Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

68,181 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AlaskanAg99
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are y'all recommending for a rhum agricole?! I was planning to get one for my bar.
jh0400
AG
I ended up getting a Plantation XO 20th Anniversary, a Foursquare Empery (so much for keeping it cheap), and another Foursquare 2007. The Plantation is a little sweeter than I typically like, but it should make a good night cap in place of sherried scotch. I also ordered a couple of bottles of Foursquare Premise from an online source. I'm almost positive that was the one I had at the bar in the George hotel.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Premise is good stuff

The Zin cask and Port finish are both older releases that make a good night cap

A lot of the plantation stuff is dosed, ie sugar added, so that makes sense. The OFTD may be, but I think it isn't much if at all and the proof helps hide it.

I know a lot of non rum drinkers that really like that XO so I guess it works, even if I'm not a fan of sugar added rum.
SpiderDude
AG
I made a nice Rum Fashioned with my Plantation XO last night. Used a reduced pineapple juice simple syrup.
schmellba99
AG
SpiderDude said:

What are y'all recommending for a rhum agricole?! I was planning to get one for my bar.
Clement makes a good agricole distill, as does Rhum JM. Both have different bottlings to choose from.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Foursquare Port is excellent with a cigar
Terk
AG
Where did you find the Foursquare Port Finish???

I love aged rums. I'll have to post a few reviews.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Lucky find in I think Nashville.

That's something like a 2015 release so there's not many if any still on shelves.
K Bo
AG
dipping my toes in the rum pool this week and picked up an El Dorado 15 and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva ... both were fantastic on the first pass, looking forward to digging deeper.
SpiderDude
AG
schmellba99 said:

SpiderDude said:

Clement makes a good agricole distill, as does Rhum JM. Both have different bottlings to choose from.

I picked up the Clement VSOP. It's similar rating to the JM but almost half the price.

My tasting notes for the Clment Rhum Vieux Agricole:
Nose: brown sugar with light floral
Palate: light molasses, vegetal, suttle spice
Finish: not long but smooth and clean with mild heat left on the tongue.
CharlieBrown17
AG

Mail call
Superdave1993
AG
Finished my first bottle of El Dorado 12 last weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was.
Superdave1993
AG
Finished my first bottle of El Dorado 12 last weekend. I really enjoyed that bottle.
Hudson2508
AG
Loving the El Dorado 15 I got as well, such a good bargain. Must try the 21 now.
aggieforester05
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Loving the El Dorado 15 I got as well, such a good bargain. Must try the 21 now.

I tried this a couple of months ago based on this thread. Incredible flavor will buy again!
schmellba99
AG
I have a bottle of El Dorado 15 that I think has 2 drinks out of it that will sit in the back of my cabinet until it probably evaporates, I just don't get the love for it personally.

But luckily there are about a thousand rums out there!
jh0400
AG
I picked up a bottle of Plantation Single Cask 2019 Jamaica 2009 the other day, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It's quite a bit drier than other Plantation rums that I've tried due to it being a no dosage rum.
Scotts Tot
AG
What would y'all recommend as a good starting point for a whiskey drinker looking at sipping rums? Based on this thread I think I would likely try Zacapa or El Dorado 12 or 15.
AlaskanAg99
AG
One of the difficult thing about rums is often they have sugar added and it caramel for color. Age statements can vary by country of origin.

Four Square is $$ but some of the best at the moment.
The single barrel Plantations are also excellent and they will be rolling out more in the future. There's a Guayana at the Houston downtown Specs and and Trinidad in Austin.
Appleton 12 and El Dorado 12 are so good starters. The Appleton 12 is higher proof and dryer than the El Dorado. I haven't had their 15yr.
aTm '99
jh0400
AG
For a starter I'd try Doorly's. Foursquare distilled without the price tag.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Doorlys 5 8 or 12 yr
Real McCoy (also foursquare distilled) 5 and 12 yr
Appleton reserve or 12 yr
Smith and Cross
Angostura 7 yr

Are what I think of for cheaper entry rums. That should get your feet wet and introduce you to the whole spectrum of rum flavor outside of Rhum agricole which I'm not particularly a fan of so I have no recommendations for.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Appleton/smith and cross are more rum less whiskey drinker than the others though. Smith and cross especially.
Scotts Tot
AG
Thanks for the recommendations!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Grabbed a bottle of Real McCoy 12 tonight in OKC.

Good stuff, wish it was a little higher than 80 proof
austinag1997
AG
Welp, I finally bought the FDC 12 and 18 years to taste side by side. Like the 12 yr better. Both are good rums.
jh0400
AG
I stopped into our neighborhood liquor store yesterday for some tequila for palomas and walked out with a Foursquare Nobiliary as well. I'm looking forward to trying it soon.
Scotts Tot
AG
Grabbed some Doorly's 12...my first time to sip a good aged rum. I enjoyed it! Nice barrel notes on the palate. I will say the taste was a little thin for me. I think bottling at 80 proof robs this rum of some body.

Just for kicks I sampled this against some Buffalo Trace, a middle of the road lower proof bourbon (45%). At an extra 5%, the BT has a much richer flavor. Maybe it's not appropriate to compare with another spirit like that, but since I don't have a frame of reference for other rums that's what I tried. I'd be interested to try another aged rum with a little more oomph, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it, and excited to try others.
jh0400
AG
Find a bottle of Foursquare Premise or Sagacity. It's similar profile but a lot more body. I'd recommend one of those over the cask strength offerings like 2007 until you're sure you like them.
Scotts Tot
AG
Thanks! I'll check them out.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd say 2007 or similar would have a profile to doorlys being not finished like sagacity or premise.
jh0400
AG
2007 is my favorite of the Foursquare bottles I have now (Premise, Hereditas, Sagacity, Nobiliary, and possibly one other), but they're all really good. In a sick way I hope they keep the price tag to keep the bourbon bros away from them.
RGV AG
AG
I agree with you on liking the 12 better. I won a case of the 18yo in a fishing tourney in 2008. I still have about 5 or those bottles, I think I only drank 2 and gave the others away.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great rum, excellent really. I just like the 12 better, and I like the 7 year a little more than the 12. I have some bottles of a higher proof 7 year old that I really enjoy, it is good stuff.
austinag1997
AG
Here is my delimna. I really like Appleton 21. Problem is it nearly hard to find (have to order online), and it isn't exactly inexpensive. So I am on the search for a similar tasting rum.

Lately, I have tried:

FDC 12
DDC 18
Plantation XO

So I am on the search for a less sweet rum. Suggestions?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Appleton 12
austinag1997
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Appleton 12

Sounds too simple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.