Womens Tennis 2022

99,229 Views | 1354 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Gladiator 96
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Do we expect Carson to stick around for her senior year???
She'd be a fool not to. She's been injury-prone and bounced from school to school. Finally she's got smart coaches that are managing her conditioning & training smartly. She's a phenomenal talent but she could stand a year more of stability and she's still got plenty of room to improve physically could stand to take advantage of A&M's elite S&C program to get stronger.

And while personally I think Carson has a lot more talent and a higher ceiling than Peyton Stearns (t.u.), who probably will go pro after this season, I think Stearns is currently more mentally and physically ready to play 10 months per year of pro tennis.
I would love to see a match between Peyton and Carson. I watched Peyton at the Big 12 Championships play against OU's #1 and currently ranked #10 and Peyton destroyed her 0 & 0. I just couldn't believe OU's player was ranked #10. She really didn't impress me. Or Peyton may just be that good. Carson has the power to keep up with Peyton. I think it will be the stamina that may be in question. But we can revisit if we actually do pair up with tu!

Fun times up ahead.
bigfoot10s
AG
We forget, Carson has been on campus for 16 weeks only. She's just scratching the surface of college tennis.
Harry Dunne
bigfoot10s said:

We forget, Carson has been on campus for 16 weeks only. She's just scratching the surface of college tennis.
I agree with your point and I'm not saying this to knock her, but she has been on our campus for 16 weeks. She's 21 years old, is on her third college and has been on a college campus since 2019. She's actually only couple of months younger than Tatiana, believe it or not.

She was a French Open & Australian open junior doubles champion and physically she looks like & hits the ball like a top level pro. Her talent has been there all along. Her issue is staying healthy.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I would add that she's rebuilding mentally, too. Physically, she has the goods. She tends to allow her emotions to take her on tangents. With no ad scoring, you cannot afford to piss away a point. She has the potential to run the table, IMO.
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bigfoot10s said:

I agree with your point and I'm not saying this to knock her, but she has been on our campus for 16 weeks. She's 21 years old, is on her third college and has been on a college campus since 2019. She's actually only couple of months younger than Tatiana, believe it or not.

She was a French Open & Australian open junior doubles champion and physically she looks like & hits the ball like a top level pro. Her talent has been there all along. Her issue is staying healthy.

Yes, I agree that the experience is there for sure. She has had issues with staying healthy, of course. I think once she gets in good with our Training staff and S&C dept, she's gonna make even bigger strides. She's also said that she feels at home here, which should help a ton.

I have no doubt that she will get there. She came off a significant injury, and was thrown into play the top players in the country every match. I think there was a ton of mental and physical stress on her body that she hasn't had to experience probably since juniors. Looking forward to seeing how she continues to improve.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I see North Carolina has recently lost to Duke and Virginia.
Hand Of God
AG
taylorswift13
AG
Woah
mullokmotx
AG
I hope the Athletic Department prioritizes hosting the NCAA tournament. On Senior Day the concession stand wasn't even open.
Bunk Moreland
ITA rankings out this afternoon?
aggiedrjdub
AG
The ITA hates us though lol
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think Thursday - but apparently we will still be #6 in the poll.
Bunk Moreland
https://www.wearecollegetennis.com/2022/04/27/north-carolina-stays-no-1-in-division-i-womens-ita-collegiate-tennis-national-team-rankings-sponsored-by-tennis-point/

Out now and still 6. lameo
Anchorhold
***** ITA. But so long as we're in the top eight and keep winning it shouldn't make a difference, right?
Chapa96
AG
Anchorhold said:

***** ITA. But so long as we're in the top eight and keep winning it shouldn't make a difference, right?

True! Gotta beat e everyone to win it all!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I listened to/watched the CrackedRacket youtube podcast and one of the analysts is high on A&M and the other one is not a fan at all. Says we've played nobody and need to stop scheduling teams like PVAM, etc. I guess they would prefer us to play fewer matches with higher quality opponents in order turn their heads a bit more. It looks as if we've played anywhere from 2 to 7 more matches than most of the others in the top 10/15. As long as the opponent is highly ranked, the loss doesn't seem to affect you. North Carolina has lost 2 matches in the last few weeks; recently lost in the semis of their conference tournament, and yet they are still ranked #1 by the ITA. It's hard for me to make much sense of it. They said we are playing in a weak conference. Uh....okay, what? The one analyst mentioned that Georgia is a great example of what to expect. They were undefeated last year, won the conference tournament and then fizzled out and didn't finish (although they didn't advance to the national indoors). However, the one high on A&M said that this team reminds him of the Florida and Vanderbilt teams that ran through the NCAAs and won a natty. Both agree that it's very hard to choose a #1 right now, with 7-8 teams potentially having enough to win it all...
Harry Dunne
Good summary, thanks For posting.

The scheduling comment, to me is dumb. We played team indoors and we play in the conference that has won the most national championships. All you can do is beat who you play, and we almost ran the table
aggiedrjdub
AG
I agree and I might add, the guy that is not fan of us being highly ranked is super high on tu. Annoying.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Also, I should document their names but I'm too lazy. The guy on the YouTube on the right is a fan of a&m. The guy on the left is in love with tu.
aggiesherpa
AG
And those "extra matches" were a good way to get new people match experience. Do they inflate our record, absolutely. Do they help our ranking, not at all. But with as many newcomers as we had, and players not in the main staying 6, the match experience was worth it.
taylorswift13
AG
Well his love for tu explains everything
Chapa96
AG
So if seedings follow ITA rankings, then we will be paired with tu in the Elite 8!?!

aggiedrjdub
AG
Yes - I think Harry mentioned that earlier. Booo
mullokmotx
AG
Need to get to the Elite 8 first.
Hydrocele_aggie
Actually rooting for Coach Kleiencke this time but I still think he needs to move on
Anchorhold
1. ITA rankings are still stupid
2. TennisONE app named exclusive app & streaming home of 2022 NCAA DI men's and women's tennis championships. Download now I guess.
mullokmotx
AG
Great interview just now on Texags radio with Mark Weaver and Tatiana Makarova.
Aggie Tennis
AG
I think we are stronger than texas in doubles and lines 2-4. Won't be easy but we can win that matchup. If Carson plays well she can beat anyone but will be a very challenging match at #1.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm confused. What do you mean by this?
Harry Dunne
Aggie MBA said:

I think we are stronger than texas in doubles and lines 2-4. Won't be easy but we can win that matchup. If Carson plays well she can beat anyone but will be a very challenging match at #1.
I agree with this. Though texas does play good doubles and it goes so fast that it can really go either way.

We are favored at 2-4, but texas is very strong there as well and I would be surprised if we swept those lines. We are weaker at 5-6 but they are not unbelievable there and we have a shot at either spot.

Believe it or not I think the biggest advantage for either team is t.u. at 1 followed by us with Tatiana at 2 for the same reasons on both ends. Stearns and Tatiana are unbelievable competitors. I hesitate to criticize athletes harshly because at the end of the day they are college students, but I'll say as impressed as I am with Carson's talent I am equally unimpressed by her as a competitor when the going gets tough. I hope we play the horns and I hope she proves me wrong. I think we are going to learn a lot about her by how she fares against Stearns. I think it's a genius lineup Mark has played all year. Tatiana IMO is our #1 player and good on her for having the humility to give up that spot. Carson can beat anyone and has a higher ceiling, but college tennis is about competing and she would have lost a few matches at 2 or even 3. Putting her at 1 gives Tatiana the chance to play against a slightly weaker player and she has been lights out.

Anyway I don't think either team is going to lose to anyone before the Elite 8. It's going to be a battle!
Ag4eva95
Congrats to the girls on all the awards! I think Tati should have been player of the year. As dominant as she was, I don't think there is any question she deserved it. How did a girl from Florida get the award, outside of the ITA ranking.

Congrats Coach Weaver on a much deserved award!
Anchorhold
100% agree

Harry Dunne
Chapa96
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Aggie MBA said:

I agree with this. Though texas does play good doubles and it goes so fast that it can really go either way.

We are favored at 2-4, but texas is very strong there as well and I would be surprised if we swept those lines. We are weaker at 5-6 but they are not unbelievable there and we have a shot at either spot.

Believe it or not I think the biggest advantage for either team is t.u. at 1 followed by us with Tatiana at 2 for the same reasons on both ends. Stearns and Tatiana are unbelievable competitors. I hesitate to criticize athletes harshly because at the end of the day they are college students, but I'll say as impressed as I am with Carson's talent I am equally unimpressed by her as a competitor when the going gets tough. I hope we play the horns and I hope she proves me wrong. I think we are going to learn a lot about her by how she fares against Stearns. I think it's a genius lineup Mark has played all year. Tatiana IMO is our #1 player and good on her for having the humility to give up that spot. Carson can beat anyone and has a higher ceiling, but college tennis is about competing and she would have lost a few matches at 2 or even 3. Putting her at 1 gives Tatiana the chance to play against a slightly weaker player and she has been lights out.

Anyway I don't think either team is going to lose to anyone before the Elite 8. It's going to be a battle!
If we actually do get to play them I think it will be close. I agree that we could be favored 2-4. I saw tu play against OU last weekend so I did get to see each line play. Peyton is tough! She plays smart and goes for her shots and makes them! I didn't see the power as I thought I might but her placement was just amazing. She was toying with the OU player. Carson needs to play consistent and be ready for a battle! Their lines 5 and 6 are new players. Line 5 lost and line 6 was taken to 3 sets. I don't recall if they got to finish. They are beatable. OU has beaten them twice and I wasn't all that impressed with them. I like our chances. I am not sure whom Mark will use in Line 6 but we need a strong lineup for the NCAA's. I saw tu win it all last year and the tu men's the previous championships both at the USTA campus in Florida. In which, I visited today while working here in Orlando area. Such an amazing venue. I enjoy tennis and especially college tennis and I am sooo ready for this year's run to possibly end tu's run!!! My tickets and flights are bought for Illinois this year in hoping to see our Ags crowned the National Champions and get that trophy to bring back to CS!!!
Signem
Some people, even troll Aggies, can get caught in a time warp.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.