Silicon Valley - Season 3

104,631 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm convinced it's a ruse now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But why would the ruse be to make them think they're building the platform, when it's what they're actually planning to do?
Sentinel
AG
For the poison reference:

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
But why would the ruse be to make them think they're building the platform, when it's what they're actually planning to do?

As an engineer and engineering manager, honestly, they could spend weeks coding anything they wanted. Nobody would know if the entire engineering team is in on it.

Seriously no executive or marketing person could tell a damn thing about what the code would actually do.

they could use names in code for functions, variables, etc. that included terms for the storage appliance as long as they all knew what they mean in reality. And they could stall on any demo or anything saying its not ready or needs a key piece so they can get it very nearly done before showing anyone anything.

Meanwhile they ***** about having to work on the storage device and act disgruntled (not hard).

More than once my teams reported on stuff we were not actually working on...not joking...because we knew the project was doomed or going to get cancelled or other groups were further behind than we were. You can say you are 25, 50, 75% done for a long time. You can fake reports easily. Hell you can fake demos easily. I think all of that is part of the plan. Jared will make massive reports on nothing. The engineers will ***** about what they are working on and secretly be developing the platform.
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:

As an engineer and engineering manager, honestly, they could spend weeks coding anything they wanted. Nobody would know if the entire engineering team is in on it.

Seriously no executive or marketing person could tell a damn thing about what the code would actually do.

they could use names in code for functions, variables, etc. that included terms for the storage appliance as long as they all knew what they mean in reality. And they could stall on any demo or anything saying its not ready or needs a key piece so they can get it very nearly done before showing anyone anything.

Meanwhile they ***** about having to work on the storage device and act disgruntled (not hard).

More than once my teams reported on stuff we were not actually working on...not joking...because we knew the project was doomed or going to get cancelled or other groups were further behind than we were. You can say you are 25, 50, 75% done for a long time. You can fake reports easily. Hell you can fake demos easily. I think all of that is part of the plan. Jared will make massive reports on nothing. The engineers will ***** about what they are working on and secretly be developing the platform.

We also don't know what was in that folder. They easily could have devised something different that they wanted discovered.
Bunk Moreland
yes. it's the classic ruse. fake documents that get "discovered." Barker will now be "on to them" demanding project updates, etc....which Jared will happily provide. They'll continue to play the frustrated "ahh shucks they caught us" and still implement the exact plan.

exposing the plan as part of the ruse adds an added level of assurance to Barker that there wont be shenanigans going forward because he already caught them.
MW03
AG
Unrelated note: This series currently has the best soundtrack in TV. There's something awesome about these guys getting off the elevator to Rick Ross.

Bunk Moreland
quote:
Unrelated note: This series currently has the best soundtrack in TV. There's something awesome about these guys getting off the elevator to Rick Ross.

Did it remind you of the Ice Cube - Down for Whatever scene in Office Space when they install the virus?
Professor Frick
AG
Assuming this is a ruse, I think the way they edited the elevator doors closing on the first floor as we all anticipate the chain jokes, then opening on the second floor, it sets it up for a nice little flashback later in the season where we see what went on in that short elevator ride, with them presumably making sure the ruse was ready.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Assuming this is a ruse, I think the way they edited the elevator doors closing on the first floor as we all anticipate the chain jokes, then opening on the second floor, it sets it up for a nice little flashback later in the season where we see what went on in that short elevator ride, with them presumably making sure the ruse was ready.

Like that from that movie with Julia Roberts and 11 men.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watch it, bud.
Who you calling bud, pal?
Who you calling pal, friend?
Who you calling friend, jackass?!
Don't call me a jackass.
I just did call you a jackass.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cypress Hilal

****ing died

Yea for me that joke was "pause the show I'm laughing so hard" funny
Can someone explain this joke for me? Also, I didn't understand the Poison reference either.
Both Cypress Hill and Bel Biv Devoe wore thin gold chains. Its a hip hop thing.

And Halal is a type of ethnic food from Dinesh's region of the world.

Also, erlich said that the chain was insane, and not in the membrane. "Insane in the membrane" is a Cypress Hill song.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
quote:
so maybe big head comes in and saves the day some how?
Looks like Bighead may have started his own incubator with the $20 mil severance package.
a bighead incubator would be awesome but it seems like a lot of work to setup
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Looks like Bighead may have started his own incubator with the $20 mil severance package.

anything though to drive Erlich insane is great.....and with them mostly moving out of his place now he needs a storyline and nemesis of sorts. having to outrecruit the moron bighead for incubatees is great. bighead is loaded although Erlich may have all the swag that Gylfoil got sent to the house.

could be fun.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
He probably paid people to set it up for him.
Swarely
quote:
quote:

Like that from that movie with Julia Roberts and 11 men.

I hope they keep Jared making Julia Roberts references along with his shady German past.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought they had a missed opportunity with Jack's "If you shoot the King, you better kill him" line.

It would've been hilarious if this 60 year old, bald, tech dork, went full Omar with, "You come at the King, you best not miss..."

and then whistled 'The Farmer In The Dell' while Richard rushed out of the office
CheeseSndwch
Anyone catch the ID badge on the guy giving the tour of the rack space? He looked young and full of life instead of downtrodden and defeated.

Nice touch.
BassCowboy33
quote:
Anyone catch the ID badge on the guy giving the tour of the rack space? He looked young and full of life instead of downtrodden and defeated.

Nice touch.

Yes. Hysterical.
Duncan Idaho
I used to keep two set of books when I managed a development team.

The set for my boss showed what we HAD to get in the build. The set for my team showed what we wanted to get in the build.
Btron
AG
quote:

Nice touch.

He also had a blackberry on his hip
PooDoo
AG
How much does Raviga have in Pied Piper?

$10 mil after Tech Crunch plus buying out Hanneman's $5 mil?

Think Big Head is going to buy Pied Piper with his $20 mil severance?
jh0400
AG
I haven't pieced it together, but I'm going to guess that Pied Piper has done at least three rounds. $20MM in a D round doesn't buy nearly as much as $10MM in an A round.
Swarely
quote:

Nice touch.

Andy07
AG
quote:
I thought they had a missed opportunity with Jack's "If you shoot the King, you better kill him" line.

It would've been hilarious if this 60 year old, bald, tech dork, went full Omar with, "You come at the King, you best not miss..."

and then whistled 'The Farmer In The Dell' while Richard rushed out of the office

I knew that quote sounded just a little off. I was looking for the Omar one too
PatAg
AG
quote:

I thought that was exactly what they were doing, but it was more accuratw and funnier for him to misquote it/use correct grammar.
Professor Frick
AG
Sorry if this another super obvious thing that's been covered before, but I just realized where I recognized Gavin Belson from:

cone
AG
oh wow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy ****!
Complete Idiot
Professor Frick
AG
Oh yeah, that one too !
Muy
AG
Wasn't he also a character in the HBO show "Big Love"?
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
Wasn't he also a character in the HBO show "Big Love"?
MW03
AG

Rudyjax
AG
quote:

Whatever happened to Chris Young?

We know that Jeremy Piven became a Dbag, and Jon Favreau a fattie movie director.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.