Outdoors
Sponsored by

From the stand!

180,960 Views | 1295 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jpb1999
Chickenhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pm stand til sundown
Mathguy64
AG
Back at it. No blind. No feeder. Just a chair on top of a big ass mound of dirt left from an abandoned well site overlooking several hundred yards of surrounding tree line
Knucklesammich
Outside of Valera in Coleman county...58 degrees and overcast.

Lungblood
Saw 8 does and 3 bucks (2 newcomers) during my mid day sit... And a frisky fox chasing mice.

Back in... Coyotes cutting loose. Light, moist SE wind. Cool in the tripod.
Lungblood

Sorry so small... Taken with phone at 5 yards from tripod with no time to zoom.
Mathguy64
AG
Another dry hole
phdag
Lungblood said:

Nice Cougar.. Be safe I hear they eat horses near Dallas.
ursusguy
AG
That would be Plano or Frisco.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
giddings_ag_06
AG
Lungblood said:

It'll be real funny to hear your story tomorrow when you climb in the stand and after 20 minutes in pitch black darkness realize he's just above you in the same tree.
Chickenhawk
Welp, no harvest, but it was interesting.

Sat past sundown. Last little bit of twilight, right at last legal shooting time, this 10pt walks 5 yards from my blind. This guy only shows up on camera around 10:30pm-4am...so he turns perfectly broadside about 20 yards away. I can still make out my 20 and 30 yard pins. Let it fly, he ducks the string, arrow sails about an inch high.

So he bolts for about 50 or so yards, stops, turns around, circles the blind and goes back to the social area to hang out for about 10 mins before walking off.

I start packing up my stuff, and I hear what sounds like a deer pulling a skid. So I stop, sit down, and wait. It was actually 2 does and a kiddo. They hang out, eat some, what have you. It's now almost 7pm. I decide to try and scare them off. I open and close the zipper on the blind a few times, in quick succession. No dice. I continue to rustle with my gear, intentionally loud, still no dice.

So I ended up just exiting the blind, and they just watched me walk off. They didn't spook or anything.

If it's during daylight, they bolt for a hundred yards if they hear a mouse fart. At night, it seems like you have to walk up and slug them in the face to get them to leave.
big ben
AG
48 hrs in groesbeck, we have seen literally only a skunk and small fox, trying again in a few hours
wareagle044
Seeing what I can scare off today in Auburn AL
craig09
AG
Pike County, AR. Dad shot a fat doe last night, but I haven't seen anything. This is our last sit before we head home. Trying not to get skunked.
Chickenhawk
36*@ 7am.
wareagle044
GeorgiaAg85 said:

36*@ 7am.

About the same here
Mathguy64
AG
54* in Mont Co. calm and last chance to dance with the ladies.
Chickenhawk
Well, yeah. We are about 70 miles apart.
wareagle044
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Well, yeah. We are about 70 miles apart.

push the big ones down this way
Chickenhawk
But I need to shoot one...
Knucklesammich
Rut is on in Coleman County...just put a rpund into a nice 8 or 9 pt

He ran a bit so giving him some time ...a bit nervous as my rifle fell out of the case yesterday on the scope and hoping I didn't knock it off.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Piggy is down. #3 for the weekend with a Gobbler last night.

Lungblood
Pig killin not workin out for me. My brother keeps whackin though... Thoughts driftin to the next trip.
RockwallAg99
AG
Been a rough season in Dickens County. Too much green. Very little signs of rut so far. Wind is killing it this morning. Bout to pack up and head home.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Chickenhawk
Watched a spike for a bit...

Bubble guts started to hit right when he walked off. In my rush to get back home, I left all my gear in the blind. So I guess today will turn in to an all day hunt after I get off the comode.

I got about 2 minutes from the house and called my wife to make sure the downstairs bathroom right by the garage was vacant, since there is no way in hell I was going to be able to waddle up the stairs without dropping last night's nachos inside of my thermals.
Mathguy64
AG
And that's why you carry tp with you to the stand.
Watchful Ag
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Watched a spike for a bit...

Bubble guts started to hit right when he walked off. In my rush to get back home, I left all my gear in the blind. So I guess today will turn in to an all day hunt after I get off the comode.

I got about 2 minutes from the house and called my wife to make sure the downstairs bathroom right by the garage was vacant, since there is no way in hell I was going to be able to waddle up the stairs without dropping last night's nachos inside of my thermals.
BurrOak
AG
And even if no tp, sometimes you just gotta sacrifice a shirt sleeve or the top of a sock.
Mathguy64
AG
Or your drawers and then go commando. Or the first couple of pages of a book.
Mathguy64
AG
Skunked. Man this year blows.
dr_boogs
AG
Was able to get in the blind Friday afternoon. Shot a mature doe for the freezer yesterday morning. Passed on a 3.5 year (or thereabouts, certainly not mature) 8 point yesterday afternoon. Nothing but 6 doe and their fawns this morning. One more pm hunt today then I won't be out again until New Years.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Sean98
AG
mathguy86 said:

And that's why you carry tp with you to the stand.
Small Zip Loc of wet wipes.
Knucklesammich
Found some blood and about 75 yards from where I hit him a bloody piece of rib and no other blood which is odd...backed out and will let him lay and go back out at noon and find him. I've oddly got a pic on my game cam jumping after I shot him which is a first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.