Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,895 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of y'all who didn't get your deer this season don't worry

There is always this year
DimeBox17
AG
Last hunt in Lee county this afternoon. Haven't hunted here in nearly a month. Really just going to see if the younger buck I posted a picture of a few weeks ago made it without being shot by a neighbor.
cledus6150
AG
Last hunt for the season in grimes county, almost as warm as opening day.
Ark03
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

For those of y'all who didn't get your deer this season don't worry

There is always this year

There's also muzzleloader season!
TwoMarksHand
AG
In the tripod for the last time. Pretty warm with a slight breeze. Damn bees keep bothering me.
TwoMarksHand
AG
No luck this year.
Sean98
AG
Had 2 does come in at last light but didn't offer me a shot I was comfortable with. Still the first deer I've seen from the stand in a month so 2017 is beginning better than 16 ended.
Doctor51
AG
First season I can remember that I never really got to truly hunt.
Ark03
AG
I'm waiting out this storm in East TX before I go out this morning. I normally wouldn't, but already had a tree fall on a blind this year. With gusts 70-80, I don't want to push my luck.
Colt98
AG
Hallelujah.... my big 9 and his little brother made it through the weekend at my house. I'll actually have a buck to be excited about next year. He should be a 10 next year too, he almost had a tenth point this year.
Sean98
AG
Your neighbor will appreciate that.
Colt98
AG
At least I'll have bow season.. but you are correct..
Chickenhawk
Giving it a shot this afternoon...season is winding down.
TheClaw07
TheClaw07
AG
http://imgur.com/a/pRm8W
trying to post a couple pictures, but apparently I'm old and confused...
TheClaw07
AG
http://imgur.com/a/X4Bqb
http://imgur.com/a/uXJ6S

Anyway, finally got back out to the ranch last Saturday and the wind was howling all day. Saw a few does and a yearling buck in the morning and had seen absolutely nothing all afternoon until a little spike came walking down the hill next to me to enjoy our wheat field. It was almost dark and I heard footsteps coming down the same path that the spike had taken. Looked over and saw this buck walking down the hill and it didn't take long to decide he would be a dead deer. The first two pictures are him from the summer and nobody had seen him all season long until he walked out on New Year's Eve. Pretty good way to end the year!
powerbelly
AG

Sean98
AG
Beautiful deer. Love that tine length. Congrats, sir.
TheClaw07
AG
Thanks Power!
Watchful Ag
Oogway
Aren't you glad you waited for him?! That is a pretty deer. Is he going to be on the wall in your living room?

(Keep in mind I know absolutely nothing about what makes a deer worthy of being mounted. I just go off deer I think look 'nice. ' and leave the rest to the folks that know. )
TheClaw07
AG
Appreciate it! I was happy with him, for sure, and am very glad I waited. About 5 minutes before the spike walked out I had already put up my range finder and had my mind made up to just go ahead and call it! Small addition to the story - I was only in that particular blind because I let the wife pick between three of our stands. I have heard about it every time the deer is mentioned.

As for the wall mount, I am having it euro mounted on a pedestal and it will go on the wall at the ranch with the other deer that has been killed since we bought the place. Currently only my deer from last year is on the wall so there's plenty of empty space.
Oogway
Haha! Of course you have heard about it; it is a joint effort, hunting is! I like how you all have your deer at the ranch, it gives a family history and stories to share among all who visit. Post a pic of your euro when it's done and hopefully y'all will have many more in the years to come.
TheClaw07
AG
That's the hope! I'll post when it's done, no doubt.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Well we stood the whole time in flooded timber, so I guess it's "from the stand". 1 short of our 3 person limit. The girlfriend was a heck of a shot and got her first (and second) duck. Because I ran my mouth before season and said I'd get her first one mounted if we were sure she got it, it looks like I'll be paying for a mount. Great, action packed hunt.

And the best part. Grandma's breakfast afterwards.

AgEng06
AG
AgEng06 said:

Ah, gotcha. Good luck.

I'll be in AZ unit 27 all next week.

Teaser...

Thwack! Thread coming soon.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
I'm headed out this afternoon after not being able to go for a while. It may be a waste with this crazy wind and I may freeze my ass off but I'm going anyway.
toolshed
AG
50 cal muzzleloader loaded and sitting in the drizzling rain, temps around 30 right now. West of Woodville. Passed several cars covered in snow/ sleet on the way from BCS, but only a light dusting in the woods here. Hoping the cold snap will stir the deer and make my last weekend of the season productive!!
SanAntoneAg
AG
Walking/sitting senderos in LaSalle Co. Nothing but javis so far. Beautiful afternoon!
moag94
9 year old son nailed his first deer yesterday in Grimes county. 10 pointer with 16 1/2 inch spread. Now in the blind with his 11 year old brother, who doesn't want to be shown up by little bro!
The Fall Guy
AG
Spike taken in Kimble County this morning.

Forgot how powerful a 30/30 does at close distance. Good thing I had a head shot and not mess the meat up. One of those hey honey we have more venison. That's it don't talk any more. Gruesome
The Fall Guy
AG
Blanco Jimenez
AG

Saw this guy for just a few seconds Friday afternoon and then he came straight to the feeder the next day. Looks pretty similar to this guy that I took a few years ago.

gillom
AG
Nice buck. Looks like the beach.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Thanks. That feeder goes year round and has a lot of deer and hog activity. We have protein and a water trough in the area too so the area gets pretty beat up and the soil there is pretty sandy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.