Vball

86,686 Views | 757 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Couchcoach
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lost 1st set to Marquette 25-12.
Won 2nd set 28-26.
Lost 3rd set 25-21.

Gonna be one of those years. .500?
Chapa96
AG
Win the 4th 25-15. Onto the 5th.
Chapa96
AG
Ags lose to Marquette in 5.

Ag4eva95
As much as I thought Destiny Cox was the answer, she was a major liability out there. Serve receive is going to be a pain point Camielle set everyone extremely low the first few sets.

Once they put Treyaunna in there, there was a little continuity. Marquette is a consistently top 25 program. Not a bad loss. In reality, we should have been destroyed. The girls fought and fought hard
Anchorhold
Is there any way to stream the Vball games?
taylorswift13
AG
Usually they can be seen on the ESPN app!
Ag4eva95
Marquette streamed it last night via YouTube. Tonight's match isn't being streamed, tomorrow's match against Hawaii will be.
gigum
AG
Did we stand for the National Anthem?
Anchorhold
Anchorhold
Ag4eva95
Defense is going to be an issue this year. Watching this Hawaii match, we can't pass serve. Communication will hopefully improve, but dang. This is hard to watch.

Bright side Lauren Davis looks like the kill presence we need out there.
taylorswift13
AG
You are absolutely right, Davis is playing really well!! Our back row needs help, our defense has to many holes! This Hawaii game is hard to watch
Anchorhold

Too many service errors and UH just plain has better spacial awareness.
taylorswift13
AG
Our back row
Ag4eva95
This is embarrassing. Cam Ennis should not be playing on that court. Her lack of communication has lost us what seems to be 10 points. And the new libero has to be passing less than a 2.0. She is a liability as well
Gap
AG
Why hasn't the transfer from North Carolina played since opening night?
Ag4eva95
Not sure. First instinct is that she is injured but she also hasn't played well since she's arrived hede
taylorswift13
AG
I was so excited for Carrabine, but her passing has been subpar! I'm surprised, I expected her to plug in very well! Our first and second passes are horrible. Passing like that will put us behind big in SEC play! We need to gel together quickly
taylorswift13
AG
Our girls did not want to be there tonight, we need tk get things together quickly! Thankfully we have plenty "winnable" games coming up! After a trip to Cal Poly Wednesday, we're in Texas till Sep 22
Gap
AG
They just inserted Cox to begin the 3rd set against Hawaii. So she wasn't injured. And she promptly responds with an error and now another error. Wow.

Hawaii leads 2 sets to 0 and 6-0 in the 3rd set. Timeout A&M.

Marquette swept Hawaii last night. Woof on tonight's effort by us.
Ag4eva95
This is embarrassing. No communication. No passing. We haven't been in system much all night. Even over passing free balls. There is no excuse for this performance. Camielle needs to step up and doesn't seem to be doing so
taylorswift13
Gap
AG
A&M leads 19-18 in the 3rd. Morgan Christon is on fire.
Ag4eva95
And then our serve receive issued flash their lack of communication. This loss is more on the coaching staff
Ag4eva95
Embarrassing. Hawaii played just as bad. This was not a good volleyball match
Wicked Good Ag
Cox hit negative in the first match which is why she wasnt playing likely. The issue with fringe top 25 teams like we have been for a while is do you base everything on ball control or athletic gifted players. and what combination of that do you have. We need a 6 rotation OH who can pass effectively enough along with one DS who passes nails for the other OH. We dont have the girl that is a 6 rotation passer hitter combo and we dont have DS that night in night out give the same steady performance. The DS we have call all do the job but match to match or set to set the level of execution changes.

we havent been good and creating strong out of system swings for a while now sans Hans over the past few years...therefore ball control is a premium but we dont pass effectively enough either.

We have the pieces in place to do well when the players are on but that isnt match to match or even set to set lately....sans Hans once again
Jack Pearson
AG
Another poor showing for Bird.

What was the story on the National Anthem for the Baylor game? Hearing it was played so early that no one was there so the team didnt have to stand?
Harry Dunne
Someone needs to call the Corbellis and see what they are up to.

Ag4eva95
Or Bjork needs to invest money like he has other programs.
Harry Dunne
There's plenty enough being invested into every program on campus that in combination with the fertile recruiting grounds we are in and and the solid academic and athletic reputation the school has that a program should be top 25 more often than not.
Ag4eva95
Considering we don't have dedicated volleyball facilities, unlike every other sport, I'd say there is a lack of equal investment compared to others. There aren't any plans for volleyball only facilities. It's all shared.

You throw in the fact you now have to compete with Texas and Baylor in state, plus the fact top recruits don't typically stay instate(ex: Nebraska signed a stud OH from Houston).

Until they invest and pay up like the big dogs(ex: us hiring Schloss for baseball), then we are going to be average. Whether you like it or not, we were pretty average during the Corbelli tenure.

I'd be curious to know how the school is investing in volleyball.
Harry Dunne
Fair enough, but our tennis teams are the only ones in the conference without an indoor facility and still manage to be regulars in the Sweet 16. Neither has made a "big splash" hire. They both just made great under the radar hires that started off at very reasonable salaries.

Our volleyball budget like our other sports I guarantee you is in the top 25 if not a top 10 in the country. We might not have the facility, but we have everything else.

I agree that we were nothing special under the Corbellis, but typically if you're going to run a coach off that has been competitive and run a clean program you better be bringing someone in that is going to take it to the next level. I just don't see that happening right now.
bigboyaggie
Would love to know the politics behind why she is being paid so much money. Has done little to nothing when you compare her resume and results to other coaches on campus with far superior achievements time and time again. Actually I would probably prefer not to know the politics.
Ag4eva95
Hmmm, I highly doubt our volleyball budget compares to the Texas, Nebraska and Penn States of the world. Our legacy isn't one to necessarily be excited about. Having those big names are huge in the recruiting world.

Tennis does though, have their own facility. At one point, it hosted NCAAs. So it's not a bad facility. We don't necessarily need the indoor courts compared to the northern schools. They might help with recruiting, but I doubt that is the number one reason a kid would come to A&M.
Wicked Good Ag
Harry Dunne said:

Fair enough, but our tennis teams are the only ones in the conference without an indoor facility and still manage to be regulars in the Sweet 16. Neither has made a "big splash" hire. They both just made great under the radar hires that started off at very reasonable salaries.

Our volleyball budget like our other sports I guarantee you is in the top 25 if not a top 10 in the country. We might not have the facility, but we have everything else.

I agree that we were nothing special under the Corbellis, but typically if you're going to run a coach off that has been competitive and run a clean program you better be bringing someone in that is going to take it to the next level. I just don't see that happening right now.
I dont think we were average under the Corbellis. We were at top 25 team who had to play many years in the shadow of a top 5 team in Texas. Until they got Elliott we were the dominant team in Texas for a few years.

Can i pin point exactly what we need to move up? yes we need OH who can terminate in system and out of system and pass better. Our middles are fine for the last few years in terms of the way the game is played, although we will be below average at that position nexy year of neither starter comes back. The loss of every middle recruit last year hurts a lot in the program maybe not this year but next. Pins are where the game is played now but we dont have the consistancy of ball control to have in system kills and we dont hit well enough shot selection wise out of system.

You honestly have to go back to the Battis, Banse, Ammerman era to show a team that had the ball control and shot selection to what elite teams have now.

What does the Sweet 16 run that Bird had differ from this team? a 6 rotation outside who can terminate in and out of system, attack some from back row and a high level libero (Gomez)...everyhting else is roughly the same

As for the free ball passes passed over the net it depends on if Conner was front row or back row. If back row those things are generally inexcusable. If front row they are giving an opportunity for Conner to attack in some manner and thus need it closer to net and just missed pace wise

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.