Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,878 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Watchful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Son of 73 said:

the soil there is pretty sandy.
Do you hunt from a tiki hut?
Chazz03
AG
Well I guess I'm the last one left. Sitting under an old combine in coke co. Windy and 75 degrees. Have a group of fireman and police that don't have leases here cleaning up on this last weekend. One spike and 2 doe this morning. Deer moving everywhere.
plowboy1065
S
I'm headed down south tomorrow. We still have till end of Feb
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You level three guys... do y'all try and focus on a particular deer type (does, management bucks, something else) or are you just trying to meet your quotas?

I have always wondered what I would focus on if I were level three that late in the season and am just curious.
I-Haul
AG
The cold had them out on Saturday morning. Youth Season hunt with my oldest. He shot a spike last year for his first buck. He shot that buck while I was sitting in a tree blind across our property. I was sad not being able to be with him and talk him through it after the fact until the deer was already on the ground.

After sitting for about an hour and drinking hot chocolate in the stand and talking, we were really getting cold. Four bucks feed toward us. We notice that one of them has a limp.

My son decides, on his own mind you, that it would be the right thing to shoot the limping one. It wasn't the biggest of the four, but it was clear that it was injured. We watched them for about 20 minutes waiting for him to present a shot. The other three deer are sparring off and on, which was another cool thing for him to see for the first time. The cold and the buck fever were working on both of us. I was more excited than I can remember being on any hunt in my life.

The deer starts to walk left to right, presenting a perfect shot, except he is walking. To my horror, he isn't stopping. I break out the old "Merrrrr. Merrrrr." call to get the buck's attention. He stops and looks at us.

POW.

The buck stumbles, runs 20 yards and piles up on the edge of the trees. I never lose sight of him through the binoculars. Holy smokes, what a great feeling. The long 15 minute wait begins.

For the first time, he wants to watch while the deer is field dressed. Every other time there has been a chance to watch, he has turned green and walked around in the woods while I do it. He got a hunting knife for Christmas and makes the first cuts. Does a great job of opening everything up. Then he stands there and watches as I finish out. We find the hole in the heart and celebrate again a clean, ethical kill of an animal that was injured.

What a lucky man to have the opportunity to do this with my son! I was proud of his experience, but even more excited that he was thinking about what's best for the animals and deer population. If he would have wanted to shoot the big 8 instead of this limping one, I probably would have encouraged him to reconsider and ask him to think about the long-term impact of that decision. If he would have pushed, I might have given in. It never got to that, though. He immediately knew which deer was the right one to take.

We discovered why it was limping, too. An injured front foot/ankle. It wasn't exactly an open and festering wound. May have been shot earlier in the season. Two circles look like they might be an entry/exit of a bullet.I couldn't tell for sure.

RM1993
AG
My son killed a deer this year with a very similar injury - two holes in the hock just above the hoof. His was more fresh looking and didn't have the swelling seen on yours. We too wondered if it was a bullet entry/exit although I would have expected to see more damage if that was the case. Some type of worm/disease maybe?
plowboy1065
S
This buck we've seen for the last few years was shot this morning. Problem is that it was suggested by our biologist and agreed to by us that he would walk another year.

Mr. McGibblets
AG
Soooooooooooooooo who ****ed up?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Edit because I'm an ass
plowboy1065
S
Tough situation and health wise that may be the last deer he ever shoots
AgEng06
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Because of a preexisting health condition, or a forthcoming one?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well don't I look like an ass now
Sean98
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Well don't I look like an ass now
You looked like an ass before. Nothing new to see here. ;-)

I still have until Jan 31 but my deer 'want to' has pretty much gone away. I do need to throw another doe in the freezer though if I can find time.
plowboy1065
S
AgEng06 said:

plowboy1065 said:

Because of a preexisting health condition, or a forthcoming one?

Anyone else on the lease and it would be forthcoming. The hunter has been fighting cancer on and off for about 20 years and is one tough SOB to still be on his feet after all the chemo and surgeries he's been through.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well good for him then. Chemo is some nasty stuff and watching my mom go through it, I don't wish it on anyone.

Glad he is a fighter and still enjoying life!

Sorry I made my comment earlier... it was purely out of vicarious frustration from having deer that are passed on get shot by someone else.
plowboy1065
S
No offense taken bud and it's just a hard pill to swallow when that deer has been seen a lot even by the guy who shot him.
Watchful Ag
AG
That's a lot of denim!
SteveBott
AG
Why. Not. Will occasionally go there.
bushman
AG
We're heading out after work today, for the last weekend of muzzleloader season. I'm tagged out, so taking the AR for hog patrol. My dad has several nice bucks coming to his feeder, too.
LRHF
AG
What a difference a week makes. Sitting in a tree in Victoria, 81 F! Found a deer that has been AWOL last week on camera. Hoping to see him tonight, need to get this done before start fishing in February!
ghollow
AG
Cold, foggy and windy in Callahan county for the last weekend of doe/spike season. Still need one more deer to fill the freezer
LRHF
AG
That little piggy not going to scare anymore deer off, now back to deer hunting. Had 3 deer come to feeder about 60 s after putting an arrow in a big hog.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
You still able to bow hunt in Victoria? Man if so I'm
Jealous , I'm just up the road near excellent and only can muzzleloader hunt.
That being said not a lot of deer movement, and ducks everywhere!
LRHF
AG
We are seeing plenty of deer this am. Hunting partner just saw a post mature 10 we have never seen. The freeze last weekend killed a lot of grass, should be a good January to fill remaining MLDS tags
ghollow
AG
The fog is bad here. Less than 100 yds visability most of the time.
jetch17
AG
3 black buck doe down this morning

Axis this afternoon
Cancelled
AG
In Zapata. Buddy already killed a nice 9. This is my first time in the stand this weekend..been killing quail and rabbits. Something is going down...buck or doe. But, it's quite windy and might not see anything.
jetch17
AG
Another black buck and cull Axis this afternoon. An incoming bow Axis from another guy shortly
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do you need help killing blackbuck? Have guns will travel
Cancelled
AG
Got a doe. Needed the meat and didn't see anything else.
t_engler2001
AG
Last deer hunt of the year. Son is looking for youth season buck after getting a doe yesterday. Overall it's been a tough deer season.
LRHF
AG
Tall Tine just snuck by without a shot, hoping he is getting some water then returning. Long year chasing this buck! Wind should be good if he comes back, I am about to lose my mind!
LRHF
AG
45 F and light rain, just whacked a doe, waiting on a big 10 pt that is inconsistent at best. He travels by but doesn't typically feed. Hoping the peanuts I threw out will make s difference if he comes by. Ready to go fishing soon!

Glad I picked up an RTIC 65 Q cooler earlier this week.
txags92
AG
Next time, take out a few apples and cut them up when you get to the stand. Throw the chunks as far as you can towards where you expect the deer to appear. They can't resist coming to find that smell of fresh apple.
sjislepilot
AG
jetch17 said:

3 black buck doe down this morning

Axis this afternoon

Generally it's customary to follow these sort of shannanigans up with pictures.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.