Silicon Valley - Season 3

104,629 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bighead and Ehrlich together is greatness
et98
AG
Wasn't there a clause in Big Head's $20M severance where he couldn't say anything bad about Gavin Belson?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
They used to call me gl*******
johnmyu
Lol - that would be great if Erlich ends up losing half his house to Big Head and BH loses everything back to Hooli for breaking the severance clause.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Jared is hilariously damaged.

Biological father is a militant in the Ozarks... CPS etc

"Ever seen a dead naked body" - No follow up by him on comment lol
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
Bachmanity...he provides Bachman, I provide etti. We both get 2 syllables

jtmoney03
AG
Enough with maritime metaphors.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:
Bachmanity...he provides Bachman, I provide etti. We both get 2 syllables

After it was implied that since big head supplied the capital for "Bachman Capital" that Ehrlich balked at the idea because big head got more syllables.
Jim01
AG
Man this is really a show that succeeds in spite of itself. Some great lines as always but I find the plot to be becoming incredibly tiring.

You fought all that time to build the platform, then you have the chance and it took you 10 f'ing days to decide you should be building the platform instead of sitting on your arse?

Oh he's mouthing off.. let me guess the reveal is that it's the interviewer he's mouthing off to? Shocking!

And the bit about needing to drill a hole in the hard drives to wipe them... let me guess a hard drive issue will come up later in the episode??? Say it isn't so!!!
Pasquale Liucci
AG
I'll admit, this episode really did wear on me. It's been stated on here multiple times, but it's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back for these guys it seems like. It can get really tiresome.
Trident 88
AG
Laurietron6000
mazag08
AG
quote:
I'll admit, this episode really did wear on me. It's been stated on here multiple times, but it's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back for these guys it seems like. It can get really tiresome.

This episode seemingly wrapped up the whole "corporate environment" failure and threw in as many cliche pieces as it could. I'm really hoping they got it out of the way so that the story can progress forward finally.
Btron
AG
Laurie has some ultimate Vocal Fry going on. I'm sure that is intentional.
Muy
AG
Need more Bighead. His sheer ignorance and stupidity has been the most successful enterprise on the show, and now that he provided Intel on Hoolie, he's going to lose it.... or somehow increase his net worth 10x.
Cynical_Texan
AG
quote:
Need more Bighead. His sheer ignorance and stupidity has been the most successful enterprise on the show, and now that he provided Intel on Hoolie, he's going to lose it.... or somehow increase his net worth 10x.
At some point in this show Bighead will be considered one of the most powerful people in Silicon Valley. Judge usually rolls that way.
Ragoo
AG
just saw this on our IT's home page, did we buy a ****tier version of "the box"

https://www.f5.com/pdf/products/viprion-overview-ds.pdf
Ragoo
AG
quote:
Man this is really a show that succeeds in spite of itself. Some great lines as always but I find the plot to be becoming incredibly tiring.

You fought all that time to build the platform, then you have the chance and it took you 10 f'ing days to decide you should be building the platform instead of sitting on your arse?

Oh he's mouthing off.. let me guess the reveal is that it's the interviewer he's mouthing off to? Shocking!

And the bit about needing to drill a hole in the hard drives to wipe them... let me guess a hard drive issue will come up later in the episode??? Say it isn't so!!!
for me it is less about the overall narrative and more about the interactions of the characters.
CivilAg10
AG
Quick question about the story Bighead told the reporter:
During the meeting with Gavin and the engineers, I recall the idea of scrubbing being brought up but shot down because of ethical implications. Instead of scrubbing, the engineers came up with the idea of burying the negative Hooli news/stories by promoting other content (this exercise was what led to the engineers cracking middle-out). Was Bighead's story misinformation/incorrect?

Edit: the above is just from my memory so I may have this out of whack.
Jim01
AG
Agreed which is why i think the show ultimately succeeds, but it could jsut be better if it stepped up the plot even a little.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

for me it is less about the overall narrative and more about the interactions of the characters.

So it is "lost in silicon valley"?
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
During the meeting with Gavin and the engineers, I recall the idea of scrubbing being brought up but shot down because of ethical implications. Instead of scrubbing, the engineers came up with the idea of burying the negative Hooli news/stories by promoting other content (this exercise was what led to the engineers cracking middle-out). Was Bighead's story misinformation/incorrect?

I remember this too.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
quote:

I remember this too.
That did happen, but Bighead acted like Gavin told them to wipe the Hooli servers other times besides that one IMO.
hph6203
AG
quote:
just saw this on our IT's home page, did we buy a ****tier version of "the box"

https://www.f5.com/pdf/products/viprion-overview-ds.pdf

No, the box in Silicon Valley is a data compression and storage device, this is a server for delivering applications to users. There's server farms and data farms, this is for the former. It's also not so much that the box is a bad device, it's just not as exciting or impactful on a large scale as the platform (helps the big guys like Google, not you directly)

The deal with Hooli is that they took internal knowledge about the Hooli algorithm and exploited it in order to bury negative press. The real world analog for Hooli is Google, and it'd be like Google doing the same thing to hide their failures (like if Android had been a total pile of **** at launch, rather than mostly disappointing).

I'm not sure if it's so much that they committed an actual crime, or if it's that consumers will lose all confidence in the search results you receive, because you don't know how much manipulation of the data is going on behind the scenes.

The CEO of Google ordering their algorithm to be exploited and manipulated is a way bigger story than the CTO of a tech startup that's likely mostly unknown outside of Silicon Valley having a melt down and bad mouthing the majority investor of his company. One is a day long discussion, the other could seriously impact the financial future of one of the largest companies in the world. Pied Piper is nothing in comparison to Hooli as far as household names go, at least that's supposed to be the assumption.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I remember this too.
That did happen, but Bighead acted like Gavin told them to wipe the Hooli servers other times besides that one IMO.
And also when the team figured out Middle Out compression it kind of seemed like they just decided to bail rather than finish out their severance period. So maybe Belson went ahead and did it the easy way.
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I remember this too.
Right. But did Gavin actually tell them to wipe servers at other times or is Bighead just remembering incorrectly or making **** up?
BowSowy
AG
I don't remember big head being in the room for the scene in the show. Maybe the implication is that he heard something different another time?
Hickory High
AG
quote:
I don't remember big head being in the room for the scene in the show. Maybe the implication is that he heard something different another time?

That's what I think. Bighead is a lot of things, but he's not a liar.
Btron
AG
quote:

Bighead probably was hanging out with friends on the roof and they told him or some former hooli folks in his incubator
hph6203
AG
They never discussed wiping servers or deleting information. Hooli is a search engine, they can't delete information from other people's servers. Gavin and the Hooli engineers discussed getting rid of the negative information, and the engineers said it would be immoral for Hooli engineers to modify the search algorithm to hide negative results about Gavin, Hooli and Nucleus. Gavin says no Hooli engineers would be asked to modify the algorithm, they then ask the Nucleus engineers to bury the negative news by promoting positive news to the top by clicking through to those links after searching for certain keywords. Bighead comes across this information off screen.

This is as damaging to Hooli's reputation as them actually changing the Hooli algorithm, but doesn't leave evidence in the code so it's harder to discover, as long as someone doesn't break their NDA, thus forfeiting their severance package.

Future episode the news will break, they'll find out Bighead was the source and they'll attempt to recoup his severance, but it's going to turn out that he signed the severance paperwork with his legal name and the NDA as "Bighead". "That's funny, none of my signatures match. Look I signed this one as Bighead, that's definitely not gonna hold up." He'll get to keep his $20 million and will yet again be rich because of his stupidity.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Damn you
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
sounds about right and pretty predictable. I latched onto the signatures thing, you start to notice these things they float out there that payoff later, but had not yet figured out where it would come into play.

k20dub
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
Future episode the news will break, they'll find out Bighead was the source and they'll attempt to recoup his severance, but it's going to turn out that he signed the severance paperwork with his legal name and the NDA as "Bighead". "That's funny, none of my signatures match. Look I signed this one as Bighead, that's definitely not gonna hold up." He'll get to keep his $20 million and will yet again be rich because of his stupidity.
Nice. I noticed the signatures bit and was wondering where it would be brought up again. I actually thought he was signing his contract with Erlich and didn't realize it was his NDA.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
That's what I thought as well.
Quinn
AG
I'm pretty sure it was his contract with Elrich, but it is just a tease for the fact that he is inconsistent with his signatures. I'd be pretty surprised if that exact story line doesn't play out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.