***Official Childress or No Childress Thread***

22,635 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

Quote:

I just think you're asking a lot of a new AD to fire a guy first day on the job. You can't wait much past July can you?

Many people think that, but this situation is his job. What's really different about doing it this year instead of next or a few later?

But if we're to believe the rumors about Woodward, he won't have that much autonomy anyway. There are probably other people that have to give the signal to make a move in the first place.

If he were on the job right now, I think you'd have a point. But, he doesn't start until July 1, and that is a little later than you would normally expect a change to be made. Would he give the order and force RC to be the trigger man?

The one thing that really does point to this being a decision time is Rob's contract status. It would be highly unusual to see a coach go into the final year of his contract with no extension. I don't think RC will be handing one out before Bjork arrives.
BQ_90
AG
Jevertson said:

Pay a top notch hitting coach and let Childress continue to develop strong pitching. We've had a few teams good enough to win it all in his tenure; this wasn't one of them due I believe to hitting coaches not developing our hitters, especially picking up good off speed pitching.

P.S. too much bunting
Who would take the job with HC on the hot seat?
Jock 07
AG
BQ_90 said:

Lance Uppercut said:

Reposted:

Still think that was the last Childress coached baseball game at A&M. The results, the overall performance of the offense this year, and the timing on his contract all line up. If you play along as AD, the last time they might have made a change is 2014. And we changed the coordinator of the offense instead, so that card has been played. You weren't going to get a change after 2015 or 2016, or in 2017 after making a CWS.

And now A&M has more athletic department income thanks to the SEC. Childress was hired at a point where the AD was taking out loans. If they don't make a change here, I would think it signals pretty glaringly that we aren't football+basketball+baseball rich, or is commentary on the status of baseball's importance to the athletic department.

He would be fired if Woodward was still AD, I just think you're asking a lot of anew AD to fire a guy first day on the job. You can't wait much past July can you?

I guess if Sharp or Young are big baseball fans you might get movement to can him now, but not sure they care

I wonder if Woodward already made the hire in principle before he left and we made sure we had a permanent AD to announce said hire before the end of the season, whenever that may have happened.
AnScAggie
AG
Childress needs to go. He has tremendous ability to identify talent on the mound and almost no ability on the other hand to identify hitters. Too long of a tenure with many MLB talented arms to have only two trips to Omaha and zero wins in Nebraska.
BQ_90
AG
So the new AD would have to be on hook for a hire made by the old AD? I guess if it's the Ole Miss coach. But that's asking for a lot of moving pieces to fall in place
Olsen
AG
Childress is staying. It's too bad that Woodward couldn't stay in Aggieland longer to make changes in Baseball and Softball. We will never know what changes he would've made if he stayed.
94chem
94chem
Jeff Granger had our last win in Omaha. Bye-bye.
phatty26
Can him
CoolAggie
AG
RC needs to go but I don't believe it will happen any time soon. If Woodward was still around, we would be looking for baseball/softball skippers this summer. Not enough pissed off donors to make a change just yet.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

If he were on the job right now, I think you'd have a point. But, he doesn't start until July 1

College baseball season runs through the 26th of June. Texas hired Pierce on June 29th. You might be interviewing people that are still coaching baseball

The timing is a hindrance, but I'm not sure how it would completely derail the idea if you had interest in it.
winagswin90
phatty26
Mark Johnson could choke worse than rob though!
93 with 3 lefty first rounders
APHIS AG
Jimbo ended the football 'tradition" of starting the season like a lion and ending it like a lamb.

Time to end baseballs "tradition" of doing the same thing.
monarch
S
We are stuck in a rut friends; we are a good, competitive program, but we are stuck in a rut; if you are OK with what happens year after year, dont b***h...otherwise we need to do something different.
Peace for Ukraine!
carl spacklers hat
Who do you hire to replace Childress?

If you can't find an upgrade as a replacement, then you have to make a move on the offensive side. Everyone acknowledges RC's ability to coach pitchers, he just doesn't have anyone who can develop hitters. One thing seems to be common with the teams that are moving on - they can put up runs.
winagswin90
AG
You all should really read article 1. Ag since 86, season ticket holder since 99, and given over 40k to 12th man. Feel free to delete my account. I said nothing wrong. Worse than Facebook
Tex100
AG
That is the AD's job to find the guy.
W
AG
after 14 seasons a coaching change should definitely be made.

but I'm not sure if the "search apparatus" is in place
Muy
AG
Don't be afraid of change, Ags. We are a premier program in THE premier conference. Ags can be very selective with the line of resumes we'd get.
Beechcraft AG 91
AG
14 years. Other coaches in ATM sports have had success and much less rope. We are way beyond when the change should have been made. We have a great program waiting to happen. A possible juggernaut!! Got to grow a pair and make the move

This is an easy call
BeechcraftAG 91
Texags Meltdown
AG
Time for a change
W
AG
what's funny...Mississippi State has had 4 head coaches in the last 4 seasons. The results?

2016...super-regional
2017...super-regional
2018...Omaha
2019...probably going to Omaha again

so much for "needed stability"
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

And now A&M has more athletic department income thanks to the SEC. Childress was hired at a point where the AD was taking out loans. If they don't make a change here, I would think it signals pretty glaringly that we aren't football+basketball+baseball rich, or is commentary on the status of baseball's importance to the athletic department.
We have to remember that 13 other schools have SEC money too. And thanks to the crazy football contracts, every P5 school has more money for secondary sports than they did 10 or 20 years ago. I don't follow college baseball as closely anymore as you or TWK (or several other posters on this board), so I don't have any bright ideas. But I've seen discussion on other sports boards about some changes in the college baseball landscape, simply because it's become a far more competitive environment to stand out as a school that emphasizes baseball. Some smaller schools that were always considered traditional baseball schools are now struggling to keep up with the changing environment.

I realize I'm getting a little off-track from the Childress debate, just throwing out my two cents that the coaching decision isn't an easy question of institutional commitment, but whether a better alternative is available at the right time and if the powers-that-be feel like handling a search right now. I don't have a clue about either of those.
BQ_90
AG
One thing I'll add is even though many are mad and want RC gone, it hasn't impacted season tickets sales and for the most part attendance. So in a money neutral sport there isn't the pressure like a true revenue making sport
Beau Holder
AG
No longer care one way or the other.
technoviking
AG
RodgerDodger said:

You all are giving Woodward credit without any results. Big deal Jimbo finished 17 in the nation. Buzz hasn't won a game yet. Women's golf had a horrible finish and she is being paying crazy money. Women's volleyball had a horrible year. How about some results first before Woodward deserves any credit for anything. Those are his four hires and none of those coaches have proven anything yet. Nada! Nothing! If the aggies don't have a miracle win against LSU it's a 7-5 season.

But we did beat LSU, so this last part of your troll undoes it.
TAL06RES
AG
BQ_90 said:

Jevertson said:

Pay a top notch hitting coach and let Childress continue to develop strong pitching. We've had a few teams good enough to win it all in his tenure; this wasn't one of them due I believe to hitting coaches not developing our hitters, especially picking up good off speed pitching.

P.S. too much bunting
Who would take the job with HC on the hot seat?

I get the sentiment, but baseball coaching is vastly different than football. A coach could come for a single season and, assuming things didn't work out, get a HC job at a mid-major or make a lateral move.

I don't think getting someone to take the job will be an issue. I think the real issue is getting the job open in the first place. And that IS a problem.
Wicked Good Ag
If you fire RC who do you want?? Who do you think you can get??

Forget the argument the AD makes that call because you got a brand new AD who has not vetted the program

I wanna hear who we think we can get from people

I am on the fence honestly because this years team hit for crap and we still were in a hosting discussion and our metrics were good based upon previous committee decisions
I also think if someone had told me we averaged 7 runs per game in a regional with our pitching we would have won the regional
Lance Uppercut
AG
Could be, but a lot of college baseball hires were guys who weren't already established big names in the sport.

Savage at UCLA only had a few years at Irvine before going there.
O'Connor at Virginia was an assistant at the time of his hiring
O'Sullivan at Florida was an assistant
Pat Casey was an NAIA coach
Corbin at Vanderbilt was an assistant
The coach at Coastal Carolina was at a DII school

That covers the last 6 national champions. Maybe that helps in you in not having to break the bank to make a change, and helps with the timing issue. Though I think the AD would feel more pressure making that kind of move over someone who had some D1 experience
_mpaul
AG
W said:

what's funny...Mississippi State has had 4 head coaches in the last 4 seasons. The results?

2016...super-regional
2017...super-regional
2018...Omaha
2019...probably going to Omaha again

so much for "needed stability"

Wow. That is interesting.
valvemonkey91
AG
14yrs is long enough to not have a single CWS win. Time to move on from the RC experiment.
Ags77
AG
State has had a good program for a LONG time.
Gigem
W
AG
Mississippi State hired the Indiana head coach. He was also a long-time assistant at Louisville.

but that's the search apparatus I refer to. Is there a list of names already in the works?

like Byrne used to always say he had in his desk
aggietony2010
AG
BQ_90 said:

One thing I'll add is even though many are mad and want RC gone, it hasn't impacted season tickets sales and for the most part attendance. So in a money neutral sport there isn't the pressure like a true revenue making sport

Fair point, but I'd argue that's more a function of our stadium having only 5k actual seats. You'd be a fool to release a reserved season ticket. There's a waiting list to snatch them up. If we had built capacity to SEC demand or sightly over, I'm we'd see some fluctuation. As it is, though, our demand data is truncated at capacity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.