Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,907 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like it has a solid month to just clean up - there are no other kids movies on the horizon except for the nonstop trainwreck that will be Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

ChimbosAg
AG
For anyone on the edge of deciding whether or not to go see it, it's worth it. Even though it's a remake it was done tremendously well, just as others here have said. The star filled cast definitely was worth it, Glover and Beyonce of course did great on their songs. Great for their parts too. Timon and Pumbaa stole the show, it was great to see their new take on the jokes and one liners. I didn't have any complaints on the live animation really, there was on part in the beginning that I had a double take at, but other than that I think they did a great job in that department.

I jokingly told my gf before the movie that I read the "spoiler thread" of how the movie ended. She was mad that I would want to know how it ended....

After the movie she finally caught my joke
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There will be a Timon and Pumbaa spinoff. Book it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$90M+ opening day, $220M weekend....
BMX Bandit
MuckRaker96 said:

Seems like it has a solid month to just clean up - there are no other kids movies on the horizon except for the nonstop trainwreck that will be Dora and the Lost City of Gold.

now you have gone too far!
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I love the original and read the reviews so prepared myself to be very disappointed, but I liked it a lot. Sure it's a shot for shot remake in a lot of ways, but the voice cast is amazing, in my opinion, specifically Eichner and Rogen, but also Ejiofor.

The animals not having emotional faces did not bother me at all, and I probably wouldn't have thougt about that at all if it wasn't for the critics making a huge deal out of it. Honestly it's interesting to me how much they hated this movie but loved The Jungle Book, when I didn't care for the later at all but enjoyed this a lot, and they both have non emotive animals.

I think the story is still solid 25 years later. It didn't feel rushed to me at all, in fact the new script does a good job of hitting character themes and arcs hard earlier in the movie, but I may just not be remembering the original well enough.

I definitely think there will be a big divide between critics and audiences on this one. They seemed to really hate it when I'd say it's one of the better nights at the movies we are going to get this summer.
atm0812
AG
Was that a prediction or report?

I'm seeing $78M reported for opening day.

$10M ahead of Beauty and the Beast, but probably heading toward closer to $185M total.

Par for the Disney summer. Great numbers, but not up to the sky high expectations going in.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Fat Bib Fortuna
C@LAg said:

and formal estimates at this time are 190-200.
Are these estimates delivered by guys in tuxedos?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Early projections based just on the opening day. Could vary quite a bit from there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot to mention in my review, the Beauty and the Beast reference got a HUGE reaction in my theater. Probably the biggest laugh in the movie.
cr0wbar
AG
went and saw it in Richmond at the new Samsung Onyx screen. Felt the music and voice acting was lacking. CGI has come a long way.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Review:
-You know the story. Basically zero change.
-Animation is insane. Incredible how far it has come in 25 year.
-I liked old Scar better.
-Pig & meerkat were funny.
-Hyenas were less funny and more menacing.
-Fun time for all.

Ol Jock 99
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Forgot to mention in my review, the Beauty and the Beast reference got a HUGE reaction in my theater. Probably the biggest laugh in the movie.

Calling Zaza, aka John Oliver, a puffin was pretty hilarious too.
Grapesoda2525
Random question.....

Why do people clap in movie theaters? It's not like the actors and actresses who did the performance will hear it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Grapesoda2525 said:

Random question.....

Why do people clap in movie theaters? It's not like the actors and actresses who did the performance will hear it.
Why do you cheer for your favorite teams when you watch them on TV?
TCTTS
AG
Good point. I've never understood why people question this (and I've only ever seen people question it on TexAgs). Clapping/cheering is an expression of joy/appreciation/enthusiasm whether the originators of that enthusiasm hear it or not. Plus, it's fun as hell when it happens in a theater with a big crowd for a great movie.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
The lion king was my favorite Disney movie growing up. Went into this having read a bunch of criticism and had very low expectations, but I thought it was really good. My group enjoyed it a lot. Some fun surprises and jokes, and the visuals were phenomenal.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Random question.....

This got some applause and cheering from me the first time I saw it:...

.....because it was f***ing awesome.
Fat Bib Fortuna
GiveEmHellBill said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Random question.....

This got some applause and cheering from me the first time I saw it:...

.....because it was f***ing awesome.

When this happened, I'm pretty sure they had no dialogue for the next 5-10 seconds because they anticipatedt he applause.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've read that cheering was common in the 70s / early 80s, but in my movie going lifetime, seems to be a fairly recent thing. The first movie I witnessed clapping at the end was the JJ Abrams Star Trek. People cheered when Houston got nuked in Independence Day, but I was living in Houston.
TCTTS
AG
First time I ever heard cheering in a theater was '97, when the first Godzilla teaser played before Men In Black. When that huge Godzilla foot stomped through the museum roof and crushed the t-rex skeleton, people lost their minds...

TheEyeGuy
AG
Well, ready to watch at Alamo in Katy
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Olsen
AG
I don't see Frozen 2 making more box office money than TLK right now even on the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. It will make more money than Toy Story 4 though.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Olsen said:

I don't see Frozen 2 making more box office money than TLK right now even on the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. It will make more money than Toy Story 4 though.

Maybe, maybe not.

It's hard to fathom the popularity of the characters from Frozen, though. Go to Disney World and look at the number of girls dressed as them as compared to all other princesses. And the lines to see them dwarf all other character lines. It's crazy. Thank God I have boys.

But I think it's impossible to predict if Frozen 2 will do better than the first one since the first one did amazingly well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't quite get to $200M OW. Still, bested my prediction of 175.

$192M domestic, and already at $530M+ worldwide.

Obviously broke the July opening record (HP7) and the best Disney opening ever. (Outside of Marvel and SW.)

It'll be interesting to see how well this holds in the next few weeks.
Grapesoda2525
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't quite get to $200M OW. Still, bested my prediction of 175.

$192M domestic, and already at $530M+ worldwide.

Obviously broke the July opening record (HP7) and the best Disney opening ever. (Outside of Marvel and SW.)

It'll be interesting to see how well this holds in the next few weeks.
The real test should be how it does after next weekend. That's probably when people start thinking about going back to school.
Jack Bristow
AG
Cinematography and graphics were amazing, but to me it lost the heart of the original. Hard to convey the non-verbal emotions in the characters with such life like animals.

I was also disappointed that they lost the key dialogue between Simba and Rafiki: "yes, the past can hurt...but you can either run from it or learn from it" (paraphrased)

I remember taking a few of the lines from the original to heart, that they were teaching a lesson to the kids. Those lines stayed with me. This one lost that in my opinion. Kids will love it and it's enjoyable, but I don't think it will be one that parents feel they must share with their kids the way the animated was.
Olsen
AG
I just finished watching the movie. Disney should've asked Jeremy Irons to reprise his role as Scar again.
CoachRTM
AG
Meh.

Negatives -
- Glover and Beyonce were disappointing. Especially Beyonce - I think she tried, it just took me out of the movie.
- Ejiofor just didn't have the "Scar" about him. More of a compliment to Irons as opposed to a slight at Ejiofor.
- I didn't like the rendition of "Be Prepared"

Positives
- Loved the fight between Scar and Simba. Did a really good job of mimicking the "slow motion" from the original
- Eichner and Rogan stole the show
- New additions - Beauty and the Beast reference, "farted"... little things here or there.
- Thought the kids that were young Simba and Nala did really well.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Olsen said:

I just finished watching the movie. Disney should've asked Jeremy Irons to reprise his role as Scar again.

He's not woke enough
Bob_Ag
AG
Took 6 year old this weekend, was pumped about it all week. Pretty meh IMO, wife thought so too. The original had a lot of powerful dialogue and moments. This one just seem to fall flat in those same scenes. I did think the bird was funny.
bbattbq01
AG
I think I fell asleep shortly after simba met timon and pumba. Nala attack woke me up.

Didn't feel as engaging as the original. Combination of what a lot of other posters have already said.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.