Peeps vs the juice

71,506 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jimmy McNulty
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
"I hate them" means you are close to loving them.

that poster was trying to say that hating them means you have feelings for/about them whereas not caring means you have no feelings about them.

it's like the saying that the opposite of love is NOT hate...it is indifference.

so if love and indifference are on polar opposites of a spectrum, then hate is somewhere in between.

I am much more in the indifference camp, I never watch or consume any news about the kardashians, i change the channel of anything they come on cuz i really don't care. as for this show, it is a bit annoying when they pop up, but it doesn't ruin the show for me cuz i don't care.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I am much more in the indifference camp, I never watch or consume any news about the kardashians, i change the channel of anything they come on cuz i really don't care. as for this show, it is a bit annoying when they pop up, but it doesn't ruin the show for me cuz i don't care.

that's where I am, too. For the sake of the quality of the show I wish they wouldn't be so over the top, but I still like the show.
dave94
AG
I haven't seen any hint of FX advertising that the Kardashians are a part of this show. Call me naive, but I don't think the producers are trying to use these bits and pieces to gain viewership. I think they're just having fun with it to some degree.

I really can't understand why this is so upsetting to y'all, I find it interesting and even somewhat insightful.
Ag Since 83
AG
For the most part I have been fine with the amount of Kardashian kids in the show, but do feel that last night they overdid the "see, this is how reality TV got started!" angle with the discussion of fame
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I haven't seen any hint of FX advertising that the Kardashians are a part of this show. Call me naive, but I don't think the producers are trying to use these bits and pieces to gain viewership. I think they're just having fun with it to some degree.

I really can't understand why this is so upsetting to y'all, I find it interesting and even somewhat insightful.
This episode started with a five minute long "Kardashian: the Prequel" sequence that felt completely out of place. Like it was filmed after production wrapped and the producers realized they needed more of the hoar kids.

I much more enjoyed their second appearance in the episode with Kris confronting Robert about his blind loyalty to OJ. The kids were heard but not seen because it wasn't necessary to the plot.
Big Al 1992
AG
Enjoying so far -
Even though a lot of the behind the scenes stuff is them just guessing what happened. The Toobin stuff really happened since he wrote the book.
I do wish the news footage and magazine covers were actual, not Cuba superimposed on them. The series Narcos did that really well, interspersed actual footage with the acted out parts.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Blue star for another successful TexAgs thread derail.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

I think it resolved itself of its own volition.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
quote:

You actually make a solid point.... I'm prolly as guilty as anyone regarding kard tard derailment....

Re watching episode 2.... Confused on timeline.... Kardashian & Shapiro had press conference around 5.... Then kardashian drives to Simpson house to notify family of suicide note.... As he's explaining note, chase comes on tv....

How did Simpson family not watch Bob & Bob suicide note press conference live?
mazzag
AG
This was 20+ years before Twitter. The PC was likely only on local media, not carried live by the big 3. I'm thinking they thought he was still at Robert's house. Then all hell broke loose with the national media and bronco chase.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The good old days

I'm liking the series so far. Nothing groundbreaking, by entertaining enough to watch.
Big Al 1992
AG
The press conference with LAPD saying OJ was a fugitive was carried live on the big 3 and CNN. So was Shapiro's asking OJ to surrender and later Kardashian reading the suicide note. I remember out loud gasps when they announced OJ was on the run and disbelief when his own attorneys were begging him to turn himself in. I believe this was all before Fox News, but. CNN was all OJ all the time.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Folks, I'm really just joking on my post about derailing with all of the Kardashian talk.

Dad obviously played a significant role in the story. The kids obviously did not. I'm solidly in the camp that the director and producers are using that storyline to further the message of how the entire saga gave rise to our world of reality nonsense, and nobody has benefitted more from that than Robert's horrific offspring. From (seemingly) good came so, so much bad...
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
Lol at people who are so drawn offsides by the kardashians that it ruins the show for them
This.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I just don't get that. While extremely annoying, they are a small piece of the on-air time.
Ag_07
AG
While only a small piece it severely disrupts the flow of the show.

Kinda of like if you're watching a show that's pretty good and you're into and then all of a sudden your power flickers and you lose 30 secs of screen time right in the middle of the show. It's only 30 secs but it still pisses you off and throws you for a loop.

And while it may not ruin the entire show for me, when it happens I'm soured and at that instance I want to turn it off.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I just don't get that. While extremely annoying, they are a small piece of the on-air time.
It was the opening of the episode and lasted five minutes. If it had ANY relevance to the story, that's one thing. However, it didn't and looked like it was shoehorned in at the last minute. It was a terribly bad start to an otherwise enthralling episode. When a show stumbles out of the gate as badly as that, it can detract from the overall show.

Poor Schwimmer. He's one of, if not the most compelling character IMO and he's forced to give that terrible speech about fame.
Old Jock 1997
AG
THAT MAY BE THE POINT!!! There is no evidence whatsoever that I am aware of that that conversation happened between Robert and his kids. I can't imagine a scenario where it wasn't done tongue-in-cheek. The entire saga was a black-eye for American jurisprudence, so a little levity is warranted I think.

The show is trying to give relevance to a new audience as well as the original, and this is a way to do it.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I do agree with your point on Schwimmer. He's been good so far.
dave94
AG
I actually enjoyed the opening scene. It was interesting seeing the reaction of the random people when they recognized him from the press conference. Then his (surely totally fabricated) speech about fame really set up the vibe for the entire episode, with witnesses selling their stories to the tabloids etc.

Nothing about this show has made me want to turn it off for a second.
DG-Ag
AG
Wonder if they really called him "Uncle Juice"?
Squirrel Master
AG
Schwimmer and Travolta have both been phenomenal in this.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Agreed. The character doing Johnnie Cochran has also been good in my opinion.
DG-Ag
AG
Personal opinion, but I really don't like Nathan Lane cast as F. Lee Bailey.
Squirrel Master
AG
Almost included Courtney Vance in my post, but I think his best stuff is still to come. Still very strong performance so far.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
I always thought that Shapiro & Cochran fought over whether or not to play race card....

Last episode showed Shapiro initiating that fight....

So what did Shapiro & Cochran fight about?
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
I always thought that Shapiro & Cochran fought over whether or not to play race card....

Last episode showed Shapiro initiating that fight....

So what did Shapiro & Cochran fight about?
I thought they fought about who was the lead attorney, sharing the limelight, etc.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Ahh... Gotcha

I remember that reference now when Shapiro brought him on
CoppellAg93
AG
Can't believe no one has mentioned the funniest thing on the show so far ....

"I'm not black - I'm OJ !!"

And I also was taken aback by the "Motherfu**er !!" at the end - not sure I can remember hearing that on a "cable" network show before, even with all the regular cussing that goes on.

Definitely enjoying the show - a lot of refreshing my memory on things that happened, while seemingly hearing a lot of details for the first time. It's also interesting to see how Darden, F Lee, Cochran etc. were brought into the fold.
mazzag
AG
This is a good article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/how-the-oj-simpson-murder-trial-20-years-ago-changed-the-media-landscape/2014/06/09/a6e21df8-eccf-11e3-93d2-edd4be1f5d9e_story.html

Ag Since 83
AG
quote:
Can't believe no one has mentioned the funniest thing on the show so far ....

"I'm not black - I'm OJ !!"
I just started reading Toobin's book as a result of watching the show, and apparently that's really a quote from an interview he gave in the late 60s, in which he was asked about other black athletes like Jim Brown getting involved in the civil rights movement.
Joan Wilder
AG
I just read Toobin's book as well...Darden was in completely over his head and utterly intimidated and undone by Cochran. I knew that having OJ try on the glove was his debacle (and Clark had specifically vetoed it), but i never knew that Bailey all but double-dog dared him into it. Unbelievable.

Al Michaels was on Bill Simmons again talking about the trial and his statement that he had doubts until the blood evidence was presented is backed up in Toobin's book. Basically all of OJ's golf, corporate, and white friends cut him off and couldn't ignore his guilt after that was presented.
agracer
AG
There really is not that much evidence. I'm really curious to see how the heck the trial went on for a whole year.
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
There really is not that much evidence. I'm really curious to see how the heck the trial went on for a whole year.
Johnny C., Shapiro, et al just wanted more camera time.
Joan Wilder
AG
Because Ito lost complete control. They'd argue motions for days. The prosecution did a terrible job preparing witnesses, and didn't present evidence in a clear way. They thought the domestic violence history and the blood evidence would be all they needed, and they spent days on the DNA evidence - most of which went over the jury's head.

The jury was primarily middle aged black women, who both side's consultants knew were predisposed to be sympathetic to OJ, contemptuous of Nicole, and antagonistic towards Marcia Clark. The prosecution chose to disbelieve that, and the defense exploited it. The defense systematically eliminated jurors who had over high school biology - they didn't understand the DNA evidence and decided to ignore it.

Jury selection alone took months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.