Peeps vs the juice

71,807 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jimmy McNulty
jock1020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get what you are saying, I just feel like this is a dumb argument to be having. I'm not expecting them to have to use the verbatim words spoken in every situation as this series unfolds.
mazzag
AG
Of course the officer didn't embellish his story to her. Did you miss the intro? Or the cop's flashlight on the family photos in Nicole's house? Or the detectives jumping a gate because they just had to tell oj about his ex wife being found dead? I don't think what he was or wasn't told on the phone the point. The point was, he never asked how she died.
Ag_07
AG
That's a good read and thanks for posting. Pretty interesting stuff there

One thing I've had to keep in mind when watching and reading some of commentary is that this not going to be completely accurate. It's Hollywood and it's not a documentary.

However, I also think the show is not meant to be geared toward the facts, but more the social, racial, and trial strategy aspects behind the case. So while I think it's important to get the facts correct, a few misses here and there isn't going to blow the show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I get what you are saying, I just feel like this is a dumb argument to be having. I'm not expecting them to have to use the verbatim words spoken in every situation as this series unfolds.
I don't expect everything to be verbatim but that was a huge **** up. I followed this case fairly closely when it happened so when there is a major screw-up it bothers me.
dave94
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't expect everything to be verbatim but that was a huge **** up. I followed this case fairly closely when it happened so when there is a major screw-up it bothers me.
I think most didn't know that detail about what he supposedly said on the phone.

I followed the trial fairly closely and that's the first I heard of it.

Bottom line, the dialogue last night got the point across on the phone and when he was back home, not asking the right questions if he hadn't done it.
agracer
AG
quote:
Of course the officer didn't embellish his story to her. Did you miss the intro? Or the cop's flashlight on the family photos in Nicole's house? Or the detectives jumping a gate because they just had to tell oj about his ex wife being found dead? I don't think what he was or wasn't told on the phone the point. The point was, he never asked how she died.
They didn't jump the fence to tell him NIcole was dead. His Bronco was parked hap-hazardously on the street, it had blood on the exterior and they could see on the interior. There was blood on the ground (IIRC)..they though he might be injured or being held hostage so they want over the wall out of concern for his welfare.

The LA police bent over backwards for OJ (per the M.Clark interview posted above) before his wife died. They were worried he might be being held hostage or injured, not trying to find evidence to convict him.
Ag_07
AG
They made it clear in the episode last night that they didn't think it was a crime scene until they found the matching glove.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Thought Schwimmer was excellent, considering I've never seen him in anything besides Friends

You haven't seen Band of Brothers?
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
This deal looks great.... Very well put together....

What was the song @ the end of the episode

"I Shall Be Released"--Nina Simone
Old Jock 1997
AG
Very good first episode.

I thought the acting was pretty good. Looking forward to the next episode.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I was pleasantly surprised, expecting a disaster but it was intriguing at least and some pretty good performances.

Paulson was really convincing as Marcia Clark.
Cuba Gooding Jr. was pretty good too.
Schwimmer was a little hard to buy, but not distracting, I just see him and not Rob. K. when I look at him.
Travolta's look was distracting, but thats the way Shapiro was I always thought he was odd looking too and weird features.

Could have done without the Kardashian crap - just had to shoehorn references in there about the kids, They were no part of the story at the time and now just using their names to create more spectacle.

Otherwise though it moved pretty well, and was fairly accurate although even changing a few words here and there can be misleading. Hopefully they stay true to reality. It was dramatic enough.

OH and the one dude who absolutely nailed his character....Billy Magnussen as Kato Kaelin.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I wonder if the mention of the Kardashian ****s was to tie in the thought that the OJ trial was the birth of reality TV, and the Kardashian/Jenner crap is what it has evolved/devolved into.

If you'll remember, the OJ situation brought to full-circle the emerging (and often forced) 24-hour news cycle, the growth of television from beyond the major networks to cable TV, our national infatuation with all things celebrity, a sports hero turned murderous villain, tacky, scumbag defense attorneys that seemed to reinforce what a ton of folks already felt they must be like, racial issues that always seemed to be boiling just under the surface, and the fact that if you had the time and inclination, you could watch almost every second of it unfold in front of you, live and in stunning color!
double aught
AG
The trial also introduced certain things into the public arena: familiarity with DNA evidence, terms such as sidebar and cell phone.
dave94
AG
I thought it was more of a wink to the audience, nothing too serious of a statement. Especially since they were getting scolded. It was also just kinda heeby jeeby when Rob mentioned "this is where Kim sleeps" or whatever it was he exactly said when OJ was threatening to shoot himself in her room.
Old Jock 1997
AG
That may very well be. Obviously, the K girls aren't going to play a significant role, but the influence that whole saga had on where we are now is astounding. Perhaps it would have happened anyway, but historically, it's easy to isolate the OJ situation as a seminal event in American pop culture and its continuing evolution.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
Thought Schwimmer was excellent, considering I've never seen him in anything besides Friends

Nope.
Old Jock 1997
AG
You should. It's fantastic.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is an example of a mistake that means nothing IMO.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/03/oj-simpson-tv-show-suicide-kim-kardashian-bedroom/?adid=hero1
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope.
Ag_07
AG
I don't even count that as a mistake.

That's like saying it was mistake OJ was wearing a robe. He was really wearing a leisure suit.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I thought it was more of a wink to the audience, nothing too serious of a statement. Especially since they were getting scolded. It was also just kinda heeby jeeby when Rob mentioned "this is where Kim sleeps" or whatever it was he exactly said when OJ was threatening to shoot himself in her room.
OJ starting the long line of black athletes to be in Kim's bedroom.
dave94
TheSheik
AG
murder and trial timelines

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/11/timeline-of-june-121994-murders-of-nicole-brown-simpson-and-ron-goldman/10328983/

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/oj-simpson-crimes-misdemeanors-timeline.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/index/nns053.htm
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I wonder if the mention of the Kardashian ****s was to tie in the thought that the OJ trial was the birth of reality TV, and the Kardashian/Jenner crap is what it has evolved/devolved into.

If you'll remember, the OJ situation brought to full-circle the emerging (and often forced) 24-hour news cycle, the growth of television from beyond the major networks to cable TV, our national infatuation with all things celebrity, a sports hero turned murderous villain, tacky, scumbag defense attorneys that seemed to reinforce what a ton of folks already felt they must be like, racial issues that always seemed to be boiling just under the surface, and the fact that if you had the time and inclination, you could watch almost every second of it unfold in front of you, live and in stunning color!

I saw interview/article with the creators/director saying exactly that....it was a nod to audiences knowing they would know who they are, but also alluding to the circus and media frenzy that no doubt created the celeb famous for no reason mentality and birth of reality TV.

He said the K kids appear in only 4-5 scenes (out of 400-500)...so its only a small part, but acknowledging it.
Breggy Popup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nope.

What about Madagascar?
Big Al 1992
AG
Jeffrey Toobin's book is what this was based on. I think everyone involved had a book out - Kardashian, Kato, Darden, Marcia Clark, Furhman. Toobin was at the court everyday and and the pressers afterwards, and then was on CNN along with Greta Van Sustren and Roger Cosack. I Remember a lot on the trial and read several of the books.
OJ did have a gun in the Bronco and everyone watching - even us that wanted them to switch back to the Knicks -Rockets game - thought we were gonna see OJ off himself on TV. Especially when they got to his house and stayed in the Bronco for awhile.
Big Al 1992
AG
Amazing how many people in this saga are no longer here - Cochran, Kardashian, AC Cowlings.
george07
AG
Al Cowlings is not dead.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Class of '96 and she was only 13 in '94??

niiiiiice
Btron
AG
Fwiw the hardline interviewed Cuba today, they addressed the Kardashian references, Cuba said the first episode is the only one that will reference the kids.
I was in jr when this was going on and only knew of OJ from naked gun. And was at summer camp during the chase. I just remember being in class when the verdict dropped. I had a black teacher and she insisted that the class watch and be happy after the results.
So in interested in seeing the racial significance. Since I was a tween I didn't really pick up on that.
gomerschlep
AG
Thought the first one was pretty good, though I definitely eye-rolled at the Kardashian girl references.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Really enjoyed it. Travolta looks ridiculous.
J.P. 03
AG
If the Kardashian kids are gonna get any more screen time, I hope it's in the form of a flash-forward to this sequence from when the Casey Anthony verdict was announced in 2011:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Class of '96 and she was only 13 in '94??

niiiiiice
Yep, got married in 2009 when i was 35 and she was 28.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Kardashian children references

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.