***Official Aggies vs. 2024 MLB Draft Thread***

116,012 Views | 716 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sean98
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't expect Aschenbeck to get a waiver based on similar requests
RED AG 98
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

trouble said:

I think all 3 were for JC. Schott went to JC before Columbia.
Aschenbeck and Chestnut were for JC exemptions. Schott was for the Ivy League 2021 season when the Ivy League decided to mask up and not play for another year; I believe he was a red shirt in JC. Appel apparently did not apply for his.
Thanks Ackar. Perfectly summed up.
RED AG 98
AG

RED AG 98
AG
Not a coincidence at all that more and more kids are choosing college. The shortened draft, the continued improvement of the college game, and the reduction of MiLB spots/teams. Not to mention the quality of life at many schools versus low-level pro-ball. Love to see it.
Randy Rhodes
Anyone have a summary of how the draft went for A&M?

Whos gone and who likely stays? Also the recruiting class?
RED AG 98
AG
OP on page juan is a pretty good summary
RED AG 98
AG
also good thing we are saving Evan for 2026. He was used too much last year imo.
Schrute Farms
It seems like a no brainer for a kid to play in the SEC with NIL. You play against the best competition, get a fan base that loves you, and make money while doing it.
Randy Rhodes
Even if everyone signs it looks like the Ags didn't get hurt by the draft to much

We are gonna have almost a full recruiting class make it to campus
themissinglink
AG
For those asking about the extra year waiver, here is what I found...
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/d1/2021D1SAR_Covid19SOCExtensionEligibility.pdf

The year in question is Spring 2021.

Schott's waiver should be a slam dunk because the Ivy league canceled the season.

If we go through the criteria for Aschenbeck, it's more difficult to get there. All of the following have to be "Yes"

1) Institution or conference canceled or suspended season due to COVID-19; - Yes. Blinn had 7 games cancelled/suspended because of COVID Blinn schedule
2) Student Athlete used season - Yes. Evan pitched and used a season of eligibility.
3) Student Athlete did not compete in more than 30% of maximum permissible contests/dates of competition; - Yes. Evan pitched in 9 games. (2021 Blinn stats - Evan was #23 I think) The maximum allowable is 17. This may be cheating because he's a pitcher, but that's how I understand the rule as written.
4) Student Athlete was eligible for competition; - Yes as far as I can tell
5) Student Athlete and team end competition by selection date for NCAA championship and do not compete in postseason competition - No??? Blinn's season ended May 8 in the Region XIV North tournament. Evan threw 8.0 IP 0 R in a game they won. My understanding is this is the JUCO equivalent to a regional. Maybe there is a technicality I'm missing as the table appears to be more directed toward NCAA student athletes.
Aggie1205
AG
I vote this thread becomes the signing tracker thread.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

I vote this thread becomes the signing tracker thread.

It will. I add those to the op as I find them. You can see what I did in the previous versions of the thread in the links at the bottom of the op.
Sean98
AG
That means 135 teams had no one drafted
Sean98
AG
Here's a list of portal players that were drafted on day 3.

DallasAg10
AG
Great stuff Ackar, thanks for keeping OP so organized and updated.
Sean98
AG
I know this isn't Aggie related, but have been talking to some of the Royals front office team about Cags and then came across this video on Twitter.

powerbelly
AG
Who thought that?
Sea Pony 07
AG
powerbelly said:

Who thought that?

People that didn't watch SEC baseball this year?
Agmaniacmike12
This was easily one of the best baseball drafts for college players, so many studs. But I have a tough time believing that there are 5 better players than Cags. He hits for contact and power. Walks a ton, rarely strikes out. Possesses a huge frame but can get down the 1st base line in a hurry. Already has Gold Glove caliber defense at 1st.

Some of the guys that went ahead of him were very productive, but they weren't carrying their teams like Cags did. He continued to produce when the lights shined brightest, clearly a winner. Royals have to be thrilled with the way things fell for them.
The Marksman
AG
Agmaniacmike12 said:

This was easily one of the best baseball drafts for college players, so many studs. But I have a tough time believing that there are 5 better players than Cags. He hits for contact and power. Walks a ton, rarely strikes out. Possesses a huge frame but can get down the 1st base line in a hurry. Already has Gold Glove caliber defense at 1st.

Some of the guys that went ahead of him were very productive, but they weren't carrying their teams like Cags did. He continued to produce when the lights shined brightest, clearly a winner. Royals have to be thrilled with the way things fell for them.
If I'm playing devel's advocate, the reason Cag fell is likely because of his 44% chase rate on pitches outside of the zone. That's something that can be corrected, but it's an ugly stat.
Mr.Ackar07
Our dearest friend Spider Tack Mracna signed as a free agent with the Toronto Blue Jays
The Marksman
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Our dearest friend Spider Tack Mracna signed as a free agent with the Toronto Blue Jays

Hope he busts big-time
DatTallArchitect
AG
When is the deadline for players to sign or decline?
Mr.Ackar07
DatTallArchitect said:

August 1st at 4pm Central
DatTallArchitect
AG
Appreciate it
DallasAg 94
The Marksman said:

Agmaniacmike12 said:

If I'm playing devel's advocate, the reason Cag fell is likely because of his 44% chase rate on pitches outside of the zone. That's something that can be corrected, but it's an ugly stat.
The rational for chase rate was that he wasn't getting much to swing at because teams pitched around him.

When it comes to players from the DR, there was a saying, "You won't get off the island by walking." Players from the DR knew hitting HRs would get more attention than a 100% OBP from Walks.

IMO, the discipline will come now that he isn't trying to get drafted.

Another point... watch what players ahead of him sign for compared to Slot. At least 1 player was drafted ahead of him because he would sign for less than Slot which allows the team to direct that money to another player.

Cincy and Oak... maybe even CWS might have talked to players/agents to see what they would sign for. A lower signing allows them to entice players to sign instead of returning/going to college.
BostonAg74
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Check out his ERA after he got busted:

https://georgiadogs.com/sports/baseball/roster/christian-mracna/8040
ensign_beedrill
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

Let's hope our guys hear the decision on their waivers before then.
DallasAg10
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

Let's hope our guys hear the decision on their waivers before then.
Lets hope we do too. Another lights out pitching season for him with most of the old crew still in place would likely increase his draft stock next draft.
themissinglink
AG
Congrats to Prince Ali
jkag89
Charlie 31
AG
Good luck with your pro career, Ali! We will miss seeing you play on Olsen Field in Blue Bell Park, but are excited for you as you begin your professional career on the diamond with the A's organization.
God Bless, Godspeed, and Gig 'em!!!
Sea Pony 07
AG
Congratulations and good luck in the pros!
greg.w.h
AG
Take your hard work to Oakland!!! Earn a great second contract, Ali!
trouble
AG
Eldridge Armstrong III signs with the Mets

https://instagr.am/p/C9sdQeFyID7

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.