Peeps vs the juice

71,431 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jimmy McNulty
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interested in how the jury selection played out on tonight's episode - and how prosecution went along with it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
As I recall they did not have much choice. The downtown venue resulted in so many black juror candidates in the pool that they could only eliminate so many.

Their initial cockiness, furman being involved and deciding to hold it downtown for logistics reasons is what killed them. Well that and the defense attacking every little thing just to confuse things.
ce1994
AG
How Marcia Clark had any credibility after that trial is beyond me. That was a slam duck as you can get without video evidence of Simpson actually doing it.
Ag Since 83
AG
I just read the jury selection part of Toobin's book. While the jury pool started out reasonably balanced, as people were excused for various reasons (and Ito allowed people to get out of it for just about any reason), the pool of prospects tilted more and more in the defense's favor. Also, Clark trusted her own instincts, that black women on the jury would relate to and trust her, more than the analysis provided by the jury consultant she barely used.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
How Marcia Clark had any credibility after that trial is beyond me. That was a slam duck as you can get without video evidence of Simpson actually doing it.

Well she went on leave after the acquittal and resigned 2 years later. She became an author of crime books. So I guess she knew it too.
double aught
AG
quote:
. Also, Clark trusted her own instincts, that black women on the jury would relate to and trust her, more than the analysis provided by the jury consultant she barely used.
Easy to say this now, but she should've known better. Speaking in generalities, the black woman has never been fond of the "white prize" who steals a good black man from the community.
JuliusCaesarAggie
quote:
She went to Indiana to continue her work as a lawyer
-----------------------------------------------------------
dave94
Joan Wilder
AG
Holy crap that scene with Fred Goldman....

The book does do a good job showing how the jury selection started out balanced, but tilted towards the jury the defense wanted. They used their jury consultants' data brilliantly.

Travolta is alternating between a fantastic performance and Face/Off. It's so odd.

Courtney Vance should get an Emmy for this. Wow. What a performance.
mazzag
AG
I say this with much sympathy, but they portrayed his sister perfectly.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
There's just so much truth in Fred Goldman.... So much pain.... I can't imagine.... He's always been about justice for his son....

oj is a narcissistic murderous monster... I hope he burns in hell
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Also found it interesting they included the whole "Brentwood hello" regarding Nicole..... The whole thing w the friend was really weird

I thought producers mentioned the victims were off limits for this series
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Last thought for now.... Was Shapiro that much of a pathetic cop-out ***** in reality???

Dude has to be the biggest ***** of a lawyer imaginable.... Only thing he seems to care about is his reputation....

What a pathetic attorney
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
dave94
AG
I actually thought the portrayal of Fred Goldman came off as campy and over the top.

Connie Britton looked SMOKING.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I actually thought the portrayal of Fred Goldman came off as campy and over the top.

Connie Britton looked SMOKING.

Yep she is way hotter than Faye ever was. She creeped me out.
mazzag
AG
quote:

This is how he was. You couldn't blame him though. Also, I don't think we'll see much more of him on the show, so they had a small window to portray him, the daughter and how much Ron was forgotten about in the beginning of the trial.
mazzag
AG
And I just started reading the book. Why did ito's wife lie?
Yoda
AG
I can't say for certain, but I suspect she was worried she would ruin his chances of judging this high profile case.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Last thought for now.... Was Shapiro that much of a pathetic cop-out ***** in reality???

Dude has to be the biggest ***** of a lawyer imaginable.... Only thing he seems to care about is his reputation....

What a pathetic attorney

From what I've picked up through watching this and reading a handful of articles and watching a couple documentaries I gathered that Shapiro was simply out of his league.

He was a civil lawyer who really had no business in defending OJ, much less in a courtroom on a criminal case. So in this instance yes he was that bad and he was that big of a vagine.

And I think Travolta is knocking this role out of the park.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
quote:

This is how he was. You couldn't blame him though. Also, I don't think we'll see much more of him on the show, so they had a small window to portray him, the daughter and how much Ron was forgotten about in the beginning of the trial.
At first I thought it was campy & over the top too but then I remembered that's how Fred Goldman really was. He was always very melodramatic like that. But I guess he had every reason to be.
israeliag
AG
quote:
Yup
Joan Wilder
AG
Fred Goldman was just an open wound throughout the trial. I can't imagine knowing your son was butchered like that and then watching the trial devolve into that circus.

Shapiro was balancing his love of publicity with his standing in the west LA upper class- all of whom thought OJ was guilty. He thought if he could plead out then it would be a courtroom win and a win for his standing in the community. He was a scumbag.

Connie Britton is amazing but way more beautiful and put together than Resnick. I loved her scenes.
Joan Wilder
AG
The "Brentwood hello" is relevant (somewhat) in that OJ apparently caught Nicole giving a guy a BJ while the kids were upstairs. It's what he was screaming about in the background on one of the 911 tapes years after it happened. To me that's actually important because if he came over to "scare" Nicole in some way that night and she answers the door in a little black dress, wine and candles around with a bath drawn, with the kids upstairs, that probably set him off. Then poor Ron walks up and sees OJ beating her and stabbing her, and gets murdered.

If you read the autopsy and forensics too, it's pretty clear he went BACK to Nicole after killing Ron, put his foot on her back (bloody shoe prints on her back), pulled her hair back (hairs on the glove) and slit her throat, almost decapitating her.

A brutal brutal crime.
Kellso
Last nights episode was awesome!

I completely remember Shapiro getting pushed out of the way in favor of Johnnie Cochran. F Lee Bailey and Shapiro were sworn enemies after the trial.

People in Shapiro's camp believe that F Lee Bailey was the one anonymously smearing him to the tabloids and the media.
Kellso
quote:
Wonder if they really called him "Uncle Juice"?
I just saw an interview with Khloe Kardashian where she admits that her name for OJ was Uncle Juice.
TCTTS
AG
israeliag
AG
double aught
AG
I'm really enjoying this show. I'm sure there's plenty of dramatic license and some fabricated conversations, but they are really nailing a lot of things.

Courtney B Vance is the man.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I'm really enjoying this show. I'm sure there's plenty of dramatic license and some fabricated conversations, but they are really nailing a lot of things.

wow....i never realized he played the young Seaman Jones the sonar operator in Hunt For Red October.

anyway yeah he is great as Cochran.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
Yup

speaking of emmy's i think this show is gonna have a huge number of nominations at least.

right now i would say:

actor/actress
John Travolta
Sarah Paulson

supporting actor/actress
Courtney B. Vance
Cuba Gooding Jr. - odd that he is a smaller role now but he is a minor player in his own trial basically

several others could be possible as this plays out......and then for mini-series, writing, directing, etc...

will be strange having winners in LA for LA's most infamous celebrity trial.

double aught
AG
quote:
quote:

wow....i never realized he played the young Seaman Jones the sonar operator in Hunt For Red October.

anyway yeah he is great as Cochran.

20ag07
Is there going to be a bunch of crying about how much Johnnie Cochran's daughters got featured tonight? They have nothing to do with the story, etc etc etc.
Joan Wilder
AG
Courtney Vance should win all the Emmys for this. Wow.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
What on earth was the point of the field trip?

Why would prosecution think this is a good idea?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.