Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,901 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beautiful morning. 49*, clear, and crisp.
HookThis
AG
70 and breezy in south tx. Quite pleasant
clintaggie04
AG
Opening morning hurricane in Leon county. Weve gotten almost two inches in 24 hours. I'm just listening to the rain hit the tin roof of my stand and chugging coffee. Nothing makes me sleepier than rain.
TresPuertas
AG
Lungblood said:

Headed to San Saba county. My brother and niece counted 97 deer from SS to his blind... Bout 17 miles. Young Bucks chasing a bit

We got here last night and there isn't much moving around at all. Cams showed mostly little uns and does, but like always, hogs are freaking everywhere.

Good luck, and bring a towel to dry everything. The humidity was so bad this morning it was like it had rained
Lungblood
Yeah, this is beyond rediculous. It's so foggy right now you Prob cant see 75 yards. The main reason I'm in deer camp this weekend is to see family.

I don't have much interest in hunting this sheety weather. Gonna have another cup and hit the can.
HookThis
AG
15 bucks on the senderos Im staring down. No spikes, good crop of deer this year
Furlock Bones
AG
Lungblood said:

Yeah, this is beyond rediculous. It's so foggy right now you Prob cant see 75 yards. The main reason I'm in deer camp this weekend is to see family.

I don't have much interest in hunting this sheety weather. Gonna have another cup and hit the can.

I've seen more big deer get stupid during fog than just about any other time.

I wish it was next weekend already. Dying here.
HTownAg98
Got a pig early, but may be difficult to find. Everything is still so green here that hunting is going to be tough until there's a freeze.

In fact, I've been told not to worry about shooting any deer unless it is a really ugly buck. They want to work on getting the pig numbers down because they are everywhere. They are showing up on every camera around the ranch.
thaed137
AG
Nothing so far this morning but rain and a jack rabbit. Hoping this old eight comes walking by but just want some meat at this point.

Hogs have been coming out at eight pm but don't know if want to be in The stand for 15 hours ...
gillom
AG
Runnels County. 17 does and 3 spikes.
highvelocity
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Got a pig early, but may be difficult to find. Everything is still so green here that hunting is going to be tough until there's a freeze.

In fact, I've been told not to worry about shooting any deer unless it is a really ugly buck. They want to work on getting the pig numbers down because they are everywhere. They are showing up on every camera around the ranch.

If you need some help, let me know!
Blanco Jimenez
AG
AgEng06 said:

Just got finished wrapping up everything on this Bee County buck. Will post more later, but here's a pic for now.

Where do you hunt in Bee County?
Lungblood
Big ol jug head. Where did you hit that buck?
I-Haul
AG
This sport is such a kick to the nuts sometimes. Cousin and I have been down every weekend for a month. Bow hunting and getting stuff ready. Another cousin rolls in at 10 last night for the first time all year and has a big 8 on the ground by 7:30. The two of us that have been working haven't seen a thing.

Oh well. Excited for him.
thaed137
AG
Ive been on the other side of that. Buddy has a lease they have been working on and rarely see deer. I hunted one morning with them and shot the only deer that season. However, half the fun is putting the work in
AgEng06
AG
I was hunting on my in-laws' place (brother's wife's family), but it's SW of Beeville off of 59.
AgEng06
AG
He was quartering away slightly so I hit him about halfway back angling toward the off shoulder. Ran about 70 yds and crashed.
sjislepilot
AG
AgBass01 said:

Picture won't load for me for some reason but congrats!

Fixed the link.

Any pics of your hog to come?

Sat in stand from 6pm till 8:30am this morning. It was a bruttal sit. Saw Sika on there from game cam night before. Was dying to get it. Heard it mew close by. Never came in. hard to be disappointed though with how the season has gone so far for me. Would go nuts to see a drop tine like that one earlier posted. THAT IS AWESOME
HTownAg98

235 pounds of ugly and nasty.
sjislepilot
AG
Well here we are again...

Can any of you wildlife people tell me why these WT does in the hill country are SO bony. Only thing I can think of is over population. But then again doesn't exactly seem to be lack of resources...
AgBass01
AG
Will get a picture of hog up once I get some better service.

Beautiful axis by the way!
AgBass01
AG
sjislepilot
AG
Nice pig!

On a side note. This back and forth thread checking is getting ridiculous.... Why two threads?!!
AgBass01
AG
Lol, I agree.
Chickenhawk
sjislepilot said:

Nice pig!

On a side note. This back and forth thread checking is getting ridiculous.... Why two threads?!!

This one started as an archery from the stand thread...I'm assuming the other was started for rifle season.
AgBass01
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

sjislepilot said:

Nice pig!

This one started as an archery from the stand thread...I'm assuming the other was started for rifle season.

Yup
sjislepilot
AG
I know how it started - it would just make sense to keep this going. Do they think they are better than us ?!?
AgBass01
AG
Yea, you smoke pole guys ain't got nothing on us!
Sean98
AG
sjislepilot said:

Well here we are again...

Can any of you wildlife people tell me why these WT does in the hill country are SO bony. Only thing I can think of is over population. But then again doesn't exactly seem to be lack of resources...

They should be bony this time of year since they have been nursing twins though a Texas summer now than likely. ...that said ,yes ,Texas has an artificially high population in many areas due to the proliferation of corn feeders. Too many deer for the actual habitat.
Sean98
AG
Let them have their own thread. It'll keep all (most) the boozing in the stand in that thread.
AgBass01
AG
So if I'm boozing in the stand I have to go to that one?
Sean98
AG
That's why I said most.
thaed137
AG
So on both threads cause I can't keep track

Alright guys long post from phone so bear with me as I'm pretty excited....backstory

My buddy lost his father a few years ago and was trying to rebuild the family property to its former glory days. I started to help him and he offered to let me hunt up there (near Woodville) for free. I've never been on a lease as family never hunted so I jumped on it.

I bought an all seasons feeder rec'd from you guys and a nice game camera Sean recommended. We started feeding and seeing deer ...and hogs... At night mostly. Due to road being close to house I wanted to hunt I wanted to elevate the ground blind so I started to build a platform with the woodworking wife...

I then got it put up and secured

I was damn excited for opening rifle weekend but was concerned with warm weather as deer only showed at night except for random afternoon deer. I arrived Friday and learned I would be only one here which was a downer but I'm here to hunt not socialize. Did some fishing to pass the time Friday...

I went out at 5am with a cooler expecting to be out all day. My view to the right...

It was a hot night and it rained at first light so I figured my chances of seeing a deer were very small. About 9.5 hours in to being in the stand I catch a head of a doe poking out. My heart instantly goes to over drive and I rush moving my position and make too much noise and this little year old doe bounds back where it came from. Would I have shot? Nope...did I have an adrenaline crash second guess everything and think I'm an idiot who won't see another deer? Yep.

Two hours later near 4:45 on the other side I see another head poke out, holy **** I hit over drive again as in those two seconds I see... Big... Mature...and antlers. Smoothe as a high schooler hitting on a college chick can be I reposition my sticks and get my gun up.....my rest is very sturdy so from gun on deer to head turn confirming he is a shooter to bang was all of 3 seconds......Bang!!!

The deer crumples forward but dashes into the woods .... Oh crap I rushed it ... Did I miss? Ciuldnt it obviously was hit but how bad? I've been lucky and have never had a deer run off on me. Ok let's wait a good 30....make that ten minutes...amount of time in blind equals time it felt for those ten mi Utes to pass up to that point.

I get out and initially don't see blood. I look further and finally see a good size drop but it seems to just vanish and his prints are included in with hog tracks so of course the deer is gone never to be found is my first thought... Idiot!... I back track and take a very slow approach as Texas always says and fine small droplets as I go and mark them if I have to back track. It eventually leads me to a barb wire fence I see so I abandon the trail and go over the fence knowing if he did t jump it then I have a small area to look. Low and behold a lot of white tuff and larger blood marks....20 yards in and he is down......Aaaaaaaaah!

He was definitely a fighter with those scars...

He is pretty big for that area and old. Largest buck to date for a whitetail. Feels so awesome to have out the work in on the land and to get rewarded with largest buck they've seen in years.

Good luck guys and remember just takes that one moment!
AgBass01
AG
Stared on both threads sir, congrats!
Lonestar06
My son got one of our cull 7 points in Brazos County. My turn tomorrow evening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.