***** Formula 1 - 2021 Season *****

184,800 Views | 2957 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MichaelMasi
Gladiator 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McLaren with their reveal of the MCL35M

EDIT: Other years

2020 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/3095960
2019 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/3026147
2018 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/2914477
2017 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/2843512
2016 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/2734173
2015 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/2591687
2014 - https://texags.com/forums/10/topics/2463696
Vernada
AG
New Mercedes power unit and new Daniel Ricciardo!
Vernada
AG
Alpha Tauri's new livery is sharp.

I think they'll be a really fun team to watch this year.

I'm hoping to see them and McLaren do great this.
planoaggie123
AG
Sitting here thinking how much I would love to go to Austin this year but maybe more realistic will be 2022...
cap-n-jack
Not going to be much fun at Haas this year.

https://formulanerds.com/articles/haas-set-to-abandon-2021-hopes/?fbclid=IwAR28iG8Uc_cabNu7E1VfX9XpdSVbKaHabH-Ng0hHxYBOwGRiHMluJ6trjiU

They (Driver of car number 9 and Mick Schumacher) will learn from this and it is also a good opportunity for them,

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nikita-mazepin-racing-should-do-the-talking/

So is the Russian going to have that seat or not?
Vernada
AG
I think it's a good year to do this - there were limited changes they could make to the 2021 car anyway - and Haas has two rookies. I can certainly see the appeal of NOT spending any money on upgrades now and focusing on the 2022 car.
Vernada
AG
oh - and I"m not sure what's up with the quote. I haven't seen anything that says Mazepin won't be driving for Haas.
lazuras_dc
AG
What's the process and going to an f1 race like ? Specifically COTA?
I see you have to put a deposit down and is it just a lottery and you get tickets wherever they assign you if you're successful? How much is deposit generally?

Are you allowed access fri-Sunday?

F1_Aggie_Fan
AG
When I attended in 2019 you could purchase three day passes for general admission or for a certain section such as grandstand. You were not able to buy certain seats but you selected the area and if it was assigned seating you are given seat number at checkout. I believe people were able to buy tickets for one day only.
Vernada
AG
Vernada said:

Alpha Tauri's new livery is sharp.

I think they'll be a really fun team to watch this year.

I'm hoping to see them and McLaren do great this.

Based on practice so far I'm really hoping to see good things from McLaren this season.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Excited to follow again this season!
Gladiator 96
AG
Started into Season 3 of Drive to Survive tonight !!
Robert C. Christian
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Started into Season 3 of Drive to Survive tonight !!
Same here, made it through Episode 3 last night. I want to believe this was not a joke:
Gladiator 96
AG
Just finished DTS Episode 9. Get ready for some onions.
F1_Aggie_Fan
AG
I am excited it is a race week. Who do you guys think will be the biggest surprise this season?
Gladiator 96
AG
F1_Aggie_Fan said:

I am excited it is a race week. Who do you guys think will be the biggest surprise this season?
Tsunoda is one I'll be watching. Brand new F1 rookie but seems to be in the best spot of all the new guys. Mick and Mazepin will hopefully perform well, but may struggle getting out of the pit that is usually Haas.
F1_Aggie_Fan
AG
Agreed about Tsunoda. He should be the rookie of the year. I think the performance of Aston Martin will be worse then expected. I feel like people bought into the language being used during their car launch and it was not followed up well in testing.
Gladiator 96
AG
I think another big storyline to watch will be how some of these new driver lineup pairings work out. 7 out of 10 teams had a change to their driver lineup. Will they gel? Will they clash?
F1_Aggie_Fan
AG
Norris and Ricardo will be interesting with Norris stating he wants to be a number 1 driver. Alonso will cast a shadow over Ocon so it will be interesting to see how Ocon reacts. Sainz being a number 2 at Ferrari in a tough season will also be intrigue to see if team orders come into play.
Vernada
AG
Checo's impact on Red Bull should be really fun/interesting.
JDL 96
Vernada said:

I've seen a media person predicting that Checo beats Verstappen and wins the driver's title. That would be something.
gigem70
AG
Finished season 3 of Drive to Survive last night. Ready for some racing
boy09
AG
Never followed F1 before, randomly started watching Drive to Survive last week and finished all 3 seasons. Then was pleasantly surprised to discover that the 2021 season starts this weekend. I guess i'm an F1 guy now.
planoaggie123
AG
Wake up early on Saturday / Sunday AMs for a few weeks in a row and you will be hooked! Its a fun sport. This coming season will be my second following...also due to DTS...
boy09
AG
Still trying to wrap my head around all the rule changes, and what actually is/isn't going into effect this year after covid screwed everything up in 2020.
Gladiator 96
AG
I don't know if previous year's threads have done this, but I will do it this time around.

Quick Tutorial for Race Weekend (for those new to F1)

Friday
  • Free Practice 1 and Free Practice 2 - This is a time for teams to test out the cars and all associated operations, and give the driver's time to reacquaint with and get used to the race track and practice doing "hot laps" or full-speed laps. Fastest lap times are recorded and noted for the drivers for each session.

Saturday
  • Free Practice 3 - Final tuneup for the drivers to prepare for qualifying and note any remaining issues with the car. Fastest lap times are recorded and noted for the drivers for each session.

Note: FP1 and FP 2 sessions last an hour, down from 90 minutes last year.

• Qualifying - There are three rounds of qualifying (Q1, Q2, Q3) to determine the starting order for the race on Sunday.

Q1 - (18 minutes) All 20 drivers attempt to post their fastest hot lap. Top 15 drivers advance to Q2. Bottom 5 drivers are then slotted 16-20 for the race based on fastest lap times in Q1 session.
Q2 - (15 minutes) Top 15 remaining drivers again try to post fastest hot lap. Top 10 drivers advance to Q3. Remaining 5 drivers are then slotted 11-15 for the race based on fastest lap times in Q2 session.
Q3 - (12 minutes) Top 10 remaining drivers slotted 1-10 based on fastest lap times in Q3 session. "Pole position" awarded to fastest lap time posted in Q3 session.

Note: Drivers can attempt as many times as they are able within the time slot to record a fastest lap.

Sunday
Race - Drivers line up on starting grid based on qualifying results (and penalty times if assessed). Drivers perform a warm-up or "formation" lap to get into position. Lights out and race is underway!
  • Points are awarded only to the Top 10 finishers in the race. Points count toward both driver's and constructor's championships. Fastest driver lap time during the race is also awarded a point
  • Fastest lap time and fastest track sector times are noted during the race.
Vernada
AG
JDL 96 said:

Vernada said:

I've seen a media person predicting that Checo beats Verstappen and wins the driver's title. That would be something.
I predict we see more team-on-team wrecks before we see that!

But it will be awesome if we can have two Red Bulls positioned to effectively impact Mercedes strategy.
gggmann
AG
Also, Sprint qualifying will be trialed in 3 races this year.
gggmann
AG
Most impactive changes are the reduction of the floor in front of the rear wheels and the shortened fences on the diffuser. Also winglets around the brake ducts have been limited/reduced.
Vernada
AG
gggmann said:

Most impactive changes are the reduction of the floor in front of the rear wheels and the shortened fences on the diffuser. Also winglets around the brake ducts have been limited/reduced.
and that's important because all those tweaks reduce downforce correct?
cap-n-jack
Still expect to see Mercedes up front. But the rest should be interesting, particularly interested to see how Red Bull performs.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.2021-f1-rules-the-key-changes-explained.2dCtCkxNofk20K1B4rJwTk.html
gggmann
AG
Vernada said:

gggmann said:

and that's important because all those tweaks reduce downforce correct?
Yes. The other thing that will be key to watch is how much development teams do on their cars this year during the season. With the major rule changes coming into effect for 2022 (pushed 1 year due to COVID) we will see ground effect cars for the first time since 1982 along w/ larger 18" wheels. Teams will want to get a jump start on those developments as soon as possible.

I suspect if the championship is close you'll see the top teams continuing development through the season until it is out of reach which could have an impact on their performance next year. The smaller teams will do very little to this year's car. Haas already stated that their last updates for the year will be introduced at the 2nd race so they can focus on 2022.
La Fours
AG
Excited for the race this weekend. Really enjoyed DTS season 3. Episode 9 was fantastic tv, showing the contrasting storylines between Checo and RG. And seeing the reactions of the drivers and teams when RG had that crash was chilling. Hearing KMag asking if Romain was ok hit me hard.

Lots of fun moments too. Vettel telling the PR woman that the speculation was the truth for the timing of the announcement he was going to greener Mercedes.
cap-n-jack
Qualifying is on ESPN2 at 10am.
Verstappen had 7/10's on the field in FP3. Mercedes is sandbagging.
La Fours
AG
I'm betting most teams were sandbagging. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.