Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,871 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMaster0 said:

Bagged my first doe by bow, 100 lbs field dressed. Bad shot, but it worked. Lots of adrenaline going, this is a tough sport, but everyone is right about how addicting it is after the first bow deer.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Post pics!!!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Congrats to you brother man. Good show.
SteveBott
AG
Pics?
2ndChanceAg96
AG
SteveBott said:

Pics?
This!!! I see a ton of bragging but no rule #1. That means you are all lying. liars! liars!!
B-1 83
AG
Warmed up in Brackettville this afternoon after a cool morning. Missed a spike this morning - all deer were jittery. Different blind this afternoon on a major road junction with 2 intersecting senderros.
GMaster0
Ok you Comanches.

It was a fun hunt, 12 hours in four stands over three days. Saw deer every time, just one opportunity for a good shot. This was a culmination of several months of work and practice. Bow hunting is a great sport and I stand in awe of the hunters that are able to bag the most crafty of deer. Grateful for this first deer and the meals it will provide my family.

View from the stand, I was hunting over a cover field with nap killzones.

Probably a first year doe, didn't see mom. Took the tenderloins for dinner tomorrow.

B-1 83
AG
I love those neck shots where they just drop and don't even kick
Chickenhawk
Sneaking in a midday hunt from the ground blind.
Allen76
AG
B-1 83 said:

I gutted a buck once, and AFTER he was completely gutted, his legs seemed to come to life. He kicked like crazy with all four legs for a few seconds. I was so surprised, I actually thought that somehow he was going to get up and start running. There was another hunter with me, and we just looked at each other with our Solari faces.
Chickenhawk
Allen76 said:

B-1 83 said:

I gutted a buck once, and AFTER he was completely gutted, his legs seemed to come to life. He kicked like crazy with all four legs for a few seconds. I was so surprised, I actually thought that somehow he was going to get up and start running. There was another hunter with me, and we just looked at each other with our Solari faces.

I would have too.
AggieChemist
AG
GMaster0 said:

Bagged my first doe by bow, 100 lbs field dressed. Bad shot, but it worked. Lots of adrenaline going, this is a tough sport, but everyone is right about how addicting it is after the first bow deer.

In 2005 I killed a bear at 10 paces with my bow. My rifle has sat in my safe completely untouched since then.
Chickenhawk
In the blind for a quick midday hunt. Let's do this!!!
sjislepilot
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

who gets to hunt midweek
Chickenhawk
sjislepilot said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

who gets to hunt midweek

When you work for yourself, you can do what you want.
sjislepilot
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

sjislepilot said:

GeorgiaAg85 said:

who gets to hunt midweek

When you work for yourself, you can do what you want.

I'm in the stand now! HA!

First feeder went off and uhhhh out of corn. DANG

Did quick stand change. Hope she produces.

Anything on your mid week hunt?
clintaggie04
AG
I sat tonight and my dang feeder didn't go off. I got plenty of mosquito bites though. Haha.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Sat down at 4:04. A nice 125lbs sow walked out at 4:54. She got aired out shortly after. Looks like the Hoyt household has its needed pork for the winter.
Chickenhawk
Not then, but I got a cull buck this afternoon
gillom
AG
1st sit of the year. Balmy 65 degrees in Runnels County. Headed to a pinch point on a travel corridor from wheat to bedding. All the rain this year kepr volunteer wheat up all summer.
AgBass01
AG
First sit for me this year, balmy 65 and foggy in DeWitt County.
DimeBox17
AG
Burleson County this morning. Nothing moving yet
Hoyt Ag
AG
Overslept today. Didn't sit down till 0640. Very foggy and still in Polk County.
AgBass01
AG
I took a nap and the feeder went off at 7:00 and woke me up. Very quiet this morning.
clintaggie04
AG
I just had a single doe run full speed across a huge field to my feeder. She stopped ate corn for about two minutes and then ran off at full speed again. Exact opposite of the normal behavior out here.
sjislepilot
AG
I'd gladly take a doe right now. But some of these ones, at least in the hill country, are awfully bony. Haven't decided if I want to let one fly or not.
AgBass01
AG
Finally some movement, a doe and a fawn just walked out.
schmellba99
AG
I am outside of Routte NF in CO right now chasing wapiti. Rumor has it there is a 7x7 walking these woods.

Unfortunately i felt like crap tbis morning amd opted to hang at the cabin instead. Hope this clears off by tbis afternoon.
AgBass01
AG
No luck this morning. Gonna eat some lunch, shower and put on shorts for afternoon hunt. Already 90 here.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Saw a button buck this morning but it got hot fast. Happy hour started at 2 for us.

Headed to my 15 year reunion tonight and a morning hunt tomorrow.
AgBass01
AG
Damn it's hot, just got back in the sweat box in shorts and a t-shirt. Jumped a loan doe that was bedded down about 10 yards from my stand. If she comes back it's on.

On the other hand, at least the beer is cold.
sjislepilot
AG
This again as others have said reminds me why I dislike October hunting. Still ridiculously hot.

I'm not sure I could sit in a box. Chosen the tree instead. Little breeze is helping. Blew a doe out on the way in.

That last cool front was a total TEASSSSSE!
AgBass01
AG
I just got my tree stand moved to my new spot today and didn't get to trim out a shooting lane so I'm stuck in the box.
LRHF
AG
Hope November is nice! Thankfully I have a decent breeze and this stand is about 25' up. Hoping to do some hog control this evening.
sjislepilot
AG
GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE
CS78

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.