Silicon Valley - Season 3

104,626 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jared seems to be slipping more into a half lucid dreamy state so I'm just waiting for the German to start slipping into normal conversations. Maybe he'll scare off the squatter by going full on angry german nazi

Btron
AG
I am very far removed from the tech world.

Can someone explain what happened this episode? They went from a customer focused platform, to company facing platform, to getting rid of a software that learns as it works, to a "VCR" What does all of this mean or do?
bkag9824
AG
The CEO/sales team is basically stripping the company's strongest competitive advantage for long-term market saturation & opportunities in favor of quick sell data storage services. The preview for episode 3 showed server racks, and my non-tech brain says they're pushing cloud data storage with quick retrieval speeds. It's a "proven" market that the company could sell into quickly without really having to build out a lot of their more advanced algorithms, etc.
Hickory High
AG
So basically Richard is screwed now, right? He can't leave because Pied Piper owns his algorithm, and all the ex-Nucleus people are going to take the middle-out algorithm to other companies.
PooDoo
AG
They aren't pushing cloud storage... They are pushing on site data storage.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
So basically Richard is screwed now, right? He can't leave because Pied Piper owns his algorithm, and all the ex-Nucleus people are going to take the middle-out algorithm to other companies.

Yes, Richard is as screwed as the horse.
Muy
AG
quote:

Can someone explain what happened this episode? They went from a customer focused platform, to company facing platform, to getting rid of a software that learns as it works, to a "VCR" What does all of this mean or do?

To keep it at a high level, think of LinkedIn, which started as a consumer-first solution (the word they use is "Freemium"), but once they got enough consumers (professionals connecting in social media) they went to an "Enterprise" offering that offered more tools for businesses, such as for sales and recruiting.

In the example of Pide Piper I'm not sure how a Freemium version would actually be used by individuals, but the new CEO is basically saying "screw that strategy, it'll take 4 years to build that up before you start driving revenue and we need to get revenue now".

He's essentially taking the strategy and flipping it on its head which is a huge risk given that businesses may not be willing to pay big bucks for something that's not adopted by millions of people.

Cloud business can be taken to market very differently than traditional off-the-shelf software.

I need to rewatch the episode, but based on all the items the sales team wanted stripped out (and I believe a sarcastic comment that Richard made, that the sales team seemed to think was a seriously good idea), they ended up with a piece of hardware that looks like a VCR. It was genius.

hth
Max Power
AG
Jin Yang was back with a vengeance in this episode, I lost it watching Erlich watching him cleaning up, just pouring that coconut water onto the floor before throwing them into the trash.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Jin Yang was back with a vengeance in this episode, I lost it watching Erlich watching him cleaning up, just pouring that coconut water onto the floor before throwing them into the trash.
in the trash and NOT in the recyclables bin either...remember that pisses Erlich off too...

I loved the whole Japanese parting gift, Chinese non racist confrontation....very awkward...and then Jin Yang destroys it in the in-sinkerator. lol. killed me.
Muy
AG
Jin Yang hates the Japanese people.
MW03
AG
Erlich's casual, unintentional racism is continuously hilarious.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Jin Yang hates the Japanese people.

Pretty much all other Asians do.
inch05
AG
Lol
Centerpole90
AG
Erlich has lost control of Jin Yang.
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:

To keep it at a high level, think of LinkedIn, which started as a consumer-first solution (the word they use is "Freemium"), but once they got enough consumers (professionals connecting in social media) they went to an "Enterprise" offering that offered more tools for businesses, such as for sales and recruiting.

In the example of Pide Piper I'm not sure how a Freemium version would actually be used by individuals, but the new CEO is basically saying "screw that strategy, it'll take 4 years to build that up before you start driving revenue and we need to get revenue now".

He's essentially taking the strategy and flipping it on its head which is a huge risk given that businesses may not be willing to pay big bucks for something that's not adopted by millions of people.

Cloud business can be taken to market very differently than traditional off-the-shelf software.

I need to rewatch the episode, but based on all the items the sales team wanted stripped out (and I believe a sarcastic comment that Richard made, that the sales team seemed to think was a seriously good idea), they ended up with a piece of hardware that looks like a VCR. It was genius.

hth

That does help and makes sense. Couple of questions, what exactly does piped piper do/offer? It's a compression software that makes streaming downloading faster and take up less space. Who do they sell that to? It would make sense to sell that to enterprises.
Second, who funds "freemiun" or how does a LinkedIn make money first few years? VC money?

Not trying to deal rail thread. Just want to understand this world better to ultimately enjoy the show and understand what my neighbors are talking about her in Austin.
inch05
AG
I'm guessing freemium stuff is paid via advertising. Like YouTube ads before vids.
OldArmy07
AG
dropbox and linked in didn't make money the first few years. They were building a large user base operating under VC seed money/investment rounds until they reached critical mass. Then they released a paid component.

Facebook and Twitter did the same thing.

--

My money is that Richard will be in charge of the nucleus team by the end of the season somehow.
Muy
AG
heavily funded by VC's betting on a large payoff. in the case of Facebook, build up a consumer freemium, subscriber base of 500 million (at the time), control all the data, and charge out the ASS for targeted advertising.

Check out Slack, it was a Fremium technology that essentially feels nothing more than a messaging system (which is sort of what it is), but engineers loved the hell out of it as it is secure and allows for them to share docs, code, etc. with a private group. Word spread fast within companies and different business units started using them.

Their valuation right now is (I believe) $2.5 Billion, and they charge depending on today how many daily active users a company has. They haven't even released what they deem an Enterprise solution but I assume it's all you can eat for a large # of users, and if that goes well, they'll get gobbled up well beyond $2.5 Billion in the next year or 2.
CoolaidWade
AG
quote:
dropbox and linked in didn't make money the first few years. They were building a large user base operating under VC seed money/investment rounds until they reached critical mass. Then they released a paid component.

Facebook and Twitter did the same thing.

--

My money is that Richard will be in charge of the nucleus team by the end of the season somehow.
Whoa. Solid prediction.

Richard is straight effed right now. The horses going at it says it all for him.
jh0400
AG
quote:
That does help and makes sense. Couple of questions, what exactly does piped piper do/offer? It's a compression software that makes streaming downloading faster and take up less space. Who do they sell that to? It would make sense to sell that to enterprises.

It actually makes a lot of sense in the B2C content delivery space as well. In theory the technology would lessen then bandwith required to transmit high definition video content making streaming more efficient. The enhancements they were talking about would aid in content targeting.

The solution proposed by the sales team was to use the compression technology for on-premise data storage and could not have been further from the vision for the B2C product.
Hickory High
AG
I hope Richard does join Nucleus. I really like those two "jock" programmets.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
They aren't pushing cloud storage... They are pushing on site data storage.
It's like trying to find a way copy your DVD to Laserdiscs...

Duncan Idaho
quote:

The term is "brogrammer" no I am not making that up.
PatAg
AG
quote:
I was under the impression teh Nucleus team won't exist in 12 days, and all of the group is gonna take the knowledge to different companies and get paid. Thus they were all taking pictures.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
I was under the impression teh Nucleus team won't exist in 12 days, and all of the group is gonna take the knowledge to different companies and get paid. Thus they were all taking pictures.

I laughed so hard when they were taking pics and the one bro said "**** off"
Sex Panther
AG
Also, I was shocked and dying laughing at the horse scene
Rudyjax
AG
That was one of the funniest moments in any show any time.
Counterpoint
AG
Wasn't there a random animal scene last season as well?
PatAg
AG
quote:
Also, I was shocked and dying laughing at the horse scene
You think Tom Green was a credited writer for that episode?
Professor Frick
AG
So, I missed it the first time through, but when the one brogrammer finishes his work so fast and goes over to the Nordic Trac, the other guy 'cracks middle-out' by looking at the code and then back at the Nordic Trac guy swinging his arms, and then starts to mimic the motion, which is the tip-to-tip jack off motion that led to Richard inventing middle out in the first place.

Maybe that was obvious, but I didn't realize the first time. Pretty great.

Edit: realize that's what Champ Bailey was referring to on the previous page. Still, that's hilarious.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
So, I missed it the first time through, but when the one brogrammer finishes his work so fast and goes over to the Nordic Trac, the other guy 'cracks middle-out' by looking at the code and then back at the Nordic Trac guy swinging his arms, and then starts to mimic the motion, which is the tip-to-tip jack off motion that led to Richard inventing middle out in the first place.

Maybe that was obvious, but I didn't realize the first time. Pretty great.

Edit: realize that's what Champ Bailey was referring to on the previous page. Still, that's hilarious.
ummmm.....yeah it was obvious. but funny yes.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
How was that not obvious?
Professor Frick
AG
Sorry, I was watching it on a cracked phone on a train. I just missed it.
boy09
AG
I just thought having a Nordic Trac in the office was funny. It's probably been 15 years Dianne I even thought about those things.
Professor Frick
AG
I hear ya. It's been at least 20 years Dianne I thought about one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.