) to The Jungle Book, to The Lion King, to The Mandalorian (which looks amazing, btw), it's kind of insane.
double aught
AG
He's so money. He doesn't even know it.
Satellite of Love
Incase some out there missed the original version controversy.

The similarities of scenes are very interesting, but the personalities between Kimba and Simba were really different. Opinions? Did Disney's "original" story rip off an older Japanese manga series?
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was watching an episode of Chef Show last night, and it hit me how amazing Favreau's career is going right now. He's basically THE man at Disney at the moment.

To go from directing Iron Man (and being the man most directly responsible for starting the MCU) to The Jungle Book, to The Lion King, to The Mandalorian (which looks amazing, btw), it's kind of insane.

Jon Favreau is a great director....but personally I'll always remember him as Danny from The Replacements...

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Grapesoda2525
Seems to be a lot of hardcore Disney fans on here.

Do you guys work for the company or have little kids?

I go see the movies for nostalgia purposes, but I don't bother to track how they do financially or all that stuff.
Bruce Almighty
AG
PatAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

ruuudy, ruuudy
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I go see the movies for nostalgia purposes, but I don't bother to track how they do financially or all that stuff.
You do realize what forum your are posting on, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
GiveEmHellBill said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

You do realize what forum your are posting on, right?
Grapesoda made the classic "I'm up at midnight, nothing's on TV, I have nothing to contribute to the discussion, but I'm bored so I'm posting something" post.

We've all been there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So who's watching tomorrow?
oragator
I don't understand getting excited over remakes, it's basically a "hey this made money, let's throw it back out there with some additional sizzle". But to each their own.
Mr. White
Brian Earl Spilner said:

People who are telling Hollywood, "More remakes! More mediocrity!"
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll be making a second trip to John Wick Chapter 3.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.