Lion King remake, Jon Favreau

50,891 Views | 406 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Olsen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady
AG
(Before click trailer)

***remember...you weren't that hyped about this film...it's all CGI...don't go in with any expectations and just take it for what it is***

(After watching trailer)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow. Did not expect this to drop today, sandwiched between Dumbo and Avengers, and 2 days before Star Wars IX trailer.
lunchbox
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wow. Did not expect this to drop today, sandwiched between Dumbo and Avengers, and 2 days before Star Wars IX trailer.
Lion King is 100 days out so maybe we can look to see if Disney continues the trend with future trailer drops...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That music!
That Hakuna Matata transition!
The Lion Sleeps tonight!

Hell yes.
double aught
AG
So is some of the movie footage of actual animals? If not, the CGI is damn impressive.
jokershady
AG
double aught said:

So is some of it footage of actual animals? If not, the CGI is damn impressive?
That's what I'm wondering.

Either the CGI is crazy impressive or they're combining real/practical effects with CGI so it's difficult for our eyes to tell the difference (this is the main reason why Jurassic Park still holds up today)
FancyKetchup14
AG
Holy sh*t. That looks awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$2 billion worldwide
Olsen
AG
At first, I didn't think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be able to replicate Jeremy Irons' role as Scar in the original film. But now, I think I can finally come around that.
Engine10
AG
Rolling the opening music into the King of Pride Rock eargasm moment just isn't fair. I can't wait.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Collective
AG
Wow.
Gigem314
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

At first, I didn't think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be able to replicate Jeremy Irons' role as Scar in the original film. But now, I think I can finally come around that.
Not sure he replicates it. Irons had such a deeper, more sinister, tone that fit the role so well. Still wish Irons could have reprised the role.

That being said, the visuals on this look AMAZING...and that will be what ultimately draws people in.

And "D-Bob" is an outstanding director. He doesn't typically disappoint.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Can't fuxking wait.
Vernada
AG
holy moly

looks so terrific
Big Al 1992
AG
I'm sure it's already built in to the price but yeah I'm gonna get some more Disney stock. This is gonna be huge.

That trailer exceeded all expectations. Wow!
The Collective
AG
Gigem314 said:

"D-Bob"

atm0812
AG
Gigem314 said:

Good Aggie Hunting said:

Not sure he replicates it. Irons had such a deeper, more sinister, tone that fit the role so well. Still wish Irons could have reprised the role.

That being said, the visuals on this look AMAZING...and that will be what ultimately draws people in.

And "D-Bob" is an outstanding director. He doesn't typically disappoint.
Not to derail the excitement by rehashing the bizarre rules of CGI African animal voice casting, but SNL had a good take on this topic recently during their "Can I play that?" sketch.

And yes, the visuals are incredible. After a brief Dumbo related break, Disney execs can resume their Scrooge McDuck swim lessons.
wangus12
AG
Lion King was probably the first movie I saw in theaters as a kid. That looks incredible
fig96
AG
Fenrir said:

fig96 said:

Or maybe I'm just bringing up a reasonably worded discussion point in a topic about a film that so far is almost identical to the original except for the animation style. (It was literally a parenthetical mention in my post.)

It's possible to talk about things or bring up a point without "crying".

Are we seriously going to work on the assumption that the movie is a complete shot for shot ripoff because a 90 second trailer repeated several iconic shots from the original?

Seems a bit premature to make that call.
It's seeming less and less premature...

Personally, this doesn't excite me though I look to be in the minority. It looks great visually, but I can't see this being more effective in telling the story than the original.

Will it make a bunch of money? I'll be surprised if it doesn't.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This doesn't excite me at all. It looks like a bunch of animals running around with voices added to it. There's no expression. It all just seems to real, so its hard for me to wrap my head around that this is supposed to be a human story with animals doing human things. This feels more like a nature documentary set to Lion King. I guess for me, anthropomorphism is better suited to traditional animation.
Big Al 1992
AG
People said similar things about LK on Broadway - everyone already knows the songs and the story - big meh. It's still setting records on Broadway and on tour.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gonna sound like a broken record, but PLEASE have this in the movie. (Give it to Nala/Beyonce, of course.)

AgMarauder04
AG
Do we expect full-tilt on replicating the Mufasa death and Simba trying to wake him?
Olsen
AG

Olsen
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie is going to make all the money.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nala speaks.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Shahrukh Khan (biggest Bollywood star in the world) and his son will be playing Mufasa / Simba in the Indian dub.

That's gonna be huge for the Indian BO.
TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
Remember everyone, Beyonce fans are the most hateful group of people on the planet if you mess with her so critics better be careful. Danger anger the beehive
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.