***Official Childress or No Childress Thread***

22,520 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BoozingAg
Stumpknocker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We need a coach with different initials.
Tamu_mgm
AG
After watching scoreless inning after scoreless inning, it's clear Rob and his coaches do not know how to coach the damn fundamentals of hitting. Time for a change.
MaroonStain
AG
IHIOGA, Childress is going to sign an extension and will be here for a while.

Trying to reverse psych this process.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
hunter2012
AG
powerbelly said:

No assistant worth their salt will come under those circumstances

Why not? Is the concern with a lame duck Head Coach or the that he wouldn't get along with Childress? A coveted batting assistant wouldn't worry about the HC job & I think Childress could get along with anyone in the game. I think the better directive would be to let Childress hire the Offensive Coach but direct him to hire someone outside his Nebraska tree. He knows that's his last hire so he'd better make a Chavis type coup and get a great batting coach.

I appear to be more on the fence than most here, and I will say Childress would have to pull a rabbit out from somewhere to make up for Shew being drafted. Short of a major injury bug I'll say it's Omaha or bust next season.

Like I said before though if he's fired this year I won't cry. We can do better though we can definitely do alot worse as well. So we need to aim for a top 5 hire due to the expectations we set for Childress. Ironically his first hire could end up being Bjork's biggest hire assuming Buzz and Jimbo work out.
powerbelly
AG
hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

Why not? Is the concern with a lame duck Head Coach or the that he wouldn't get along with Childress? A coveted batting assistant wouldn't worry about the HC job & I think Childress could get along with anyone in the game. I think the better directive would be to let Childress hire the Offensive Coach but direct him to hire someone outside his Nebraska tree. He knows that's his last hire so he'd better make a Chavis type coup and get a great batting coach.

I appear to be more on the fence than most here, and I will say Childress would have to pull a rabbit out from somewhere to make up for Shew being drafted. Short of a major injury bug I'll say it's Omaha or bust next season.

Like I said before though if he's fired this year I won't cry. We can do better though we can definitely do alot worse as well. So we need to aim for a top 5 hire due to the expectations we set for Childress. Ironically his first hire could end up being Bjork's biggest hire assuming Buzz and Jimbo work out.
Yes, an elite hitting coach won't want to move his family for one year under a lame duck head coach.
histag10
AG
Stumpknocker said:

We need a coach with different initials.

Rob is the first baseball coach I can think of with the initials of RC. Unless you are confusing football with baseball, then I get it.

O'Doyle Rules
AG
BQ_90 said:

One thing I'll add is even though many are mad and want RC gone, it hasn't impacted season tickets sales and for the most part attendance. So in a money neutral sport there isn't the pressure like a true revenue making sport

Ags are loyal to a fault at times
hunter2012
AG
powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

Yes, an elite hitting coach won't want to move his family for one year under a lame duck head coach.
Elite hitting would have us as the front runner for Omaha this year. That coach could see that average hitting would even have us as a national seed next year. I would think an Elite Coach would relish the chance to coach with one of the best pitching staffs in the country.
TAL06RES
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

BQ_90 said:

One thing I'll add is even though many are mad and want RC gone, it hasn't impacted season tickets sales and for the most part attendance. So in a money neutral sport there isn't the pressure like a true revenue making sport

For buying season tickets?
powerbelly
AG
hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

Elite hitting would have us as the front runner for Omaha this year. That coach could see that average hitting would even have us as a national seed next year. I would think an Elite Coach would relish the chance to coach with one of the best pitching staffs in the country.
You are assuming that our hitting problem is all coaching. That is a huge assumption.
AggieBand2004
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

BQ_90 said:

God forbid we support our teams and enjoy outstanding places like Olsen Field.

People aren't buying season tickets because of a head coach
aggietony2010
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

BQ_90 said:

You actually can't draw this conclusion from the data given. There's a waiting list of decent size for season tickets. Say the season ticket demand over the last 5 years is 6500, 6700, 6400, 6000, 5700. Interest and demand can drop, but what we see for all 5 years is "Blue Bell Park sells out of 5000 season tickets"
twk
AG
powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

There are exceptions, but most of the guys that would be under consideration for this position would be guys hoping to become head coaches shortly. Most are not looking to spend a decade in the same job.

The question that they ask themselves is, will this move get me closer to my ultimate goal? To answer that, one would have to know what the true conditions are, by answering questions like:

Is the talent coming back as lacking as the results indicate? Will he be given the discretion to not renew some of these scholarships so as to free up money for new additions?

Will the guys that we have committed still come, and are they worth having?

Does he have a line on some JUCO talent that he can bring in this summer?

Will he be allowed to hire anyone else on staff?

One question that such a new hire would not have would be what's going to happen with the pitching. They would know that, if they can turn the hitting around next year, their name will be up there as someone who can bring about a quick fix, because we should have the pitching to make any halfway decent offense look pretty good.
histag10
AG
twk said:

powerbelly said:

hunter2012 said:

powerbelly said:

There are exceptions, but most of the guys that would be under consideration for this position would be guys hoping to become head coaches shortly. Most are not looking to spend a decade in the same job.

The question that they ask themselves is, will this move get me closer to my ultimate goal? To answer that, one would have to know what the true conditions are, by answering questions like:

Is the talent coming back as lacking as the results indicate? Will he be given the discretion to not renew some of these scholarships so as to free up money for new additions?

Will the guys that we have committed still come, and are they worth having?

Does he have a line on some JUCO talent that he can bring in this summer?

Will he be allowed to hire anyone else on staff?

One question that such a new hire would not have would be what's going to happen with the pitching. They would know that, if they can turn the hitting around next year, their name will be up there as someone who can bring about a quick fix, because we should have the pitching to make any halfway decent offense look pretty good.

Baseball players typically dont go to a school because of a scholarship. Most of them arent on scholarship, and if they are, they are lucky if it pays for books.
gettingitdone
Running off good talent never helps. This year's team, for the most part, got lucky to get as far as they did. Definitely time for a change.
Goro Majima
AG
mazzag said:

Thanks $bill. But rob should've never been hired to begin with. Players despise him and his record reflects that.

Edit to add: OMG he's taken us to the equivalent of a s16. OMG.
All that stuff is true but I don't really believe the players despising him.
John Dutton
AG
Keep RC... Clean house in the staff.
TAMU1990
AG
RomanAg11 said:

Agreed. It is crazy that we haven't won at least ONE game since he took over...there is also this..

Click here for the link for the 2018 Compensation Survey

Wow, compare the teams ahead of him and where they are now and how their programs are doing... our ROI is not great.

This graph is damning. No West titles. Couldn't make it to Omaha with his best team in 2016. Three straight years of not hosting a regional.

Now, the name I don't see on this graph is Butch Thompson @ Auburn. Go get him!
Captain Pablo
AG
Mooooon River said:

RC has already had many offensive coaches

He's been here 14 years

Curious .. if there's problem, why keep RC?
FTAG 2000
AG
Mooooon River said:

When do we hold him accountable for his staff hires? I mean he's been through multiple offensive coaches, nothing has changed.

Keep changing OCs but it won't matter if the HC insists on the same type of philosophy at the plate.
Aggies2009
AG
Captain Pablo said:

Mooooon River said:

RC had already had many offensive coaches

He's been here 14 years

As has been said, some of those offensive coaches (pre-2011) were pretty good. Deggs was good with hitting but was a bit aggressive on the basepaths. Dunno what caused him to leave (it wasn't lack of performance), but we haven't been the same since. Sadly things didn't line up and we didn't have any MLB-caliber pitchers during that time (other than Wacha, Stripling, and Stilson when they were younger) the way we've had since.

Since then we've had Sawyers and Bolt. Under Sawyers we were anemic on offense. Under Bolt we had 2 good years and then 3 bad ones.

I'd be willing to see if he could find another Deggs-caliber hitting coach and have our bats return to pre-2011 form. But I'd understand the sentiment of not.
annie88
AG
technoviking said:

trouble said:

I won't be shocked or upset either way.

Ditto. If it does happen, I look forward to seeing which posters will give up on that coach and when.
True.

If new coach, if they lose game one, "shoulda kept Childress"

And I agree with Trouble: I won't be shocked or upset either way.
12thMan9
AG
Take a look at the NMSU coach/staff. 5 guys in top 54 for BA.
Ronnie '88
Justice Beaver
AG
Get him out of here. Long past due.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Mooooon River said:

RC had already had many offensive coaches

He's been here 14 years

As has been said, some of those offensive coaches (pre-2011) were pretty good. Deggs was good with hitting but was a bit aggressive on the basepaths. Dunno what caused him to leave (it wasn't lack of performance), but we haven't been the same since. Sadly things didn't line up and we didn't have any MLB-caliber pitchers during that time (other than Wacha, Stripling, and Stilson when they were younger) the way we've had since.

Since then we've had Sawyers and Bolt. Under Sawyers we were anemic on offense. Under Bolt we had 2 good years and then 3 bad ones.

I'd be willing to see if he could find another Deggs-caliber hitting coach and have our bats return to pre-2011 form. But I'd understand the sentiment of not.

Wasn't Deggs struggling with alcohol issues at the time? I might be thinking of someone else
12thMan9
AG
There's a pretty good hitting coach in Houston, worked w/Lamar HS. They stroked it pretty good.

Last name is Doxakis.
Ronnie '88
_mpaul
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

RomanAg11 said:

Agreed. It is crazy that we haven't won at least ONE game since he took over...there is also this..

Click here for the link for the 2018 Compensation Survey

Wow, compare the teams ahead of him and where they are now and how their programs are doing... our ROI is not great.

This graph is damning. No West titles. Couldn't make it to Omaha with his best team in 2016. Three straight years of not hosting a regional.

Now, the name I don't see on this graph is Butch Thompson @ Auburn. Go get him!

He makes more than Van Horn? Yikes!
Wicked Good Ag
Degas is on record saying he should have been fired and it was the best for him and his life. He probably would have had a head coaching position anyway but a hitting coach change will make a huge difference
Jock 07
AG
Mooooon River said:

Cause that's worked so well over the past decade and a half
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I just think you're asking a lot of anew AD to fire a guy first day on the job. You can't wait much past July can you?

Agree. Assumptions:

1. ADs at big programs must be good inside politicians
2. They require a consensus to do anything
3. First priority is keeping the football supporters happy
---
4. Coaches like RC are the hardest to fire
5. Firing RC would be his first major decision
6. Bjork probably does not get to hire for football/hoops in the next 5-10 years

Unless we can money-whip a proven winner, the replacement is around 50/50 to be a downgrade. This decision will play a big part in whether or not Bjork gets a contract extension. He needs to find out exactly who he can hire, and whether enough bigs support the move. He would be very unwise to rush it.

He should offer RC an extension with an easy buy-out. If RC refuses, then RC makes it easier on him.

Politics and PR are unsavory, but they are reality.
FCBlitz
What a dump thread. Can you freeze and thaw it in another day. The team just won a historical type game that will be remembered for generations....I am not saying delete it but just make it invisible till we lose the last game.
Wicked Good Ag
FCBlitz said:

What a dump thread. Can you freeze and thaw it in another day. The team just won a historical type game that will be remembered for generations....I am not saying delete it but just make it invisible till we lose the last game.

Huh??
trouble
AG
FCBlitz said:

We lost the last game yesterday evening.
TXCityAggie
AG
Good guy. Above average coach. He won't get us where we should be though. It's time to make a change if they have interested elite coaches.
TAL06RES
AG
Deggs has some personal issues as others have pointed out.

But he was a damn good hitting coach. His offenses here were good. I know prior to SHSU he was the hitting coach at ULL and he had back to back teams there that could absolutely rake too. Someone of that caliber is needed here again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.