Silicon Valley - Season 3

104,778 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I'd bet money that the end was part of their plan.

Yep. My thoughts as well. Act the part
Sex Panther
AG
Anybody know the Ratatat song playing during the montage?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I'm also a little tired of having a new problem every week that is going to make them literally lose everything.

I don't really understand this and the "it's always two steps forward, one step back" complaints...

What exactly do you guys want to happen? They just build a company from scratch and everything goes smoothly? This is what having a startup is like.
AgPediRPh
AG
quote:
I admit Django was genius.

Sorry Django
double aught
AG
quote:
I'd bet money that the end was part of their plan.
I really hope so. I thought the episode was great up until that point.
double aught
AG
quote:
quote:
IiI'm also a little tired of having a new problem every week that is going to make them literally lose everything.

I don't really understand this and the "it's always two steps forward, one step back" complaints...

What exactly do you guys want to happen? They just build a company from scratch and everything goes smoothly? This is what having a startup is like.
Tonight's episode was a great idea for a storyline. They could get some good mileage out of the whole skunk works subterfuge. Hopefully it didn't all end with Richard's trip.
jtmoney03
AG
quote:
quote:
I admit Django was genius.

followed by cypress halal had me laughing.

Okay Jared, settle down.
jtmoney03
AG
So before you waste time with some free form, jazz oddesey of masturbatory bull****, just tell me what concrete information you have for me, that I don't already possess!
Muy
AG
Now we have people on our internal conference calls announcing their first and last name, and which region they represent.
Furlock Bones
AG
outside of the chain jokes. that was a piss poor episode.
Prophet00
AG
Looked around, and found this:

Sounds like it hasn't been released yet.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm also a little tired of having a new problem every week that is going to make them literally lose everything.
I'm about as tired of this as I am the Peter Gregory is dead joke.
yup. neither of these funny.
Really???
quote:
quote:

Peter Gregory is dead.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jared was absolutely hilarious this episode.

"Nice gold chain, do you use it to choke your mother when you put your ***** in her butthole?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That said, Richard tripping made me groan. How many ways can they possibly create for these guys to **** up?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Jared was absolutely hilarious this episode.

"Nice gold chain, do you use it to choke your mother when you put your ***** in her butthole?"
agreed.....and i had become a little tired of the Jared's entire life is a pathetic beatdown, so this was a nice change. And I expected his jokes to bomb but he nailed a couple at least. A couple were a little long winded or over the top as you would expect.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:
yup. neither of these funny.

Dude...Peter Gregory is dead.
Boiling Denim
Per reddit part of the real Meinertzhagen's Haversack ploy were leaking fake plans to a fake diversion so the real diversion could take place

Looks like Jack will be chasing his tail looking for the Skunkworks plan happening while they work on the real platform behind the scenes
Trident 88
AG
quote:
free form jazz odyssey
Did somebody say free form jazz?
BassCowboy33
quote:
Per reddit part of the real Meinertzhagen's Haversack ploy were leaking fake plans to a fake diversion so the real diversion could take place

Looks like Jack will be chasing his tail looking for the Skunkworks plan happening while they work on the real platform behind the scenes

Honestly, it seemed pretty obvious. I'm surprised so many on here took the bait. I'd be far more shocked if that wasn't their plan.
Bunk Moreland
agree.
Longhorn Nation
I didn't see it mentioned, but one of the funniest parts of last night's episode was the time-elapsed scene - focus on Erlich sitting in the chair hitting the bong(s).
Sentinel
AG
Jian Yang really wanted some pizza.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Cypress Hilal

****ing died

Yea for me that joke was "pause the show I'm laughing so hard" funny
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
That said, Richard tripping made me groan. How many ways can they possibly create for these guys to **** up?

Maybe I'm alone in this line of thinking, but I thought that was hilarious. Shows always provide some unlikely deus ex solution that viewers accept, but know is exceedingly unlikely. Judge gave us 5-10 minutes of planning by the guys, feigning like he was doing the same cliched thing, and then Richard barely made it off the elevator before tripping and F'ing it up.

I thought that was a perfect and hilarious parody.
inch05
AG
so maybe big head comes in and saves the day some how?
MW03
AG
My personal favorite was "It's a shame Bel Biv Dinesh, he's right. Unfortunately, that chain is poisonnnn."

That and his George Washington rif about a little start-up called these United States of America. "He too was getting **** on by his CEO, THE KING OF ENGLAND. Did he roll over and take it? No. He called on his ride or die homeboys. Tommy Jefferson. Benny Franklin. Alexander Hamilton, who was half-black, so that's Dinesh."
MW03
AG
quote:
quote:

Maybe I'm alone in this line of thinking, but I thought that was hilarious. Shows always provide some unlikely deus ex solution that viewers accept, but know is exceedingly unlikely. Judge gave us 5-10 minutes of planning by the guys, feigning like he was doing the same cliched thing, and then Richard barely made it off the elevator before tripping and F'ing it up.

Same thought here. Judge was making fun of a heist movie like the referenced Ocean's 11. This intricate, meticulously planned and ridiculous idea where everything has to go right. Foiled before it even starts because Richard trips. Reminded me a lot of Office Space down to the engineer ripping them off for 40 issues of Vibe and wiki'ing "money laundering."
Trident 88
AG
quote:
so maybe big head comes in and saves the day some how?
Looks like Bighead may have started his own incubator with the $20 mil severance package.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
quote:

Same thought here. Judge was making fun of a heist movie like the referenced Ocean's 11. This intricate, meticulously planned and ridiculous idea where everything has to go right. Foiled before it even starts because Richard trips. Reminded me a lot of Office Space down to the engineer ripping them off for 40 issues of Vibe and wiki'ing "money laundering."

Again, if you actually look up Meinertzhagen's Haversack, you'll find that part of the deception calls for allowing a false plan to fall into enemy hands in order to create a diversion. This is all part of their plan.

C'mon guys, we're smarter than this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Cypress Hilal

****ing died

Can someone explain this joke for me? Also, I didn't understand the Poison reference either.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cypress Hilal

****ing died

Can someone explain this joke for me? Also, I didn't understand the Poison reference either.
Both Cypress Hill and Bel Biv Devoe wore thin gold chains. Its a hip hop thing.

And Halal is a type of ethnic food from Dinesh's region of the world.
BassCowboy33
quote:

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
a good explanation i found:

quote:

The episode's title is "Meinertzhagen's Haversack," a term that Jared had to explain during the course of setting up the ruse. "It's a principal of military deception," he explained. "Essentially, it means you have to continue to act the part. As far as anyone knows, we're still building a box that we hate, so we need to act like it."

That's not exactly right.

Without getting too deep into the specifics, Meinertzhagen's Haversack is actually a reference to the Haversack Ruse, employed by British Colonel Richard Meinertzhagen during World War I. In 1917, the British were having a difficult time defeating Turkey and taking Gaza. They'd unsuccessfully mounted two attacks without success. However, before the third attempt, Colonel Meinertzhagen doctored a bunch of fake war plans, put them in his bag, tricked a few Turkish soldiers to chase him on horseback, and during the course of the chase, Meinertzhagen dropped the bag. He'd also gotten horse blood on the bag, to make it seem as though he were injured being chased, and he left a big wad of money inside, to make it seem as though it was a bag he really didn't want to lose.

The Turkish soldiers found the bag or haversack and were so convinced that the documents inside were authentic that they sent them up the chain to Turkish intelligence. Turkish military planners then game planned their war strategy accordingly. They were expecting to be attacked from one side, when in fact they were attacked from another. The ploy worked, and the British took Gaza.

What does this have to do with the "twist" at the end of tonight's episode of Silicon Valley? Well, the Haversack Ruse involved dropping a bag with fake plans inside and letting the enemy find it. At the end of the episode, Richard dropped his folder, and the enemy found the documents.

But what if that's what Richard wanted Jack to find the entire time?

In other words, dropping the bag and having Jack find it was all part of the ruse. In the moment, when Dinish, Jared, and Gilfoyle were expressing anger at Richard for dropping the plans, they were all playing the part. They were, metaphorically speaking, wiping blood on the bag and leaving a big wad of money inside to convince Jack that the plans inside were real. He didn't trip on the hose by accident he actually glanced at the hose a second before he turned, looked at nothing in particular, said "What the ****?" and tripped over it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.