will we make the tournament?

34,281 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aginlakeway
nereus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I don't really understand the regional process. If you win the SEC tournament, is it an automatic bid? Or does your season stats still affect whether you get in?
If you win the SEC tournament, you have an automatic bid, but your season stats will affect your seeding in the tournament.
twk
AG

I don't really understand the regional process. If you win the SEC tournament, is it an automatic bid? Or does your season stats still affect whether you get in?
The SEC gets one auto bid, and that's the tournament winner. Theoretically, it's possible for a team that would not get an at large bid to win the tournament and the SEC's automatic entry into the tournament, but I don't know if that has ever happened. Maybe if you go way back in time.

However, it happens regularly in other conferences.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thanks to both.
ensign_beedrill
AG

If you win the SEC Tournament, it is an automatic bid.

For the SEC, it doesn't matter a whole lot, since SEC will get multiple at-large bids. The only way it matters is if a team wouldn't otherwise have gotten into the NCAA Tournament wins the SEC Tournament. Some conferences will only be able to send one team to the NCAA Tournament, and for those conferences, it really matters who wins the conference tournament because that's the team that gets to go.

There are 30 automatic qualifiers. The rest of the 34 teams are selected by the committee based on various metrics. There are 16 Regionals with four teams each. Each team in a regional is assigned a seed 1-4. The top 16 teams in the eyes of the committee get to host those regionals and are 1-seeds. The next 16 best teams are 2-seeds, the next are 3-seeds, and the bottom teams are 4-seeds. The committee uses several criteria to determine which teams get sent to which regionals, but the biggest factor is usually distance to the host site (but they also will not put two teams from the same conference in a single Regional).

On the first day in each Regional, the 1-seed plays the 4-seed and the 2-seed plays the 3-seed. The tournament then proceeds in double elimination format until each Regional produces a champion.
Hornbeck
AG
Warren Nolan has our live RPI @ 24, D1 Baseball has us ranked 25. We just knocked off Stanford, ranked #6 by D1.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/d1baseballcom-top-25

tu RPI is 23. Not ranked in that poll.
I think it's a toss up deciding who hosts the Super, if we both win.
t - cam
AG
Hornbeck said:

Warren Nolan has our live RPI @ 24, D1 Baseball has us ranked 25. We just knocked off Stanford, ranked #6 by D1.

we have to win it first. Might help for tu to absorb a loss.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Hornbeck said:

If it's A&M vs. Texas in anything, do you really think logic and reason will come into play? If we manage to win it in California, get ready to pack your bags for Miami or Austin. Period.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jkag89
Luke The Drifter said:

Hornbeck said:

If it's A&M vs. Texas in anything, do you really think logic and reason will come into play? If we manage to win it in California, get ready to pack your bags for Miami or Austin. Period.
Deggs will guide ULaLa through the losers bracket! (one can dream)
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Hornbeck said:

I'm pulling for Miami. I'd rather make the trip there, than to Austin.
CapCityAg89
AG
Has nothing to do with RPI. It's a bid comparison. DF has about 600 more seats capacity but the key is guaranteed ticket sales. Those bids were submitted a couple weeks ago. And NCAA is 100% about the money.
nortex97
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Has nothing to do with RPI. It's a bid comparison. DF has about 600 more seats capacity but the key is guaranteed ticket sales. Those bids were submitted a couple weeks ago. And NCAA is 100% about the money.
Interesting, thx. Wouldn't the Ags have more 'guaranteed' fans/ticket sales?
twk
AG
nortex97 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Interesting, thx. Wouldn't the Ags have more 'guaranteed' fans/ticket sales?
Why would you think so? They got a few more seats than we have, and I'm sure they charge as much for tickets as we do (everything is expensive in Austin). They don't have any trouble selling tickets, and usually are slightly ahead of us on average attendance.
CapCityAg89
AG
Yea. I think the question is the berm. Plus guaranteed sales don't have to be actual sales - just a check to the ncaa.
aginlakeway
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Yep. It's that simple. No grand conspiracy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.