***** Formula 1 - 2021 Season *****

186,146 Views | 2957 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MichaelMasi
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oops, I didn't see that earlier. This has to be tracked right? Either the fuel is in there or it isn't. With the amount of telemetry and sensors on these cars it should be pretty easy to tell one way or the other.
lunchbox
nai06 said:

Oops, I didn't see that earlier. This has to be tracked right? Either the fuel is in there or it isn't. With the amount of telemetry and sensors on these cars it should be pretty easy to tell one way or the other.
Otmar is probably correct that there is a fuel pump issue (or something) preventing the fuel from physically being available. I don't think the regs allow for them to replace the pump to get it out so it is going to be interesting to see if the FIA bends at all. I don't think they will.
Gladiator 96
AG
Cramp00
Where do I get full F1 content? Im annoyed at how fast espn cuts out after the race. Even worse I forgot to record Sunday so I watched the espn 2 replay. Didn't even show the podium.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
F1 TV Pro, or follow Sky Sports F1 on YouTube as they post a lot of that content.
htxag09
AG
Check the watch espn app. They have more coverage than on the cable channels.
WC87
AG
On the ESPN app, the F1 show Checkered Flag covers from just post podium thru post race interviews for about an hour. Also it's avail to stream any time.
La Fours
AG
It looks ESPN has gone to a hard out this season on the length of time for the live broadcast. And if the race is over, then they shut it down. Now the replay was probably cut even shorter to fit the time slot. And with the race being red flagged, that probably took up time that normally would have been for post race podium and interviews.
texags08
AG
Hey guys, so happy to see there is a thread for F1, I'm the only one in my extended family that watches.

Is the consensus among my Aggie brethren that Hamilton is a little whiny ***** that that is great at not giving up first place but is only able to gain positions through pit strategy or outright machine dominance rather than pure race craft?

Hopefully I'm not the only one that hates him.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks member…
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Here, here.

Don't care what the stats say Schumacher, Alonso, and Senna are better.
m-walker
AG
This is my first season watching. After seeing Checo and Max the past two races, I have a little more appreciation for the difficulty of the middle pack.
TopFlightReject
texags08 said:

Hey guys, so happy to see there is a thread for F1, I'm the only one in my extended family that watches.

Is the consensus among my Aggie brethren that Hamilton is a little whiny ***** that that is great at not giving up first place but is only able to gain positions through pit strategy or outright machine dominance rather than pure race craft?

Hopefully I'm not the only one that hates him.
Same here. Only one in my family that is up early saturdays and sundays on qauli/race days. My wife complains this is the only time I'm out of bed before 9am on weekends. lol

I dont hate Hamilton.. I think he's a heck of a driver that has benefitted greatly from Mercedes technical expertise and strategy. Even though hes bested some of schumachers records i think guys like Schumacher, Lauda, Senna, are better drivers on pure technical ability behind the wheel.

Best example in recent times is look what Russell did in the Merc at Sakhir last year. The dude can drive but look what happens when you're in a drive like the Merc.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
It seems there are some newer racing fans on this thread so I thought I'd throw this plug on here.

F1 is on break so if you're trying to scratch that racing itch Indycar is doing the first ever street course in Nashville on Sunday. The course is sort of a poor man's Baku but is unique in that, as far as anyone can find, it's the first racing event to cross over a major body of water. They will go down one side of Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge and then back across on the other side. Here's a clip of Romain Grosjean (the phoenix) doing a simulator run in preparation.

WC87
AG
PWestAg18 said:

It seems there are some newer racing fans on this thread so I thought I'd throw this plug on here.

F1 is on break so if you're trying to scratch that racing itch Indycar is doing the first ever street course in Nashville on Sunday. The course is sort of a poor man's Baku but is unique in that, as far as anyone can find, it's the first racing event to cross over a major body of water. They will go down one side of Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge and then back across on the other side. Here's a clip of Romain Grosjean (the phoenix) doing a simulator run in preparation.

Cool.
texags08
AG
Haven't watch any Indy car. Are there realistic passing opportunities on street circuits like this? I know they can follow much closer than F1, but I have only ever seen highlights of Indy on ovals and it seems like NASCAR with a single seater.
Gladiator 96
AG
Is it their first street race period, or first street race in Nashville? I don't follow Indycar very much.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Indycar has a lot more passing than F1. The cars all use the same spec chassis and the engines are all the same spec, just depends on if you buy from Chevy or Honda. They have two tire compounds, you have to use both during the race, and they still do refueling at pit stops so the cars on track are constantly in different conditions/speeds due to tire condition, fuel load, wing adjustments, etc. It is a much more rough and tumble racing series than F1. Comes down more to pit/race strategy and driver skill where as F1 is all about spending tons of money to shave off thousandths of seconds on your lap time. I find enjoyment in both, they're just different.

As far as passing goes, Indycar will have lots of passing in their oval and road courses, a little bit less in the street circuits, although this one is going to be unique because of the long straights over the bridge.

Romain Grosjean has a YouTube channel chronicling his first season doing Indycar and being in America. I highly recommend it as he has some great onboard footage as well as explanations of what's different between driving in Indycar and F1

Michael Cera Palin
AG
Gladiator 96 said:

Is it their first street race period, or first street race in Nashville? I don't follow Indycar very much.
First street race in Nashville. Indycar will do ovals, road courses, and street circuits throughout the year
TV Casualty
AG
texags08 said:

Haven't watch any Indy car. Are there realistic passing opportunities on street circuits like this? I know they can follow much closer than F1, but I have only ever seen highlights of Indy on ovals and it seems like NASCAR with a single seater.

There was a time when IndyCar at Texas Motor Speedway was awesome. The cars could run anywhere on the track. Lots of passing and close finishes. Way better than NASCAR. It's too bad that it's been ruined now.

This Nashville track looks to have about 3 or 4 corners with good passing opportunities. Then there is a really long straight over the Cumberland river bridge that should see some passes.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
As a huge IndyCar fan, if the technicality/engineering of F1 is what interests you, you won't find IndyCar very exciting. If you are a fan of seeing talent in mostly equal equipment, (IndyCar teams are allowed to design their own suspensions, dampers, and some other mechanical parts), it's something you will enjoy.

NBC, though, doesn't provide too much information on the broadcast and that's one area F1 is miles ahead. (That said I think Townsend Bell, Leigh Diffey, and Paul Tracy make an excellent commentator team, better than David Croft, and Anthony Davidson IMO). Because there is refueling as well as tire changes, pit stops mean a lot more and pit strategy is very important on road and street circuits, due to higher variance in timing.

IndyCar has also slowly done away with most of its ovals, (mostly because they keep catering to NASCAR which generally doesn't mix well with IndyCar). As mentioned, Texas was basically ruined for IndyCar racing after reconfiguration by adding that stupid PJ1 adhesive to the outside racing lines, to add grip for NASCAR.

Over a single lap, they will be on average 5-10 seconds a lap slower than F1 on a similar circuit, but the lack of radical downforce components is what allows the racing to be close.

(Also we got a cool thread in this same board )
AgGrad99
AG
I never run across IndyCar on TV. When is it aired?

Ever since Romain moved to Indy, I wondered about pay. How much do the F1 drivers make, versus IndyCar?
Michael Cera Palin
AG
The races are usually Sunday afternoons on NBCSN, season starts in the spring, ends in the fall. Practice and qualifying are on Friday and Saturday usually live on NBC's streaming service Peacock. Nashville race is 4:30 CT on NBCSN this Sunday
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks for the info.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
AgGrad99 said:

How much do the F1 drivers make, versus IndyCar?
Significantly more, for the most part. There are pay drivers in both series, meaning they bring the funding for the seat, (Latifi and Mazepin in F1, Kellet and Johnson in IndyCar, for example as just a few), but the top F1 guys make somewhere in the ballpark of 25-50 million euros, and the top IndyCar guys (Dixon, Newgarden, etc.) make $3-10 million.

In CART's heyday in the early 1990s, they were very similar on salary, but 'The Split' that lasted from 1996-2008 waned a lot of the interest and funding away from the sport. IndyCar is significantly healthier now, because 2009-2012, there were only a handful of guys getting paid, and most of the grid were pay drivers.

Mercedes budget per car is around 200 million euros, for example, where Penske/Ganassi/Andretti spend about $10-12 million per car. A lot of the F1 budget, however, is simply the sheer cost of flying the cars to the location.

It must be said though that the 2022 iteration of F1 has taken a lot of cues from IndyCar in standardizing parts and a cost cap.

AgGrad99
AG
Interesting. I wonder how much money daddy pays Stroll.

When Albon got called up to Red Bull a few years ago, and he immediately bought a place in Monaco, I wondered how smart a purchase that was, since he just started making money. I wonder how much he makes now as a reserve driver for Red bull.

Any idea how much F2 drivers make?
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Interesting. I wonder how much money daddy pays Stroll.

I knew they made a lot, but had no idea F1 got that much.

When Albon got called up to Red Bull a few years ago, and he immediately bought a place in Monaco, I wondered how smart a purchase that was, since he just started making money. I wonder how much he makes now as a reserve driver for Red bull.

Any idea how much F2 drivers make?
Stoll makes 1.4 million euros. (2021 Driver Salaries). Ricciardo was making 25 million euros at Renault, last year. From what I understand, Alpine/Renault offered Alonso a higher salary than he accepted, and he did so for the upcoming cost cap. I would imagine Hamilton will take a smaller salary moving forward. It would appear that most did take a pay cut given the following:
Quote:

Sportscasting explains that the highest-paid race car drivers are F1, and at the top of the list is Lewis Hamilton, who earned $76 million in 2020. In second place was Sebastian Vettel at $57 million. Number three was Daniel Ricciardo ($32 million), followed by Max Verstappen ($26 million) and Valtteri Bottas ($15 million).

https://work.chron.com/job-description-auto-racer-driver-18996.html
Vettel's salary was a big factor in Ferrari letting him go, IIRC. Pretty sure this article is including their endorsements, just as a caveat.

Monaco is a bit of a tax haven, so they pretty much all do that. But, to answer your question, Albon and most of the reserves make a cool few hundred thousand euros. They all usually have endorsement deals also, which supplement their salary.

Very, very few F2 and F3 drivers even get paid at all, and it's a mere pittance of the salary of reserve drivers, even. The vast majority are pay drivers. This is the biggest reason F1 is a rich man's sport. An average F2 ride for one season is a cool 15.2 million euros.
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks for the link. Interesting to see who makes what. Lando is underpaid, and is due a nice bump.

On a related note, I wonder where Bottas ends up next year.
texags08
AG
I thought Albon was still making pretty good money as the test driver because his initial contract was through this season.
gggmann
AG
When Michael Schumacher was driving for Ferrari he was the 2nd highest paid athlete in the world.
AgGrad99
AG
When I first read his post, I thought he meant the range for all drivers was 25-50 million. Didn't realize he meant the top drivers.

When I looked at the list, it's about what I'd expect.
PJYoung
AG
I've been an F1 fan for 7 or 8 years now - we've been to the last 6 races in Austin and this season has been fascinating. Probably up there with the season long 2016 battle between Nico and Lewis.

I love that Max has finally come into his own and the bad blood between the teams has added that extra spice.

htxag09
AG
PWestAg18 said:

Did anyone watch this race? How was it? I have it recorded but have been swamped so haven't watched it, seeing if it is worth it.
gggmann
AG
Terrible. There were 9 or so full course cautions.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Like gggmann said, pretty rough. They did a good job hyping it up and getting a good crowd/tv audience and then had one of the messiest races in IndyCar history
htxag09
AG
lol good to know

May just watch the beginning to get the course overview and see a couple laps then delete

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.