***Official Childress or No Childress Thread***

23,032 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BoozingAg
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggietony2010 said:

BQ_90 said:

One thing I'll add is even though many are mad and want RC gone, it hasn't impacted season tickets sales and for the most part attendance. So in a money neutral sport there isn't the pressure like a true revenue making sport

Fair point, but I'd argue that's more a function of our stadium having only 5k actual seats. You'd be a fool to release a reserved season ticket. There's a waiting list to snatch them up. If we had built capacity to SEC demand or sightly over, I'm we'd see some fluctuation. As it is, though, our demand data is truncated at capacity.
No doubt, but there was revenue pressure to make change in MBB. That really isn't a factor here, unless the donors are refusing to give to remodel Olsen, which you now don't hear anything about
jmcfar_98
AG
Put me in the it's time to replace him camp. It's been 13 years of watching the same things. Good pitching, bad fundamental baseball. Running into outs, not fielding and playing small ball and not hitting worth a damn. I'm tired of the same things over and over. Make the change and let's get moving forward.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Schools with CWS wins since RC took over at A&M
Clemson
North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton
Rice
Miami
Oregon State
Arizona State
UC Irvine
Louisville
Georgia
Stanford
Fresno State
LSU
Arkansas
Virginia
Sips
TCU
UCLA
Florida State
Oklahoma
South Carolina
California
Florida
Vanderbilt
Arizona
Kent State
NC State
Indiana
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Coastal Carolina
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
UC Santa Barbara
JDay
I would be in the replace Childress column.

In fact I'd like to see if the Aggies could money whip Tony Vitello.

As an assistant:

- Recruited for Missouri (his alma mater) a team that went to the super regionals
- Recruiting coordinator at TCU and brought in the talent that went to three straight CWS.
(Including Boomer White who could give some good insight into Vitello as recruiter and coach)
- Recruiting coordinator at Arkansas from 2014 to 2017. They have been pretty good with the players he recruited there.
- Was also the hitting coach at TCU and Arkansas according to his bio on the Tennessee website.
- Worked under Jim Schlossnagle and Dave VanHorn. Both have been to Omaha several times and enjoyed quite a bit of success there as well. You could also argue that he had a huge impact at TCU as they have regressed since his players have cycled out of the program. Especially on the offensive side.

As a head coach he has done a great job at Tennessee in last two years. They have had a lot of success and are trending upward. I think he would be a great hire and is young enough to be around for a long time.

Regardless of who it would be, it is definitely time for a change. This program is on a slow decline and building momentum in that direction.

fieldtrailer
AG
How can you tell a HC it's ok to leave for the weekend and then fire him. Nothing changed between then and now. I think Sharp approved him to leave (which was last straw for Woodward), and no way he can fire him now. Unless he said only If you get us to a super and I'd be surprised if he made that demand. Sharp will not let anything happen to him for at least a year. Especially if the weekend pass is part of rift with Woodward.

Captain Pablo
AG
fieldtrailer said:

How can you tell a HC it's ok to leave for the weekend and then fire him. Nothing changed between then and now. I think Sharp approved him to leave (which was last straw for Woodward), and no way he can fire him now. Unless he said only If you get us to a super and I'd be surprised if he made that demand. Sharp will not let anything happen to him for at least a year. Especially if the weekend pass is part of rift with Woodward.

I am no Sharp fan, but where are you getting this? I've never heard anything of the sort
Jock 07
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Clemson
North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton
Rice
Miami
Oregon State
Arizona State
UC Irvine
Louisville
Georgia
Stanford
Fresno State
LSU
Arkansas
Virginia
Sips
TCU
UCLA
Florida State
Oklahoma
South Carolina
California
Florida
Vanderbilt
Arizona
Kent State
NC State
Indiana
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Coastal Carolina
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
UC Santa Barbara

I regret that I have but one star to give, this really puts it into perspective
Amazing Moves
Get rid of him. He is as good as he's going to be. This athletic program should be perennial CWS contenders. His teams have regressed since 2016 instead.
Ags77
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Get rid of him. He is as good as he's going to be. This athletic program should be perennial CWS contenders. His teams have regressed since 2016 instead.

Curious, why do you think we should be perennial CWS contenders ?

And what is a perennial Cws contender ? A team in a regional ? A team in a super ?
Gigem
Captain Pablo
AG
There's no reason to wait any longer. 14 years is long enough. We know what we have

It's time for a change
trouble
AG
Straight outta his ass
BQ_90
AG
I heard Woodward was made because Rob didn't invite him to the graduation and that's why he left for LSU
Aggies2009
AG
aggietony2010 said:

trouble said:

I won't be shocked or upset either way.

That's where I am ultimately. My season tickets will be renewed and hope will spring eternal next February regardless.

Agreed with both posts.
Goro Majima
AG
I very much doubt he'll be fired this year and I'd be extremely surprised if he were (and he'd deserve it after the past two clunkers that have passed for seasons).

And it would be a welcome surprise.
RomanAg11
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

Clemson
North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton
Rice
Miami
Oregon State
Arizona State
UC Irvine
Louisville
Georgia
Stanford
Fresno State
LSU
Arkansas
Virginia
Sips
TCU
UCLA
Florida State
Oklahoma
South Carolina
California
Florida
Vanderbilt
Arizona
Kent State
NC State
Indiana
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Coastal Carolina
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
UC Santa Barbara

Wow, what a list! Sorry, coach, you need to go.
AggieBand2004
AG
fieldtrailer said:

You must be really well connected! This kind of behind the scenes stuff sounds legit!

Or completely fabricated.
Goro Majima
AG
RomanAg11 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

Clemson
North Carolina
Cal State Fullerton
Rice
Miami
Oregon State
Arizona State
UC Irvine
Louisville
Georgia
Stanford
Fresno State
LSU
Arkansas
Virginia
Sips
TCU
UCLA
Florida State
Oklahoma
South Carolina
California
Florida
Vanderbilt
Arizona
Kent State
NC State
Indiana
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Coastal Carolina
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
UC Santa Barbara

Wow, what a list! Sorry, coach, you need to go.
Ooh, that's nasty! Yes, I'd like to see him go. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he got another year but I won't be one bit sad to see him go if he gets canned.
Hey Nav
AG
Please, people. The Ags won that one game at the CWS in 1993.

What more could you expect? Powerhouse program. Quit complaining.
mazzag
AG
Thanks $bill. But rob should've never been hired to begin with. Players despise him and his record reflects that.

Edit to add: OMG he's taken us to the equivalent of a s16. OMG.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Since RC's first year, the following SEC teams have been to Omaha:

-- Georgia 2 (runner up 2008)
-- MSU 3 (runner up 2013)
-- LSU 4 (2009, runner up 2017)
-- Arkansas 4 (runner up 2018)
-- Florida 7 (runner up 2011, 2017)
-- SoCar 3 (2010, 2011, runner up 2012)
-- Vandy 3 (2014, runner up 2015)
-- Miss
(titles in bold)

We haven't been in the SEC his full tenure, of course, but during that tenure our 2 trips and no wins puts us, at best, 9th relative to the other programs we face NOW. Ole Miss won 2 games in 2014, losing 2 close games to Virginia, and was the last team eliminated in their bracket. Everyone else listed has not only been in Omaha but been in the championship series (4 of 7 twice or more). Why do all the SEC teams seem to win games once they get to Omaha except us?

So if you want to compare A&M favorably to Mizzou, Alabama, Kentucky, Auburn and Tennessee, be my guest.
sharpdressedman
It appears that RC has been meeting the expectations of the shot-callers for years. He did again this season by running a clean, competive program, being widely respected, and making the NCAA tourney.

Our athletic culture has been to continue wishin', hopin', and prayin' that under-performing coaches somehow find lasting magic. They don't, and our athletic programs and fans have to endure years of stagnation and then multi-year rebuilding efforts when changes are finally made. Perhaps Woodward was breaking the mold and re-shaping the future before he left. That will remain an open question.

I think it is reasonable to speculate that Woodward was probably contemplating replacing RC, and that he had serious "feelers" extended. If so, and he had received genuine interest from excellent candidate(s), they are very likely now waiting, watching, and evaluating the desirability of life under the new AD.

However, if the BMAs remain accepting of RC's performance, the new AD won't consider making a change. Financial support for the MBB program will always be the linchpin for coaching and facilities decisions.

Though not my preference, I anticipate RC will get an extension and a raise, one or more assistants will be replaced, and the results will remain unremarkable and disappointing for the next several years. I could be completely wrong.

JMO
swimmerbabe11
Ooh so, there have been years where I was really excited about potentially prospects of replacements of RC. I am not really that optimistic about the coaching carousel right now.

In my head..

Dan Heefner
Mike Batesole
Jim Foster

... I'm honestly struggling to think of other names. Because.. most of the guys at the big name baseball schools are very comfy.

Who do you try (within reason) to poach?
trouble
AG
Schloss, of course
Deputy Travis Junior
Childress teams are always good, occasionally very good, and never great (quibbling about definitions here, but I can't quite bump a team from "very good" to "great" in a 2-and-'cue season. IMO, it has to win at least one in Omaha to be great).

I'd can him because I think sports programs should aspire to a title and Childress is never gonna get there. That said, there's a good chance we up with somebody worse. Childress has a very high floor.
RomanAg11
AG
Agreed. It is crazy that we haven't won at least ONE game since he took over...there is also this..

Click here for the link for the 2018 Compensation Survey

Wow, compare the teams ahead of him and where they are now and how their programs are doing... our ROI is not great.

LtZogg
It's time for a change.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mark Fairchild
AG
New coach needed.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
hunter2012
AG
Keep Childress, fire the assistants and have the AD hire the new assistants. No more hires from the Nebraska tree.

Childress is a hell of a pitching coach & might be the top in college ball at getting consistent results from the mound. The other aspects need to change, but if we aren't head hunting a top coach we shouldn't waste our time. Childress keeps getting us into the postseason where consistency will eventually lead to Omaha wins so long as the offense can be taken out of his hands via hires. The frustration with Aggie baseball is we have championship caliber pitching. In the other sports' coaching changes we have nowhere near the same caliber for any aspects of their game. We do for pitching in baseball.

All this being said our Athletic Department has grown a reputation for headhunting coaches with the Jimbo/Buzz hires, and if Bjork can line up a great hire this way I won't cry if this was Childress' last year. There is a fine line between changing coaches due to higher standard not being met and the grass is greener mentality. Aggie baseball does not want Fran/Sherman/Sumlin type decades of irrelevancy.
Fins Up!
AG
It is time for Rob to go away.
TMartin
The "New Millennium" is twenty percent gone. Will it be business as usual?
powerbelly
AG
No assistant worth their salt will come under those circumstances
Maroon Dawn
AG
It's been time for awhile now

If the AD is truly saying "good but not great is too low of an expectation here" then Rob needs to go
BanderaAg956
In the real world that most of us live and work in you get a year or maybe two to be successful. Fourteen years is way past reasonable to expect the level of success required of the A&M Baseball Program.

It's time for Softball and a Baseball to get new coaches.
AggieBill005
AG
Amazing Moves said:

And a perennial CWS contender (to me) means regularly making Supers. Doesn't mean there won't be off years where we dont make it out of a regional, but a "perennial CWS contender" is a program that at the beginning of each year is already penciled in as a Super team, and in discussion to receive a national seed.

histag10
AG
For me, the question isnt "should Rob go", but rather "who should go first". Is it feasible that both Rob and Jo are let go this year? And if not, who is let go and who stays? The softball program is struggling something fierce right now, and I'd have to think replacing Jo is more of a priority than replacing Rob at this point. Maybe the funding is there to replace both right now, but if its not (or if Bjork doesnt want to replace both diamond coaches), who goes this year?

Edit to add that - Yes, I am a notorious sunshine pumper, and I have always been a Childress fan. But yes, I am saying I think his time is quickly coming to an end in Aggieland (I just dont know if it will be this year or next).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.