Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,906 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
atm0812
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Confirmed cast so far:

Mufasa - James Earl Jones
Simba - Donald Glover
Timon - Billy Eichner
Pumba - Seth Rogen
Zazu - John Oliver

According to IMDB

Scar - Chiwetel Ejiofor
Rafiki - John Kani

I like Ejiofor, but Irons was so good in that role I'm surprised they would go elsewhere.

It will also seem weird if James Earl Jones is the only returning voice.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AFAIK, Chiwetel and Beyonce are still "in talks". Probably just finishing up contracts is my guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, I seriously cannot WAIT for this trailer. The Circle of Life that was shown for D23 is all we need.

I know it's still 2 years out, but if this was already shot and completed, might as well?
Sex Panther
AG
I agree that since they're going with James Earl Jones again, would've been awesome to go with Irons as well... I always thought that Scar was the best Disney movie villain, and Irons had a ton to do with that.

I wouldn't be surprised though since this is Disney and we now live in PC-topia that they decided all of the lions had to be black actors/actresses.

Also, I know he's really old now, but how come JEJ can be Mustafa but couldn't give us a few lines as Vader in Rogue One?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What are you talking about? Did you watch Rogue One?
Sex Panther
AG
Hmm... I could've sworn I read that it wasn't JEJ in Rogue One, but looks like I'm mistaken.

Well that's cool then, now I wanna watch Rogue One again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Be Prepared made it in.

He Lives In You is in. (Best song from the Broadway show.)

New songs.

Edit: Confirmed fake.
TCTTS
AG
Surprise trailer drop coming TODAY. Likely during Cowboys/Redskins...
TCTTS
AG
This movie is going to make a trillion dollars...

Belton Ag
AG
Just saw the trailer. Wow.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
That

looks

incredible.

Oh my God.
Fenrir
I got Goosebumps. My 2 year old said "awesome".

I am completely in on this.
bigcat22
AG
Hearing JEJ's voice again gave me goosebumps. I remember seeing the original in theaters and now I can take my son to see this one in theaters. Can't wait.
chipotle
So it's the same movie just cgi? Why would I see this again?
Belton Ag
AG
chipotle said:

So it's the same movie just cgi? Why would I see this again?
I don't know. It's up to you what you see or don't see.
TCTTS
AG
p-townag
AG
I agree. Yeah the CGI is incredible, and nostalgia is a powerful thing... but is this a shot-for-shot remake? Surely not...
TCTTS
AG
Did you guys not see Disney's live-action redo of The Jungle Book? Same basic idea. They're doing this with Dumbo and Aladdin next year as well.
p-townag
AG
I know it's just a tiny snippet of footage, but the difference I think is just how exact this is to the original. The framing, the camera sweeps, everything was EXACTLY like the original.
TCTTS
AG
For someone like me, who only saw this once as a kid and haven't seen it since, even if it was a shot-for-shot remake, I wouldn't really care. Nor will the millions of kids today who haven't ever seen the original.

That said, I'm sure they've updated it here and there with new/additional dialogue, an added/amended subplot or two, etc.
Saul Goodman
AG
Makes you wonder if this could challenge TFA's domestic box office record
Scotty Flamingo
Who care's if it's a shot for shot remake. That looks amazing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
This might be incredibly short sided, but when comes to a scenario like this, I always wonder, "Would my parents see it?" In the case of TFA, the answer was "yes," simply because it was Star Wars. Granted, they didn't really like it and haven't seen any of the new ones since, but there's no way they were going to miss an event movie like that, with that kind of franchise history, etc. That said, there's just no way they'd see an animated movie in theaters - on their own - even one this big, and I think that's going to be true for the kind of crowd that usually brings blockbusters like this into that rarified box office air.
Ag Since 83
AG
Anyone else seen The Lion King on Broadway? Yeah, the story's basically the same, but it's a spectacle, and that makes it worth it.

This movie will be the same type of spectacle, even if it is close to a shot-for-shot remake. It's still got the story, still got the music, and oh yeah, looks amazing visually.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie will do $600+ domestic.
Nagler
Nagler
AG
The original was in my wheelhouse. I was 7ish when it came out. My favorite Disney movie. Excited to take my kid to it. Don't care if it's shot for shot or not
CubbieAggie
AG
TCTTS said:

This movie is going to make a trillion dollars...

chipotle
I doubt they redo the dead father scene. Too many feels for snow flakes these days. "Wahhhh, Bumbees mom!!!l
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sure the mouse will miss your $10.
Fenrir
So you've never rewatched a movie at a theater or bought a version of a movie you saw at the theater?
YouBet
AG
I don't really remember the original because it came out when I was in college. I had more important things on my mind than Disney movies.

This looks awesome though. Doesn't hurt that JEJ was the voice over.
Zemira
AG
I was kinda down on the remakes, but this looks incredible. I don't care if it's a shot for shot remake, even on my phone that CGI is awesome.

I was 11 when the original came out and I'm 35. So every in my generation will remember the original and take their kids to see the movie. The grandparents might tag along to because they probably remember the original. All the young 20 somethings that were too young to see the original will see Disney and take their kids to see the movie. The target audience median is a bit younger than recent top grossing Disney, but I can definitely see this being huge.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Prediction: This movie outgrosses Avengers 4 domestically.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.