Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,971 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
October lull.
Chickenhawk
It has been real slow since I shot that buck 2 weeks ago. And now, sitting in the blind, I hear the gunshots from the rifle hunters. I'm hoping my plan of hunting a "sanctuary" comes to fruition. Winter greens are coming in fine in my little 1/4 acre plot....despite having to bring in water 7 gallons at a time to water with a hand sprayer. Some rain would be much appreciated.
Sean98
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

It has been real slow since I shot that buck 2 weeks ago. And now, sitting in the blind, I hear the gunshots from the rifle hunters. I'm hoping my plan of hunting a "sanctuary" comes to fruition. Winter greens are coming in fine in my little 1/4 acre plot....despite having to bring in water 7 gallons at a time to water with a hand sprayer. Some rain would be much appreciated.
Hmmm... let's see. An acre foot is 325,851 gallons, so an acre inch is ~27,154 gallons. You've got a quarter acre so lets divide that by 4. Lets round down and say 6750 gallons. It would take 6750 gallons to equate to an inch of rain on your 1/4 acre plot. 7 gallons is 0.00103" spread over 1/4 acre. That means 97 trips to equal one tenth of an inch over your plot.

7 gallons wouldn't even equate to a "trace" of rain. I applaud your effort, but you are hauling a LOT of 7 gallon trips if you are making a noticeable difference.
Chickenhawk
Well, damn. I didnt run the math. I have just been putting enough water out to get it wet. Granted, by the time I am done with the last section, it is already dry where I started.

I will say this, I had absolutely no intention of maintaining an inch a week. All I hoped was between the heavy morning dew and the little bit of water I was putting out, was that I could keep the greens alive.

But damn, just damn. I had no idea it was that much work for that little result.

Now, having said all this...is it better to err on the side of caution, and keep busting my ass, or should I stop since I'm barely giving them any water at all? There is still no rain for the immediate future.
Chickenhawk
I didnt mean for it to sound like I'm only hauling 7 gallons a trip, though. I have 5 seven gallon jugs I'm toting at a time. I park the truck as close as I can, then 2 by 2 by 1 + sprayer I walk them in to the woods.
Watchful Ag
AG
Controlled burn seems like the only option here.
Sean98
AG
My buddy from Colorado flew in at 1 am this morning, is on stand while I'm at work. First 12 minutes in the stand he gets a crack at a mid 140s. From the way he is text describing it (he's clearly a wreck) I'm betting he missed. If his description is accurate it's the same exact deer in the same exact spot I watched my buddy skip one off his back 3 weeks ago.
AggieChemist
AG
Heh. You'll see him in 2017. You don't get three cracks at a deer like that.
Sean98
AG
Now that he has calmed down and described it, I am 100% sure he missed and I'm 98% sure it was this deer.

unearth222
AG
bummer. That was my favorite buck from your first set of pics. A very nice mature buck. Hopefully he can rebound and knock one down later this weekend.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I plan on being in the stand at 3pm if work doesnt kill me first.
GatorAg03
AG
Wow, that's a huge deer. I feel for your buddy. Especially stinks that it happened so fast and now he has all weekend to kick himself. Hopefully he gets another shot. I've never seen a deer like that while in the stand. Even that experience is amazing even if he didn't make the shot.
AggieChemist
AG
51 degrees and breezy in west by god. Hoping to THWACK a doe.
Chickenhawk
Damn sean, tough break for your friend.

Well, in the blind. Here's to hope. Im hoping that one of the mature does I have on camera would walk by...or maybe the 10 pointer that was hanging around the other afternoon.
AggieChemist
AG
Just saw first chasing behavior of the year. She's not having any of it, yet!
Chickenhawk
Alright alright alright.
Sean98
AG
unearth222 said:

bummer. That was my favorite buck from your first set of pics. A very nice mature buck. Hopefully he can rebound and knock one down later this weekend.
Mine too. Guess it wasn't a clean miss because they've found some blood but no deer yet (they backed out until 3pm). I can only hope it's a flesh wound or I get a dead deer text soon.
AggieChemist
AG
Sean98 said:

unearth222 said:

Mine too. Guess it wasn't a clean miss because they've found some blood but no deer yet (they backed out until 3pm). I can only hope it's a flesh wound or I get a dead deer text soon.

Not good.
Chickenhawk
Sean98 said:

unearth222 said:

Sean98
AG
AggieChemist said:

Sean98 said:

unearth222 said:

Not good.
Non-Kansas guys get all bejiggity when a mature Kansas buck is in front of them. This guys is from Golden, CO so he has NO whitetails. So when a dude like that shows up.... well, calm and focused he was not.

He's in a VERY tall tree. I'm guessing I'm just lucky he didn't fall out of the tree when that buck showed up (although he is wearing a harness).
Sean98
AG
In other news, another friend told me he heard grunting and chasing this morning but that he was disappointed that it was only a little buck...

This happens every year at this time and I'm amazed by my friend's reaction. he's an experienced hunter so how does he not know this!??

8pm - Freshmen arrive at the bar horny and dumb.

10pm - Ladies arrive at the bar - promptly drink free beverages and fend off advances from dumb, horny freshmen.

11pm - Juniors & Seniors show up, take up key observation positions and watch the underclassmen get shot down while the ladies continue to drink.

Midnight - horniest Upperclassman pounces on the really drunk chick. Maybe not the prettiest, but she's good to go.

1am - ALL the upperclassmen make their move scooping up the prettiest, sexiest, most desirable ladies.

1:10am - in all the furor of the 1am sex massacre a few smart/eager underclassmen scavenge a few of the drunk friends of the hot girls that were gobbled up by the upperclassmen.

1:50am - Handful of Seniors have already drilled and ditched, so they come back to pick up the scraps as Good Night Irene begins to blare through raspy speakers.

Now replace 8pm, 11pm, Midnight, 1am and 1:10am with Oct 25, Oct 31, Nov 3, Nov 8-15, and Nov 24 and you have a clear picture of the whitetail rut in Kansas.
Chickenhawk
Nothing, nada, zilch. Where the hell did they all go? Did I get spoiled early season by seeing some every time I went out???
aggie_wes
AG
Looking for some hogs in Young County as we speak.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Nada in Polk Co. I'M at the riverbottom and it's dead still. I hear some guys bow fishing for gar and seem to be doing well.
Sean98
AG
No luck on the deer. I'm thinking it was a low hit. Bled a lot for a couple hundred yards, then just dried up. Sounds like after his first 100 yard dash he just sort of chilled out, then walked away into the woods.

It's safe to say my buddy is sick to his stomach right now.
AggieChemist
AG
Day breaking. Mid 30s.
aggie_wes
AG
Back at it in Young County. We'll see what the day brings.
Chickenhawk
Sean98 said:

No luck on the deer. I'm thinking it was a low hit. Bled a lot for a couple hundred yards, then just dried up. Sounds like after his first 100 yard dash he just sort of chilled out, then walked away into the woods.

It's safe to say my buddy is sick to his stomach right now.

I hate that feeling. Truly one of the worst feelings you can have.
sjislepilot
AG
A smooth mid to upper 50'S in Kendall county. Looking for a trophy doe to continue the weight competition. Or a masher buck. Watching a little spike right meow.
Sean98
AG
AggieChemist said:

Day breaking. Mid 30s.
I think you meant to say SEVENTY! ****ING SEVENTY!

Had 4 feet come through in the dark. Could just make out bodies, no idea buck or doe. Got super amped 5 minutes ago by crunching leaves only to discover an opossum. Now have a few Squirrels playing grab ass behind me. I'm only about 200 yards from where that squirrel attacked me and tried to eat my brain so I assume they're related to him. I'd best stay alert.
aggie_wes
AG
Nothing but cardinals, jays, and the occasional cottontail so far. I heard a pig squeal but haven't seen them.

I have a good looking 10 point on camera that I'm hoping to come across today.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Foggy this morning in the low 60s. SAW a boboat at 745 but nothing since. I think mid day will be best time to sit.
Sean98
AG
Had a nice two year old 8 point come sprinting in from downwind at about 8:30. Weird deal but he hauled ass right to my shooting lane and then stopped. Then slowly wandered off into the CRP.
Chickenhawk
Cool this morning. Started at 52 degrees, currently 65. Will hit 80 early afternoon. Still in pre rut. Put out some wicks of doe urine.

Just squirrels and birds so far, though. Lots of shots in the distance. Hopefully they push them my way.
Sean98
AG
Judging by the shots I heard this morning it was a less than stellar duck opener as well. I'm calling it. Going to trim up 2 other stand locations and then go make breakfast burritos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.