Peeps vs the juice

71,791 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jimmy McNulty
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole episode is about the chase?
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Kardashian children references

Yep. The first one didn't bother but these tonight were horrible.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
quote:
This whole episode is about the chase?

One of the most watched events of all time.... One of the main reasons reality TV garbage is force fed today.... Surprised they didn't push it to 2 episodes
mazzag
AG
I realize that. I remember watching it.
mazzag
AG
Next weeks title is "the dream team". It should be good.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Rockets fans didn't have a choice..... What a country
20ag07
quote:
Kardashian children references
I don't get the problem. Like it or not, the fact that their dad was involved in this is relevant in looking at the story through a 2015 lens. They are barely given any screen time, and it's not like they benefit in any way from extra exposure- they've already maxed that out.

If you're telling a 20 yr old story based on what we know now, it makes sense to include their ties. And it's been like 60 seconds of screen time in 2 hrs, so not disproportional.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
The children played no role in the events.... Oj w a gun in Kim's room actually happened & was fairly eventful/factual, so I get that....

We didn't see a cut away to shapiro's kids chanting Shapiro, did we?

It's a shameless attempt @ name dropping that isn't necessary bc the show is already strong
20ag07
It's not a documentary. The Shapiro kids aren't relevant through the 2015 lens bc they aren't relevant. The Kardashian kids aren't involved in the events, but their relevance today is tied to the story being told, so showing that is not unreasonable. It's not shameless, it's not like anyone is watching this show to see those girls. But saying "oh hey, by the way, this guy that's featured prevalently is the dad of these girls you know" is not unreasonable for the 2 mins of screen time that's been given.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
U sound like a Kardashian fan....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I can't stand the kardashians and get sick watching anything about them in current day. I'll switch the channel if anything about them comes on.

But I haven't minded the couple of references in this show. I find it even a little interesting to see them as normal kids. Before the infamy. I also wonder how much the events of this and the coverage of this event impacted how they turned out.

Now if it was anything more than the few seconds of cameos basically then it would be too much and pandering. I don't think anyone is watching this for glimpses of the young kardashians.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Who cares about the kids, Daddy Kardashian was a giant pooozy. Dayum, grow a pair.

No wonder they cast Schwimmer, Ross has grown old and developed a skunk stripe.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

It's funny you say that because I thought the same thing about Ross. I know jack chit about Rob Kardashian so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

We were curious if he really did break the news that he did to the Simpson family? That seemed a bit hard to believe.

And on the subject of casting and acting, Travolta as Shapiro has been awesome! The Jazz music playing the Benz and him being so nonchalant after the press conference was nails.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

It's funny you say that because I thought the same thing about Ross. I know jack chit about Rob Kardashian so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

We were curious if he really did break the news that he did to the Simpson family? That seemed a bit hard to believe.

And on the subject of casting and acting, Travolta as Shapiro has been awesome! The Jazz music playing the Benz and him being so nonchalant after the press conference was nails.
pretty accurate look...

In this interview Schwimmer says Kardashian really believed OJ had killed himself and he wanted the family to not hear it first on TV....he also says they filmed the scenes before OJ escaped in the real former Kardashian house in Encino.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/david-schwimmer-robert-kardashian-people-v-oj-simpson.html

TexasAggie008
AG
In hindsight, the obsessed with being famous seed was likely planted by hearing their name on TV repeatedly in this era....is it that much of a stretch?
95_Aggie
AG
You know you have watched too many episodes of Friends when you read that interview in Schwimmer's voice.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
You know you have watched too many episodes of Friends when you read that interview in Schwimmer's voice.
Shapiro: "You were supposed to watch OJ and you let him just walk out of the house?"

Schwim-dshian: "We were on a BREAK!"
Hogties
AG
Really liking this miniseries. I think the casting and acting are spot on, yes including Travolta. I'm old enough to remember all of this stuff and I'm really impressed with how well they are bringing the feeling of the time into the show.

Oh and Chris Darden looks to be the best casted one on the show. Spot on
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Really liking this miniseries. I think the casting and acting are spot on, yes including Travolta. I'm old enough to remember all of this stuff and I'm really impressed with how well they are bringing the feeling of the time into the show.

Oh and Chris Darden looks to be the best casted one on the show. Spot on

Kato is nails. but such a minor part, can't wait for his testimony though.
mazzag
AG
Not a minor part. His testimony was huge, IIRC. He made the prosecution look so dumb for using him as a witness.
Joan Wilder
AG
Im enjoying it, but agree all K girls references are shoehorned in. But it's weird to realize there's a generation who know Robert as their dad, not the other way around.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the decision to televise the trial undoes the prosecutors. Marcia Clark convicted the guy who killed Rebecca Shaffer and other murderers...yet somehow second guessed herself out of including key evidence against OJ: the bronco chase and 911 calls, and the eyewitness who saw OJ leaving the crime scene (she felt the witness sellin her story discredited herself , and rather than disclose it up front and move on, she didn't call her). She genuinely pinned everything on the blood evidence even after seeing the defense systematically eliminate every juror with > high school biology during voir dire. They completely choked.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Not a minor part. His testimony was huge, IIRC. He made the prosecution look so dumb for using him as a witness.

Been very minor thus far was my point. Although as I said I was looking forwArd to his testimony as it was so key. I doubt it's more than part of one episode though there Is so much to show in depth. Like furman and Ito and the DNa stuff and jury selection and the glove stuff and prosecution mistakes and the forensic mishandling.
mazzag
AG
I still don't think it's been minor though. They've established he's destroyed a lot of brain cells. And the night if the murders, led police to evidence. And he's been in the main house with the family. I haven't read the book, what was his connection to the family/oj?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
And he's been in the main house with the family. I haven't read the book, what was his connection to the family/oj?
I thought early on they said he was one of Nicole's buddies and hung around and somehow that worked the gig in to staying in the little guest house. Kato was lucky, he probably would have been homeless if he didn't make that star connection.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I still don't think it's been minor though. They've established he's destroyed a lot of brain cells. And the night if the murders, led police to evidence. And he's been in the main house with the family. I haven't read the book, what was his connection to the family/oj?

just a glorified errand boy for OJ and sometime babysitter. He was a freeloader and barely a B movie actor at the time. He actually met Nicole first in Aspen in 1992 and asked her if he could live in her empty guest house on the rental property she was currently in for $500 per month. He also got discounts on that rent for babysitting and doing errands. Then she moved into a condo and wanted him to move in there too, but OJ rejected the idea and offered his pool/guest house free of charge.

and the show has over stated his presence. Kato himself said he was not in the main house when Robert K. told the family OJ killed himself. He also said "There's too much Kato Kaelin in this series even for Kato Kaelin's taste!"

Ag_07
AG
From what I've gathered just from reading bits and pieces is that there wasn't much of a relationship. It was more tenant than it was friends. He was simply just living there.

As for the show I still wish time references were presented. It's hard to tell how long things lasted in real time when observed through show time. Seems like some Law and Order like date/time flashes at key moments would solve the problem.

For example, how long was OJ missing before the chase started? How long was the 'standoff' in the driveway?

I kind of remember the chase and the media frenzy, but I don't remember details or even the trial. If they're going to drop Kardashian kid references for the newer audience who can't make the connection, it seems as if they'd add some time references for that same audience.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The LA Times has a minute-by-minute recount of the day here:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oj-simpson-white-bronco-chase-20140617-story.html

He was supposed to surrender at 11 a.m. on June 17. The police announced he was a fugitive at 1:50 p.m., then issued an arrest warrant for AC at 4:45 p.m. Kardashian read the note at 5 p.m., OJ made the 9-1-1 call at 5:51 p.m. and the pursuit began 5 minutes later. He got to his house just before 8 p.m.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

if you want to track the locations this has a good map/explanation.

his location between leaving RKs house and where police spotted him on the 5 near the cemetery are not known.

but from there the rest of the chase is tracked.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/06/mapping_the_infamous_oj_simpson_chase_20_years_later_1.php
jckrjr7
AG
I came running to Texags to see the Kardashian kids reaction
J.P. 03
AG
The only way they could have made it any worse was to toss Bruce Jenner's name into this mess too.....

....Mission accomplished.
Ag_07
AG
Came straight here during the first commercial. That was so obviously forced it was brutal. From now on no one can argue that their lack screen time has no bearing on the show.

Those damn kids ruin this otherwise fantastic show.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Johnny Cochran prank call was some funny ****
jock1020
AG
Episode ends with a "motherf'er." Don't know that I've ever heard that on FX.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Uncle Juice
TexasAggie008
AG
Lol at people who are so drawn offsides by the kardashians that it ruins the show for them

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.