Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

67,464 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AlaskanAg99
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You could also find the Hampden estate overproof if you're looking for something else on the funky side that's a bit more out of the mainstream.

60-70 bucks at specs, it's a 7 or 8 year 120 proof Jamaican funk bomb
jh0400
AG
The Plantation 2009 Jamaica would be a good rec as well if you're looking for something dry and funky that's not cask strength.
austinag1997
AG
I'll have to give those a try... thanks.
Scotts Tot
AG
A couple of questions for you rum regulars...

What is "funk"? I see it described often in tasting notes, particularly for the Jamaican rums. What flavor would you most closely associate with funk?

Do you find that alcohol content typically correlates with body, or full-flavoredness in aged rums? I notice some of the popular aged rums like Zacapa 23, El Dorado 12, Diplomatico, the Doorly's 12 I recently started with, and several others I've seen, are bottled at 80-85 proof, which would be fairly low for premium whiskies. I find the Doorly's to be tasty and enjoyable, but a tad thin on the palate, and I wonder if it's just that rum or the lower proof that keeps it from being a little more flavorful.
austinag1997
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

A couple of questions for you rum regulars...

What is "funk"? I see it described often in tasting notes, particularly for the Jamaican rums. What flavor would you most closely associate with funk?

Do you find that alcohol content typically correlates with body, or full-flavoredness in aged rums? I notice some of the popular aged rums like Zacapa 23, El Dorado 12, Diplomatico, the Doorly's 12 I recently started with, and several others I've seen, are bottled at 80-85 proof, which would be fairly low for premium whiskies. I find the Doorly's to be tasty and enjoyable, but a tad thin on the palate, and I wonder if it's just that rum or the lower proof that keeps it from being a little more flavorful.

I will give you my interpretation, but invite others to weigh in. Most mainstream rums are fairly sweet in taste. There are a few that have a more oaky or spiced flavor. That is what I interpret is funk. Plantation XO has some funk to it but is from Barbados, so I don't think it is limited to Jamican rums.

I prefer darker rums (and bourbons for that matter). I tyically find the lighter rums generally have a thinner taste. Most rums are in the 80 proof range. There are certainly exception like Foursquare rums. I haven't yet experimented with those.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I usually think of funk as dry not oaky and then notes of fruit that vary from ripe to almost rotten depending on the rum.

Plus an almost gasoline/diesel like note.

It's honestly a lot like smelly cheeses, it's not something I'll always reach for but if I'm in the mood for that then it's the only think I'll be drinking.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Commonly available (mostly) funky rums to try from least to most in your face in my opinion

Appleton
Smith & Cross
Hampden 7 yr
Wray & Nephew overproof
Rum Fire overproof
jh0400
AG
Add Stolen Rum to near the bottom of your list. Super dry and lots of overripe banana.
CharlieBrown17
AG
jh0400 said:

Add Stolen Rum to near the bottom of your list. Super dry and lots of overripe banana.

Agreed. Honestly didn't know if it was still in distro/available.

Grabbed a couple bottles around 18 months ago but to my understanding it was a one time bottling
jh0400
AG
It's still sitting around at some Specs in Houston.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you can find and aren't sure if funky rums are your thing the stolen is a nice option because it's a 375 and lower investment
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know anything about high end rum but foursquare sagacity is delicious.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Total wine by the Cabelas in Fort Worth has 5 different Four Square bottlings right now
CactusThomas
AG
I doubt the one by me has many options. What are the ones to look for?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Haven't had a bad one.

Foursquare only releases their top tier stuff under their name.

Their lesser (but still good stuff) is under other labels.

If you liked Sagacity, Premise is worth a pick up if you see it. Should be 60 or so bucks. Empery as well but that's higher price.
All the 200x are great as well but are straight bourbon cask along with nobillary, the newest release. Unless 2008 is on shelves as well already.
CactusThomas
AG
Thank you
jh0400
AG
Premise is probably my favorite of the lower proof Foursquares.
Scotts Tot
AG
Doorly's 12 was my first foray into aged rums, enjoyed it thoroughly, and I'm looking to try another, up to $40ish. Thinking about trying one of these...thoughts?

Zacapa 23
Plantation XO
Diplomatico Reserva
El Dorado 12 or maybe 15

Also interested to hear thoughts on good aged rums for mixing, closer to $20. The Doorly's made some fine tiki drinks, also heard good things about Plantation 5.
jh0400
AG
I use Appleton for mixing. On Zacapa or Plantation XO, both of those are pretty heavily dosed which leaves them way too sweet for my tastes.
Scotts Tot
AG
Did a little research on dosing and came across this page from a guy who has used a hydrometer to estimate the amount of additives in a bunch of rums. It's pretty enlightening and sort of makes me rethink which ones I might like to try. I don't think I would enjoy something heavily dosed with sugar.

http://www.drecon.dk/index.php/17-list-of-rum-measured
CharlieBrown17
AG
Appleton 12. Should 30 or so bucks
HTownAg98
FlyFisher09 said:

Doorly's 12 was my first foray into aged rums, enjoyed it thoroughly, and I'm looking to try another, up to $40ish. Thinking about trying one of these...thoughts?

Zacapa 23
Plantation XO
Diplomatico Reserva
El Dorado 12 or maybe 15

Also interested to hear thoughts on good aged rums for mixing, closer to $20. The Doorly's made some fine tiki drinks, also heard good things about Plantation 5.

Flor de Cana 12 should be within your budget. If you can find the 18, get it, but I don't know if that fits in your budget.
Daddy
AG
Zafra 21

Thank me later
The Return of the Fightin' Texas Aggies
jh0400
AG
A bottle of Foursquare 2004 showed up today.
Scotts Tot
AG
Anyone else tried the Plantation Stiggins Fancy Pineapple? I had a delivery and was mistakenly sent this instead of the OFTD I ordered. After reading about it online I decided to keep it and give it a try. It's pretty interesting and an enjoyable sipper. Definitely not what you would think of for a "flavored" rum, it does have pronounced pineapple from the infusion, but it's not super sweet. I think it will make a great old fashioned.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Makes a great daiquiri as well
AlaskanAg99
AG
jh0400 said:

A bottle of Foursquare 2004 showed up today.

Last of the screw tops!

Rum is incredibly complex and difficult to fully understand because of how many producers there are, sugar sources and distilling methods.

Makes Bourbon look like a breeze in comparison.
aTm '99
Rongagin71
AG
Wanted to warn you guys that Zaya Gran Reserva (aged 16 yrs, imported from Trinidad&Tobago) is the WORST rum I have ever tasted...literally has a fishy garbage flavor, Threw it out from fear of getting sick. Was $36 so not real expensive but still a disappointment.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Daddy said:

Zafra 21

Thank me later

This was my first high end rum to drink straight. I love it and alternate between this and Zacapa 23.
SpiderDude
AG
Rongagin71 said:

Wanted to warn you guys that Zaya Gran Reserva (aged 16 yrs, imported from Trinidad&Tobago) is the WORST rum I have ever tasted...literally has a fishy garbage flavor, Threw it out from fear of getting sick. Was $36 so not real expensive but still a disappointment.
Rongagin71
AG
Rongagin71 said:

So, the rest of the story is that a needy friend of my son came for a visit and I washed off the rum and gave it to her (with a warning). She was back yesterday and reported that she, husband, and MIL all liked it okay though they agreed the aftertaste was unusual.
schmellba99
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Daddy said:

Zafra 21

Thank me later

This was my first high end rum to drink straight. I love it and alternate between this and Zacapa 23.
Zafra 21 is a good rum. Zacapa was my first foray into aged rums, and there will always be a sweet spot for it because of that. But, generally speaking, it's way too sweet for me these days after trying a lot of other distills.
RebelE Infantry
AG
I hear ya. I tend to like the sweeter rums but am open to try something more complex. Do you have a recommendation for something slightly less sweet for me to try? Thanks.
schmellba99
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

I hear ya. I tend to like the sweeter rums but am open to try something more complex. Do you have a recommendation for something slightly less sweet for me to try? Thanks.
Rum from Jamaica, Barbados and Martinique have no added sugar by law. Like funky taste, get the Jamaican. Like the vegetal taste, get the Martinique. Like more of a wood barrel taste, get the Barbados.

That being said, brands like Plantation will ship their rum to France to age in cognac casks and sometimes sugar will be added back.

Foursquare is probably the leader in no sugar added. Doorly's is another dry rum with no sugar, Appleton Estate rums don't have any sugar added either.

I have a huge list that I've been working on that I stole from somewhere else that has brands and sugar/ml added. I'd say anything 10 g/l and under is probably considered "less sweet".

Example - Zacapa 23 has 21 g/l of sugar added after distillation, which is why it is so sweet.
SpiderDude

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.