Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

68,024 Views | 370 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AlaskanAg99
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flor de Cana 15 tonight, followed by a Papas Pilar 24. Flor was solid as always, this Pilar 24 is an interesting cat - finished in Spanish sherry casks, it has an interesring flavor. Cant decide how much I like it just yet, very dark color with a lot of molasses on the nose. Sweet finish, good after taste.

Liking it more with each sip.
Old School Rucking
AG
Pusser's 15 year
tx4guns
AG
I've been on a big rum kick lately, and the following have been some of the best I've had.

1) FourSquare Habitation 2013

2) FourSquare 2004

3) Plantation O.F.T.D

They're all fairly difficult to find, but they can be ordered from Europe online in a pinch.
cheeky
AG
tx4guns said:

Havana Club 7. Drinking a bottle this weekend.
Anejo
rshackelford
AG
Ive had Zacapa 23 a few times. It's good but a little watered down tasting. I'd venture to say it's TOO smooth for my taste.
Ag MD 84
AG
In Guatemala last week, picked up a bottle of Colonial reserva especial. Bottle calls it artesenal and says it's hecho en Guatemala. Anyone heard of this? Haven't tried yet.
RGV AG
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

In Guatemala last week, picked up a bottle of Colonial reserva especial. Bottle calls it artesenal and says it's hecho en Guatemala. Anyone heard of this? Haven't tried yet.
I haven't heard of that particular rum, but I drink a bottle or two of Botran every year, buy it when it is on special at the duty free. I drink Botran when I am in Gua as well. Guatemala has some good rums. In Antigua I have seen some small batch or craft rums, is that where you got this one? Be interested to see how you like it.
Ag MD 84
AG
I did buy it at a store in Antigua. It was 250Q ($33) and I also bought a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 . I haven't been able to find anything on-line about the Colonial. On-call tonite, but will open tomorrow.
Wheatables02
AG
I'm going to regret I discovered this thread. Greetings to all you dual purpose Bourbon Guys and thank you to all for the recommendations. I just purchased a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 for $39 and I'm about to dive into this slippery slope...
Wheatables02
AG
The 23 was really good. Picked up a px 5x5 today. Has anyone tried these smooth Ambler revelation rum where the youngest rum in there is no younger than 25 years old?
FHKChE07
AG
Matusalem 15 is pretty good rum for the price. A little of that on the rocks makes for a nice night cap.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Had Appleton 21 the other day, it was great.
RedlineAg08
Been to several different stores including specs and Ron Zacapa 23 is always $49.

Very good stuff though. I approve.
investorAg83
AG
I'm at total wine and spirits and the Ron Zacapa 23 is 39.99.
jonj101
I missed Diplomatico in my original post - we've been using it to replace Zaya since the quality of Zaya has diminished greatly.

Another one I didn't mention is Pampero Aniversario. Its a Venezuelan rum that comes in a short bottle and a leather sack. Its a decent sipper and is typically around 30 bucks.
schmellba99
AG
Diplomatico Reserva (green bottle) is nails. Probably one of my favorites at the moment.

Papas Pilar 24 put a whooping on me the other day. But it was a good whooping.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Has anyone in Houston seen Appleton 12yr? I only see Appleton Special.
Tx95Ag
AG
After seeing this thread, I picked up a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva. That is a nice drink. Think I'll have to give a couple other a try.
investorAg83
AG
Picked up a bottle of the diplomatica reserva and the Ron zacapa 23 for a buddy's birthday. If I only had the DR I would have thought it was great. Next to RZ there was no comparison though. Both are great but RZ was better. Same opinion from all 6 guys who tried them both.

Fyi they were all bourbon/scotch drinkers and had never ventured into sipping rums before, myself included. All were shocked how much they enjoyed it and even more shocked at its price point.
Superdave1993
AG
Well, this thread nudged me off the bourbon isle and over to the rums. Picked up a bottle of Zacapa 23 Solara, and it is smooth. Finished the first drink before I knew it number two was gone before bed as well. I really struggle at picking out particular fruits or spices etc, but rather drink what I think tastes good to me.

My review of this one is that it is very smooth with little to no burn, so be careful it does go down easy. Even I can tell the difference from a bourbon, and can pick up on molasses type smell and flavor. It does not seem to have the "body" or mid-range of a bourbon, but I really enjoyed it and will try a few others mentioned here.

The best thing is that many of the recommended brands on here are actually in stores and on the shelf at retail prices.
AlaskanAg99
AG
A lot of rums are adulterated after distilling. Here's a great set of info on which labels have sugar added back.

Wycliffe
+1 for Pussers
RGV AG
AG
They had a special in one of the Guatemala City airport duty free stores a couple of weeks ago, $15 for 2 bottles of Botran 12 year old. For $15 that was a hell of a buy, not the best rum by any means but an excellent one for $7.50 a bottle, that is like "Ron Rico" rot gut price at a discount US liquor store.

I am pretty much an FDC guy for the most part, but there sure seems to be a lot of really good rums out there.

That Zacapa Solara is also really good, it is smooth, smooth, but a little sweet for me.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Angostura 1824.
schmellba99
AG
Flor De Cana 18 tonight. Buddy broight it back from Mexico - next time he is beinging me some Havana Club.

Very easy drink. Not as robust as Diplomatico or Papas Pilar, but a very smooth drink. Hint of butter and tobacco.
txagdan
AG
I once poured out an entire bottle of Pussers after a single sip.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tried Papa Pillar tonight, it was pretty nice, a little sweet but nice
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I had the El Dorado 15 today, it quickly became my 2nd favorite to Zacapa
Bryan98
AG
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before now!

For sipping rums, I'm a big fan of Zaya. I also enjoy El Dorado 15yr.
HTownAg98
El Dorado 15 is my current favorite, but the Ron Zacapa 23 is trying to overtake the #1 spot. The El Dorado is really rich and dense, with a little funkiness on the finish. The Ron Zacapa is less sweet and smoother, but there's still a lot of complexity. You can't go wrong with either.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My current list

1. Zacapa XO
2. El Dorado 15
3. Zacapa 23
4. Bambara 15
5. Zacapa 15
6. Flora De Cana 15
7. Ron de Barrilito
8. Papa Pillar
9. Zaya
RGV AG
AG
I am in Haiti, but have been spending some time in the DR and have been trying the Brugal and Barcelo rums and they are pretty darn good. Barbancourt from Haiti, the 4 year old didn't strike my fancy, but where I am in Haiti I haven't been able to get any of the better bottles.

Brugal "Siglo de Oro" is a very good rum, a bit on the sweet side for me. But very good.

I have never seen too many Dominican rums in the states, maybe a Brugal once.

The Barcelo "Gran Platino" white rum is very good for mixing, right up there with the FDC Extra Lite, although I like the FDC Extra Seco a tad better.

One note I am not aware of, or at least I have never seen it and I lived in Nicaragua for almost 9 years, that FDC makes a 15 year old rum. Is that a new rum or maybe for export only. Flor De Cana, the 12 year old is a great well priced rum and the 25 year old is still my favorite high end one, just slightly better to my palate than Zacapa XO.

I have only had El Dorado once, and I wasn't paying good attention. Is it fairly available in the states? I have only seen it Panama and didn't try it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
El Dorado is easy to come by in Houston, all 3 age stated versions. Can't speak to the others.
aTm '99
Bryan98
AG
HTownAg98 said:

El Dorado 15 is my current favorite, but the Ron Zacapa 23 is trying to overtake the #1 spot. The El Dorado is really rich and dense, with a little funkiness on the finish. The Ron Zacapa is less sweet and smoother, but there's still a lot of complexity. You can't go wrong with either.
Yeah I really enjoy the smoothness and sweetness of Zaya when I just want something to sip, but if I'm really going to pay attention, El Dorado 15 has more complexity, in a good way.
schmellba99
AG
Plantation O.F.T.D. tonight for me. Great first hit on the palate, a little odd on the finish for me. Cant decide what the finish is. Very good rum overall.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.