*** Aggie Volleyball 2024 Thread ***

74,434 Views | 1360 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by flintdragon
RadCouncil 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A bit before my time but was Bird considered a good hire when we got her?
flintdragon
AG
RadCouncil 21 said:

A bit before my time but was Bird considered a good hire when we got her?
I don't believe she was a big hire. She was an assistant (Kansas?) who was good at recruiting.
taylorswift13_
She had her great run in 2019 mostly due to the play of Hollann Hans and Camille Connor! But every season after that it was just decline after decline and in 2022 we won 5 conference games… many girls were quitting, many were transferring. I just looked at the stat and we averaged nearly 10 service errors a match! We hired her at the end of the 2017 as an assistant coach at Kansas. She had never had any head coaching experience prior to this job. I'm new to this sport but it's night and day to what's going on now!
taylorswift13_
But look what Ifenna did last year and Bird never played her as a freshman, Molly Brown was her starting middle! She got Meuth to transfer after failing to recruit her out of high school, and she kicked into Lednicky who's a literal 4th generation Aggie THANKFULLY
taylorswift13_
But she was a great person! When I worked with the athletic department as a student she was always so nice and respectful to me
frankie00
I may have missed the following on TexAgs so posting 'just in case':

Lednicky Named SEC Offensive Player of the Week

https://12thman.com/news/2024/10/7/volleyball-lednicky-named-sec-offensive-player-of-the-week
Wicked Good Ag
taylorswift13_ said:

She had her great run in 2019 mostly due to the play of Hollann Hans and Camille Connor! But every season after that it was just decline after decline and in 2022 we won 5 conference games… many girls were quitting, many were transferring. I just looked at the stat and we averaged nearly 10 service errors a match! We hired her at the end of the 2017 as an assistant coach at Kansas. She had never had any head coaching experience prior to this job. I'm new to this sport but it's night and day to what's going on now!
I would say that getting Gomez for a year as libero and Hans best year in the programwas the main thing for that season
flintdragon
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

taylorswift13_ said:

I would say that getting Gomez for a year as libero and Hans best year in the programwas the main thing for that season
I forgot about Gomez. I think Underwood has really elevated her game so far this year. But Gomez was a stud libero. Camille was a very good setter with some offense too. Hollann was amazing and a great person too.
B$Weigem
AG
Underwood and Hinson have really helped elevate our back row play this year.
BiochemAg97
AG
B$Weigem said:

Underwood and Hinson have really helped elevate our back row play this year.

*Stinson
Cayaggie01
AG
Let's help our Future Ag Addi Applegate win a poll. I posted in Premium last night and she went from 6th to 2nd.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2024/10/07/indiana-high-school-girls-volleyball-players-of-week-sept-30-oct-5/75547712007/
taylorswift13_
She was an excellent Libero
drumbeat10
What's really crazy to think about is some of the talent we had/almost had that is out there crushing it.

I've heard Jenna Wennas was an A&M commit but decommitted after we hired Bird (not sure if this is a fact or just a rumor)

Claire Jeter came for one year and then transferred to Arizona State where she is 7th nationally in hitting percentage.

London Wijay was committed at one point and would be a freshman this year, but she ended up going to USC a full year early I believe and starting most or all of the year as a freshman.
Ag4eva95
All accurate.

Brynn Corvell is a RSFR as Arizona State too and is starting as a DS for the #15 team in the country
taylorswift13_
I was excited to see Wijay play here, she can really jump! Did not know that about Wennas
sharpdressedman
Done. She now has a nice lead in the voting.
Wicked Good Ag
Wennas blew up when she played for Ping Cao and she was getting quite a few inquiries and we fired the coach she committed to. Legacy parents at TAMU

I think Allison Fields was the only player who stayed for four years under Bird. Not a single scholarship player did.

Jeter was treated poorly and left. I hated that
Bird did everything that was positive in her tenure with Corbelli players or recruits and Gomez. That is it.
Couldn't retain or build culture.

taylorswift13_
GAME DAY GAME DAY

TEXAS A&M (12-2, 2-1) vs olemiss (12-3, 21)
Time: 6:30pm
Tv: sec network+
Match Notes: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/sidearm.nextgen.sites/tamu.sidearmsports.com/documents/2024/10/8/Notes_-_Match_14.pdf?timestamp=20241008050252

It's game day folks! I know many have been yearning for something Aggie sports related since footballs beat down of Mizzou! Our Aggies play tonight at Ole Miss in their Gillom Center which only holds about 1000 people, but it looks really cool! Ole Miss does have 12 wins but has the 98th best strength of schedule according to MasseyRatings, we have the 57th. After their easy non conference schedule whic included losses to Arkansas State and Northern Colorado, they got swept by Arkansas, but then somehow upset Tennessee and took down LSU! So they are on a hot streak but it's time we bring them back down to earth! They are led by their middle 6'3 Peyton Brgoch who is first in blocks and third kills and OH 5'10 Nia Washington leads them in kills! They love to serve aggressively HOWEVER they have lots of service errors as well! If we are solid on serve receive then this match should be won easily! They have a solid block but a weak back row! Let's win game number 2 on this road streak and keep our momentum going!!!
bwhitmarsh
Good luck to Jamie and the girls tonight. Lets keep the momentum!!
flintdragon
AG
is it weird to be a D1 program in such a tiny gym? It's smaller than our high school.

I recently watched a TCU game and didn't realize they have a new gym and looks nice. Not sure when that happened.
Ag4eva95
TCU was playing in their ref gym while the new stuff was being built/renovated. They had to spend a few years in that tiny gym
taylorswift13_
flintdragon said:

is it weird to be a D1 program in such a tiny gym? It's smaller than our high school.

I recently watched a TCU game and didn't realize they have a new gym and looks nice. Not sure when that happened.
weirder when they can't fill it up lol
BiochemAg97
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

flintdragon said:

weirder when they can't fill it up lol

I did feel sad for Auburn when the announcers mentioned they recently set a record for attendance of ~3000.
TulaneAg
Louisville was playing in a tiny 1-2k seat gym on tv right before our game came on Sunday. that sure takes the possibility of 9300+ fans showing up against your archrival off the table.
taylorswift13_
I know it's a lot different playing in a basketball arena, but that's why I'm really proud of how the Aggie community has been showing to support our volleyball team! Is there so much more we can do, absolutely!! But our crowds are great and I can't wait to see them get bigger! Our social media team is doing a great job and Jamie and the girls are doing a great job reaching out to students!!!! Let's become a volleyball school!!!!!!!!!!!
taylorswift13_
Maybe like 700 people there
taylorswift13_
Ole Miss coach challenges first play lol
taylorswift13_
Wait no we did lol
taylorswift13_
And we got the point
taylorswift13_
Ole Miss' coach is pretty
taylorswift13_
4 straight points, with Maddie Waak serving
taylorswift13_
5-0 START
RadCouncil 21
AG
Waak has been suck a weapon for us
frankie00
See the link below. This is where Aggie basketball and volleyball were played in an earlier era. Right across the street from the MSC. The current location replaced this site.

Other schools had huge arenas and it hurt recruiting but we still had some great volleyball teams at times. Hosted concerts, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Rollie_White_Coliseum
taylorswift13_
Aggies start 8-2 followed by timeout Ole Miss! They look like we did first set against tu

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.