Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,892 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Watched a spike for a bit...

Bubble guts started to hit right when he walked off. In my rush to get back home, I left all my gear in the blind. So I guess today will turn in to an all day hunt after I get off the comode.

I got about 2 minutes from the house and called my wife to make sure the downstairs bathroom right by the garage was vacant, since there is no way in hell I was going to be able to waddle up the stairs without dropping last night's nachos inside of my thermals.

Not exactly what I meant by send the big ones my way...

I had the same thing happen to me on a friends lease a few years back...only I was dropped off via ATV and had no where to run or hide. I slopped up the ground at the behind the tree at the base of the stand...wiped with my boxer shorts and buried all the evidence. It made me feel a lot of different emotions......manly emotions of course.
jmazz
AG
Pretty new to the hunting scene. Bought a 'barndominium' through my company a little while back and decided to slap a feeder/camera out there. It's only 10 acres but surrounded by mostly cropland and other similar, undeveloped 10 acre tracts so it feels like a lot more land than it is (Burleson County, Snook/Somerville area). Got my first buck this morning.

OnlyForNow
AG
Got two more doe this morning after only getting a pig last night.

Sean98
AG
Another 2016 kick in the nards. I'm out west this weekend for a bird hunt/work combo and my friend back home tells me he just found another of our hit list deer dead and rotting. Appears he was rifle shot from the road and ran into the CRP fields to die. We have 2 years of pictures of this deer. He's very unique, just a cool deer. I've seen him twice from the stand this year and had him at 35yds once with no ethical shot.

powerbelly
Mathguy64
AG
Poachers.
Chickenhawk
Christ, sean. This season has just been one big kick in the nards for you.
AgsMnn
AG
Knucklesammich said:

Rut is on in Coleman County...just put a rpund into a nice 8 or 9 pt

He ran a bit so giving him some time ...a bit nervous as my rifle fell out of the case yesterday on the scope and hoping I didn't knock it off.

I would have shot it twice to see if it was still close.
ursusguy
AG
This is why you should periodically try out different grass and shrubs. Makes life a lot a lot easier when things get desperate.
Chickenhawk
ursusguy said:

This is why you should periodically try out different grass and shrubs. Makes life a lot a lot easier when things get desperate.

Nah. This is one of the perks of hunting 5-10 mins from home. No roughing it for me.
Chickenhawk
Last two hours of daylight. I need more freezer meat.

I don't know how many more times I can let that spike walk...
big ben
AG
Spent three days morning and evening hunting 15 min east of groesbeck, between three of us we saw not a single deer or hog. Is it the weather? This is the first trip where we saw nothing, we planted oats, acorns were abundant, three ponds, and we corn feed twice a day.
Sean98
AG
Sounds like you have food available 24/7. That is very good for the deer. But sometimes bad for the "I sit in a blind and hope a deer comes to me" style of hunting. If they have acorns in thick cover and oats at night, why do they need to come out into the open to eat corn?
big ben
AG
Valid, any recommendations? Stop corn feeding?
htxag09
AG
Go where the food is (aka acorns), find game trails, etc. we've done it all and they are still only coming out at night. We have half a dozen cameras out (not just at feeders) and essentially zero pictures of deer during the day. Have had at least two hunters out every weekend since the first weekend of October and seen only squirrels and birds. Think I'm completely done with east Texas hunting....
Mathguy64
AG
It's a rough year. Acorns are beyond plentiful and the cover is very thick. I'm not seeing any tracks at feeders at all and almost nothing on the dirt roads around the property. The one doe I saw spooked on me in 15 seconds of coming out of the trees. No one on our property had taken a deer of any kind and only a couple of hogs. There are deer showing up on cameras but they are very infrequent and all at night.
Knucklesammich
It's a funky year here. Still haven't found the deer I shot this morning. Hair and bits of meat where he was standing and then zero blood.

Set a camera at my spot 3 weeks ago and his first appearance was this morning.

We had a group of 3 first set of horn bucks coming to our back feeder as late as November 15th

They're rutting now but really just started. Buck I shot this AM was running pretty good.

8 I saw yesterday and let walk as he needs another year was running a bit too.

LRHF
AG
76 F near Victoria, Tx. Killed about 100 wasps in travel trailer. Put out 50 lb sx of corn at a spot without a feeder then pulled camera, was covered in big as? Spiders. Walking to stand, saw a 5' rattlesnake sprawled out across road, never rattled. (Lots of tall grass, lucky to see him, was about 5' away). Was in a hurry to get to stand before 3:30 feeder went off. Spooked a young 10 point easing into my stand! Wind is a little inconsistent, what next, 300 lb hog going to jump me on way out! Only one buck can turn this day around... stay safe out there, slow down and remember this is supposed to be fun!
Chickenhawk
Thwack!!! Complete pass through!
phdag
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Thwack!!! Complete pass through!

Congrats!!
giddings_ag_06
AG
Well I'm kind of in the stand this evening. Saw a nice young buck earlier. Waiting out the hogs now with the girlfriend and beer.

AgsMnn
AG
What does everyone use for posting pictures?
giddings_ag_06
AG
Imgur on my phone. Upload a pic from your photos then use the BBcode option. Paste it in the message and post it and boom goes the dynamite.
Chickenhawk
Sorry took so long to post. Had to get him quartered, deboned, and iced.

Anyway, his rack isn't anything worth bragging about, but I wasn't holding out for a shooter. I needed meat!

I guess I find myself in a cycle...first one of the season is just to get meat, then I hold out for a shooter until I start running low on meat, so I take another freezer.

Wish I could post some of the monsters you guys have, but at the same time, I take what I can get.

Fwiw, this was my first mechanical head...I'd been itching to use my rage hypos. Complete pass through, the arrow buried itself broadhead deep into the tree on the other side of him. Went 30 yards and piled up, left a bloodtrail ray Charles could follow.
AgsMnn
AG
Are those just bloody leaves ? Trying to figure out which one is the exit wound.
Chickenhawk
Yeah, just bloody leaves that stuck to him.

That is the entrance. Exit was about the same.
Sean98
AG
big ben said:

Valid, any recommendations? Stop corn feeding?
No. But what you are trying to do is force the deer to come to you. Probably out in the open where they naturally don't want to be. ...that works sometimes when food is scarce but not in a year like this. You have to go to them.
AgsMnn
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Yeah, just bloody leaves that stuck to him.

That is the entrance. Exit was about the same.

Ok good deal. Saw that and was curious if you shot him with buck shot.
Chickenhawk
Nope, no shotgun. Stick and string.
DimeBox17
AG
I hunt in that general area as well. What county road are you closest to?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What color was the hair? White? Brown?

Did you find him?
Lungblood
Welcome to the party pal!
Chickenhawk
Fashionably late.
AgsMnn
AG
So let's try this.

What is a close score for this guy?

Watchful Ag
AG
South of 200

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.