Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,905 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree. I don't understand the rush at all.

I saw a tweet earlier today basically saying that, cinematically speaking, The Lion King will mark "peak Disney" and then there could be a steady decline from here on out (relatively speaking)...

- After December, no Star Wars until 2022.
- Marvel will likely never top the success/hype of Endgame.
- Disney has burned through a lot of their most popular/valuable live-action remakes already.

Sure, Star Wars will be huge for years to come, Marvel will continue to be insanely popular, and there are still plenty of animated titles left to adapt for live-action, but none of them - in any of the three "franchises" - will likely ever top the hype/popularity/box office success of Endgame/Lion King this summer. In other words, after this summer, and after Episode IX in December, across all three "franchises," there's going to be a distinct, all-around, "B team" vibe from here on out (with a few "A team" characters/properties still to go, of course). I get where they are with Star Wars and Marvel, at least, but Disney definitely could have spread the live-action remakes out a bit more...
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Mr. White said:

For me, finding those in the toy section at Service Merchandise was like Indiana Jones finding the ark of the covenant.

(Transformer toys)
Once upon a time there was an ad in the paper saying that TG&Y had the new Dinobot toys - this was probably in 1984 or 1985, but when I got my mom to drive me over there on Saturday, there was a notice on the door saying the ad was wrong and they did not have them after all. I was devastated. My mom said, "Wow this is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to you, right?" AND YES IT WAS MOM.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

in any of the three "franchises" - will likely ever top the hype/popularity/box office success of Endgame/Lion King this summer.
Rise of Skywalker/Frozen 2?

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I remain of the opinion that Frozen 2 is going to outgross TLK.
hph6203
AG
Is this even controversial? Seems like a duh opinion.
Olsen
AG
Supposedly TLK will have bigger legs than Aladdin and would make the same impact as Black Panther did in theaters last year.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

in any of the three "franchises" - will likely ever top the hype/popularity/box office success of Endgame/Lion King this summer.
Rise of Skywalker/Frozen 2?

As has already been stated, I doubt either one comes close.
Velvet Jones
AG
C@LAg said:

YES, this link is political. Like nuclear hot political. Yes, I posted it to Politics board.

But it is ****ing hysterical how much of an agenda the author has behind this.s.

I am posting it here because everyone should be able to get a chuckle out of it.

Washington Post: 'The Lion King' is a fascistic story. No remake can change that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/10/lion-king-is-fascistic-story-no-remake-can-change-that/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cd6adb6a3b63

Just an example:

As in every fable, a variety of cute and cuddly figures stand in for human societal organizations.
But by using predator-prey relationships to allegorize human power, the film almost inevitably incorporates the white supremacist's worldview, one in which some groups of people are inherently superior to others.

But the sympathies of "The Lion King" lie elsewhere. Doubling down on Disney's historical obsession with patriarchal monarchies, it places the audience's point of view squarely with the autocratic lions, whose Pride Rock literally looks down upon all of society's weaker groups a kind of Trump Tower of the African savanna.

With the lions standing in for the ruling class and the "good" herbivores embodying society's decent, law-abiding citizens, the hyenas transparently represent the black, brown and disabled bodies that are forcefully excluded from this fascist society. Noticeably marked by their ethnically coded "street" accents, the hyenas blatantly symbolize racist and anti-Semitic stereotypes of "verminous" groups that form an inherent threat to society.
What's hilarious is the ostensibly "Grown-ass adults" of forum 13 will no doubt reply that it's just a cartoon movie.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Velvet Jones
AG
C@LAg said:

You do realize this is forum 13. Politics is 16.

Unless I have completely missed what you are saying
Yeah. I clearly do and yes, you have. All good though.

The schadenfreude with the resident czar and his/her/its sycophants is pretty fun though.

The Debt
I had no idea Shakespeare wrote Hamlet to oppress blacks, browns, and disableds.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Luke Smith
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. The singing in The Jungle Book (live action) looked decent to me, but here it just looks so stiff and not at all natural. The animals are too life-like.
fig96
AG
My comment from last November:
fig96 said:

And honestly, I'm curious how it's going to work visually. Animation is generally stylized for a reason, because it has to be to make realistic things move in less than realistic ways. I don't know how photorealistic animals are going to emote, sing, dance (?), etc. in a way that does justice to the original.
TCTTS
AG
Yep. Good points.
Luke Smith
Quote:

Glover and Beyonc's duet of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" is, as a piece of audio, utterly glorious, and yet it has little impact onscreen (where, for some reason, it's performed in total daylight), because neither Simba nor Nala has come through as an engaging character.

I was king of excited for this movie, but the more I read and see, the less so I am
Bruce Almighty
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, that doesn't look right at all. The singing in The Jungle Book (live action) looked decent to me, but here it just looks so stiff and not at all natural. The animals are too life-like.

That's been my problem with this whole thing. It looks too real and watching real animals singing Hakuna Matata sounds stupid. The CGI work may be great, but it's just odd. The animals didn't look human in the animated movie, but they still had human facial expressions with human like movements. My suspension of disbelief had its limits, and this movie is going to test it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
It reminds me of the scene in the original Toby McGuire Spiderman where he and Willem Dafoe have this big scene on the roof threatening each other, but one has is mask on and other has his helmet on. It's two dopes in 360-degree costumes that have zero facial features available. No emotions, just voices.

I think that article also says James Earl Jones says almost exactly all the same dialogue. That seems really like a waste of talent. Even though his voice has changed, one of my biggest thrills in seeing Rogue One was hearing the real voice of Darth Vader having different conversations with different characters in the context of the timeline I know him from.

Other than treating the kids to an afternoon at the movies as a reward for good behavior, hearing JEJ as Mufasa is my #1 reason for seeing this movie, but if it's just a 25-year-old rerun, I think I'm going to be underwhelmed.
Justin2010
AG
59% On Rotten Tomatoes
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
I'm all Lion King'd out at this point. Seen the original sooo many times. Sat through the play a couple of times. It has just drained me. Nothing left about this story to excite me. The story is built on emotion and I don't have any more empathy for the characters.

And I know it's going to be a spectacular movie -- because they REALLY want this movie to be. But the family can expect to see this one without me. And I have a feeling that this will be the case for a few other 'live action Disney lazy remakes' in the near future.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hakuna tamata
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Olsen
AG
TLK already grossed $15.13 million on opening day in China. TLK's opening day made more than Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book remakes when they had their opening days in China.

TLK is on pace to make somewhere between $40 to $50 million opening weekend in China.
fig96
AG
C@LAg said:

Wonder if this would have played better if they had Pixar'd CGI it, vs realistic CGI it.
they could have handled human mouth animation better and it would not look so wonky.
I think it would've absolutely worked better as a stylized film where you can design characters that can emote and move more like the original, but then it doesn't fit in with the "live action" style of remakes.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
double aught
AG
He Lives in You
p-townag
AG
Eesh that Hakuna Matata looks horrible. It looks like Simba is frowning the whole time. Zero emotion. So strange. I totally agree with the above that they should have "Pixar'd" it instead.
jokershady
AG
p-townag said:

Eesh that Hakuna Matata looks horrible. It looks like Simba is frowning the whole time. Zero emotion. So strange. I totally agree with the above that they should have "Pixar'd" it instead.
that our changed up the music entirely....have it be in the background (still sung by the same voice actors) or something while the characters interact with one another...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.