Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

67,561 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AlaskanAg99
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I was not a big fan of the Zaya, it wasn't as smooth as the Zacapa or Dorado
Zaya changed their distilling and aging techniques several years back and it's not nearly as good a pour as it used to be. If you find a bottle with cursive writing for the label, it's an older bottle - grab it. The more modern block lettering is newer distills and it's just not as good. Way better options for the same price.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I picked up a bottle of Plantation St. Lucia 2005. The nose to me was fruity but with an oaky bourbon-like finish. I'll have to taste it again when I'm sober.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Picked up Canasteros 21yo yesterday. Will give it a go tonight. Looks like it is a Total Wine product. Hope it is good. It was hard to pass up that K&S, but I am enjoying trying different stuff.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
First night was underwhelming. Last night it was better. Seems like opening the bottle improved it a bit. Made it much more smooth. That being said, it has a long way to go to even be in the league with Kirk and Sweeney and Zacapa.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Flor de Cana 18 is nails finished it in 2 weeks
AggieBarstool
Picked up Zacapa 23 on sale at Spec's for Father's Day only $35! So good.
schmellba99
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Picked up Zacapa 23 on sale at Spec's for Father's Day only $35! So good.
It is good. Sweet, but it was my first foray into aged rums and will always hold a place because of that.

My neighbor showed up Saturday with a Zacapa XO box in hand - as a buddy of mine put it, I have good neighbors. Will be cracking that one open on Wednesday or Thursday to sample it, but I'm looking forward to it based on what i've heard.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tried the diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, the first pour was greatt, but after that I have had to force them down
schmellba99
AG

Tried the diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, the first pour was greatt, but after that I have had to force them down
Something is wrong with your taste buds. I'd get it checked out.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
For me, it's like drinking a 99% dark chocolate bar with 2 packets of sweet n low. I am just not sure why opening it changed the taste so much. The first pour was good, and that was after a Flor De Cana pour, so I had something to compare it too.
jonj101
Been a while since I've dropped in this thread, but I have a few new suggestions that hopefully some of you may enjoy.

As discussed previously, Zaya's quality has significantly diminished over the years - to the point where I will no longer buy it, and I nurse the little I have left of the original. This weekend I discovered a decent replacement that had a taste that was somewhat reminiscent of Zaya - it is called Vizcaya Black:

https://drinkhacker.com/2016/10/06/review-vizcaya-black-rum-reserva/

At only 30 bucks or so I think its worth trying out to see if you like it. I wouldn't say it replaces Zacapa as my running favorite, but I really enjoyed it.

Another one I just recently got was Santa Teresa 1796 Solera:

https://www.oldtowntequila.com/santa-teresa-1796-solera-rum/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2amC6s-43AIVD4_ICh0SuAVwEAQYASABEgLhB_D_BwE

This one had somewhat of a slight scotch style finish to me, but was still an enjoyable sipper. It is lighter in body than Zacapa, and although it is near the same price point, I wouldn't put it at the same level as Zacapa. I think it is a good addition to my collection just to have every once in a while.
schmellba99
AG

For me, it's like drinking a 99% dark chocolate bar with 2 packets of sweet n low. I am just not sure why opening it changed the taste so much. The first pour was good, and that was after a Flor De Cana pour, so I had something to compare it too.
Interesting. Shows how different people taste different, I don't get anywhere close to that with Diplomatico.
HTownAg98
I've always thought of Diplomatico tastes like fruitcake (lots of dried fruits and nuts).
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's not dark chocolate that turns me off it's the almost fake sugar taste
schmellba99
AG
Yeah, I dont get that at all with Diplomatico. Different strokes.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I may try another bottle, because the first pour was great.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Screw that. If it didn't do it for you, move on. Too many good options to keep trying!
RGV AG
AG
I have never cared for Diplomatico. Just an odd taste for me, not bad, just odd.

Zacapa is always good rum. The bottle I always seem to go back to, and have for about 15 years, is the FDC 12 year old. To me it is the best bang for the buck that I have found. If you all ever get a chance to try the FDC 25 it is also very good. I have a couple of bottles I am saving for some special occasions.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It will be added to the back of the list, in case a make it back to it
schmellba99
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Screw that. If it didn't do it for you, move on. Too many good options to keep trying!

This. I wont buy another bottle of El Dorado - one of the most underwhelming rums I have tried. Others rave about it, i think it is lifeless and weak. Way too many other options to try to force myself to like it.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am currently working through a bottle of El Pasador de Oro XO. It was on sale at Total Wine. This gets a big thumbs up from me so far. I think I like the Kirk and Sweeney better, but I am a sucker for a sale and am quite impressed.
Oh, and at checkout I leaned over to pick up something and the bottle slid right out of the box. Caught it right before it broke free and hit the deck. Musta been meant to be.
betadawg1
AG
Not all high end, but some of the island family and a few cousins.

CactusThomas
AG
That should get you through the weekend
AlaskanAg99
AG
Had the Foursquare 2004 Rum at Lei Low awhile back. Just found it on the shelf and was surprised it's still lingering around.

Opened it last night and after two hours it reminds me more of a Bourbon barrel aged Irish whiskey with some rummy notes. I attritthis to the high proof of 112 and the fact they do not adulter the rum.

Pretty interesting.
aTm '99
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
112?!?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

112?!?

No, I'm wrong. 59% is 118 proof. 11years, but I'd have to go look up what Barbados rules are on age statements.
aTm '99
NoHo Hank
AG
Anyone tried Koloa rum? How does it compare to some of the ones in this thread? I enjoyed their dark rum at a tasting. Spiced was good too.
FlyFish95
betadawg1 said:

Not all high end, but some of the island family and a few cousins.

Are you preparing for end times?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Koloa dark rum is very drinkable
AggieBarstool
Found a bottle of older Zaya (with the cursive labeling) in a gift set at a Beverage Depot in Dallas this week. Snatched it up pdq. Haven't tried it yet.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Have any of y'all tried Balcones Texas rum?
Zaiquiri
AG
BackwardsInBoots said:

Have any of y'all tried Balcones Texas rum?

I finished a bottle a few weeks ago. I am unexperianced in regards to rum but I enjoyed it.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Old school Zaya is very very good. Too bad they screwed up such a good thing.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Got several bottles of the inaugural run of Soggy Dollar Rum, apparently it's a white label of Cruzan it's decent and a fun bottle to have
AlaskanAg99
AG
I have one with the older real material top. Before it went printed. Then they cake out with the 16 year...uh skip it.

NASA liquor has Clement store pick...little funky, very dry, over 110p, very unique for $45. They also have amazing rums there that can get very pricey.
aTm '99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.