Silicon Valley - Season 3

104,623 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
don't use forum code. just copy and paste.
MW03
AG
You have to delete the reference pointer from the web address

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-x-astro-teller-hbo-silicon-valley-2016-6

Google's moonshot boss reportedly huffed out of a meeting with the writers of HBO's 'Silicon Valley'

quote:
According to The New Yorker report, the writers of "Silicon Valley" met with Astro Teller, the head of X, formerly known as Google X the division of Google parent company Alphabetresponsible for "moonshot" projects, including Google Glass and self-driving cars. That meeting ended poorly, with Teller "standing up in a huff" and making a dramatic exit, says the report.

quote:
The funniest part, Kemper says, is that Teller's attempt at a big exit was a bit awkward because he was wearing Rollerblades. He "wobbled" to the door and struggled to get the door open with his ID badge ... all in clear view of the gathered "Silicon Valley" writers.
Bunk Moreland
you forgot to quote the best part of that story...

quote:
The writers weighed turning the event into a joke, but decided that it was "too hacky to use on the show," Kemper told The New Yorker.

ham98
quote:
you forgot to quote the best part of that story...

quote:
The writers weighed turning the event into a joke, but decided that it was "too hacky to use on the show," Kemper told The New Yorker.

It's totally going to show up in a future episode(I'm guessing)
BassCowboy33
quote:
BigHead will be rich again. I have a feeling in the shows final episode, Mike Judge will make the statement that dumb people are just as likely to strike it rich as hard working smart people.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bowling balls had some sort of hidden value. That'd be a very Bighead way of doing things
Sentinel
AG
The way Erlich says San Francisco.
Objective Aggie
AG
Meh.
Boiling Denim
I like what they did with Elrich bringing him into the fold. As a board-only guy he looked to be getting written out of the show but as head PR guy he'll be back in the thick of it. This should hopefully bring back the full group dynamic.
double aught
AG
Dinesh and (especially) Gilfoyle are the best. I loved the coffee shop scene.
Tobias Funke
AG
Pescapescatarian
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
Pescapescatarian
thought that was incredibly Erlich.
MrPlow2010
AG
Jarod asked you nicely to step back, so step the f*** back
Max Power
AG
That jacket is ****ing awesome, even more awesome was Gilfoyle saying he wouldn't cover his dead mothers naked body in the street with the jacket.
MrPlow2010
AG
Jared calling Gilfoyle "Gilf" was awesome
HeadGames
AG
"That's mighty Christian of you Gilfoyle."
Duncan Idaho
The best the about the jacket was the rats on the sleeve
Professor Frick
AG
That episode title was some great punnage

"Bachman's Earning's Over-ride"
Professor Frick
AG
"She pulled her pants down and ****ed us, in front of our parents"

"Did that happen to you...?"
jtmoney03
AG
quote:
Also, I'd like to see Russ return at some point. He's great in small doses.
You got your wish last night...and in the perfect dose!
BassCowboy33
quote:
quote:
Also, I'd like to see Russ return at some point. He's great in small doses.
You got your wish last night...and in the perfect dose!

Love me some Russ.
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:
The best the about the jacket was the rats on the sleeve

I didnt register to me that that's what that was... I just laughed out loud reading this while on a conference call
Duncan Idaho
This episode hit kind of close to home. About 5 years ago, I had an offer on the table from a startup and they kept saying "don't think too much about the salary. Most of your comp is the stock."

So I start asking about strike prices, last round valuation, number of shares, classes of shares, "tags and drags", triggering events, shareholder agreements, voting rights,etc.

Hiring manager couldn't answer my questions, so I got sent to hr. They couldn't answer my questions, so I get passed to the CFO. His response"who do you think you are asking these questions? We have hired 50 people in the last couple of months and no one has asked anything like this ". He didn't really have an answer when I ask him why that didn't scare him and question the quality of these hires"

I worked there for exactly 6 hours
double aught
AG
Well, how did the startup do?
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
Carlo4
AG
Did it just sell to Microsoft for $23 billion?
Bunk Moreland
26.2b
AgPediRPh
AG
-- Sounds mighty Christian of you, Gilfoyle

-- There's no need for hate speech, Richard
cr06gis
AG
Well, she was the only one that ordered a jacket
Duncan Idaho
quote:

A buddy of mine still works there. they are still in business, but they are still private with no plans to go public or be acquired. So none of the employee stock is worth anything and probably won't ever be since the shareholder agreement had pretty horrible payback provisions absent a triggering event. It was the buyback provisions that bit Blaucman that I found familiar
AlaskanAg99
AG
I was recruited for a tech/mobile company and they relocated me to the beach. $35k ('00) a year and they hyped the **** out of their stock. At $168 share. Every day I was there the stock sank, and weekly they were hyping it and trying to get employees to buy more.

Then the founders started selling off, and we were told not to worry. 9 months after I was hired I was laid off in the 6th round. A month later they closed their west coast office.

Employees were basically looting anything not bolted down on their way out. Happy I never bought another share.
TraditionsPD
AG
MW03
AG
quote:
Muy
AG
I got lucky with my tech startup gig in 2003, but I give a lot of that to the company being grounded, fiscally responsible, hard-working and smart. Because they were in the Midwest with a great culture and people didn't jump around all the time. Best 11 years of my life and it paid off.

Back at another startup based in the Northeast and it is much closer to Silicon Valley in terms of the kinds of things that are important to other employees. Things completely unrelated to building a great company.
Muy
AG
I'm intrigued by Gavin's calm ending as he boards a jet to take a break. What is he going to learn from the short-term PP CEO tha's going to get him back in the game?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.