Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,879 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
texag_89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Nice bucks '89 and Lungblood!

Today was great. Had 2 hunters kill a spike and 2 does a piece. They both said there were probably 25-30 does at each feeder. Which is entirely too damn many. Going back out this afternoon to keep thinning em out.

Dirty... Are your deer leases out east of San Angelo just like your dove leases??

If so, yes, kill some of those dang does so I can start driving 765 to Aggieland again.

That thing is hell to drive this time of year - narrow, rough road - overgrown 10 foot high bar ditches - and way too many deer out there b/c all the crop land can support 'em.

_89
AgBass01
AG
2 doe and a fawn at about 10 yards at the moment.
htxag09
AG
Worst part is we have pretty good deer on cameras, but 0 pictures during the day, only come out at night.
phdag
htxag09 said:

Worst part is we have pretty good deer on cameras, but 0 pictures during the day, only come out at night.

Oddly enough same here
Sean98
AG
I kicked about 300 dove and 30 turkeys out of the field on my way in. All quiet since then.

It would not be a good day for a doe or a cull buck to show their face because I'm about ready to tag out and wrap 2016 with a bow.... And then bury it.
sjislepilot
AG
SMOKE EM!
AgBass01
AG
Already smoked one doe this morning. Waiting for a buck tonight.
texican08
AG
4 doe
2 long spikes that will get smoked in spike season
1 young 8

Not bad, where I'm at action doesn't usually start till 5:30. East Jim Hogg Co.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
765 is my favorite road in the world! I'd make it from Angelo to Wellborn in 3 hours and 45 minutes quite regularly.

The deer are pretty thick out here with the wet year we have had. Nothing impressive on camera so far though, which is disappointing because I would have thought the deer would have had above average racks with all the groceries. I hate that these big ranches around us have all decided to high fence, we just don't see near the number of big, mature deer we saw in the past. There used to be a 150+" deer taken off of the place every year. Now there is nothing but dinks. Heavy management is about to take place. Applying for MLD I in 2017.

AgBass01
AG
Just had a big buck run in from the woods and go straight after a doe. Chased her back into the trees.
Lungblood
I'm pulling for everyone as I start to fry up some quail I shot last Thursday.

#livingthedream
C4D
AG
Lungblood said:

Just sittin in the cactus patch soakin it all in. I ain't in no big hurry.

SASP delivers. Coaxed him in with the horns did ya? Nice. Good timing on the hunt.
Sean98
AG
Had a doe come out and could hear something following her so I didn't shoot her. Turned out to be a 2 year old 8. Damnit. I should've drilled her.
nealan
I've had pictures of this Panola County deer for two years and tonight was the first time I've seen him on the hoof. He's been completely nocturnal, but it's that time of year and he followed a doe out into an opening for about 5 seconds. He already had his head in the woods when the 7mm SAUM did it's thing. Nice addition to the new house. He'll reside over the fireplace!
phdag
Skunked again.
Sean98
AG
Beautiful tine length!
phdag
nealan said:

I've had pictures of this Panola County deer for two years and tonight was the first time I've seen him on the hoof. He's been completely nocturnal, but it's that time of year and he followed a doe out into an opening for about 5 seconds. He already had his head in the woods when the 7mm SAUM did it's thing. Nice addition to the new house. He'll reside over the fireplace!

Congrats!!
LRHF
AG
First attempt at pictures, let's see how this works:

Buck went 4' and the doe went about 40 yds.
Chazz03
AG
LRHF said:

First attempt at pictures, let's see how this works:

Buck went 4' and the doe went about 40 yds.

Congrats. Amazing how you got them to land so close together
AgBass01
AG
Back at it, 35 and calm here in DeWitt County.
agenjake
Otra vez. Upper 30s and breezy in Zavala County.
MPD280
Pop up blind down in a pretty oak bottom in Marion County. 28 and still. Shot a doe last Sarurday, would like to get one more unless a bruiser appears.
sjislepilot
AG
Dang cold in Kendall county. At it again. Tough getting up this morning. But somehow I made it. Feeling like I didn't pack enough layers. In the heater body suit , which is my favorite article of outdoor wear. But usually works so well I can go light under it... Should have gone heavier today.
Sean98
AG
Low 20s and calm in Shawnee County, Kansas. Too calm really, my scent is probably stinking up the joint.
MPD280
Had lots of woodies fly through, and the squirrels are simply out of control. There is a group of 3 deer milling around about 80 yards out but it's too thick out there to get a good look at them.
Sean98
AG
I may not make it long this morning. My deerpression has officially overtaken me I think. I'm going to try to sit until 9 then go home and organize my truck and load up the dog box to start bird season.
AgBass01
AG
Quiet morning so far, I've only seen 1 deer, a young 6 point with no brow tines that I've never seen before.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
My buddy brought me to his lease as his guest this weekend. I shot my first deer, a doe, of my life yesterday evening. I'm hooked. Now it's time to start looking for a lease! Sitting in the stand again this morning, but only get to look today.
AgBass01
AG
Welcome to the addiction.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
AgBass01 said:

Welcome to the addiction.

Thanks! I LOVE the outdoors, but never had a real opportunity to hunt growing up. I'm learning late, but loving every minute of it. This weekend has been beyond awesome.
sjislepilot
AG
Saw a yearling doe this morning missing the lower quarter of her rear leg. Looked like a miserable existence. I thought about taking it to end it, but not sure if animals care about this as much as we do.
Knucklesammich
Packing up to head to Coleman County. Delayed by a day but bolstered when the wife walks in last night and says, "it was busy as hell this fall and once December hits just make sure you're back by lunch on Thursday eat lunch and we will see you Sunday."

Looks like I get a full week boys
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Awesome! Its fun. Sitting and watching may not be AS fun, but it is still fun and a good way to learn.

I'm actually really enjoying it. More time to "Texags" too. The weight was lifted off the shoulders yesterday when I took her down so I kind of just get to soak it all in and enjoy the scenery this morning. Saw a really nice buck pass though this morning, but only got a very quick glimpse of him as he strolled on by.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.