Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,487 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whatever chili you're making, don't forget the fish sauce!
Tailgate88
AG
It's chili weather! I'm defrosting 2lbs of venison chili grind and picking up my chuck roast this aft!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Knocked out mine just now. 2lbs chuck ground, 2lbs bison, .5 bacon. Tomato based, 2 cups imperial stout. And the usual spices.
Tailgate88
AG
Sooner Born said:

I'm a convert. It goes in mind now. My wife thought I was crazy when I put it in the last batch but it only takes one batch and you'll be convinced.
nonag97
Sooner Born said:

I'm intrigued. How much would you recommend to use?
schmellba99
AG
Knocked out a batch over the weekend - elk grind and then cubed up a couple of cheap top sirloins I had in the freezer. Hard to beat a good chili when it's cold, even if this was one of my blander batches so the kids would eat it.
Ag_SGT
AG
The wife's niece is in town and loved AAC's recipe awhile back, she got here and her exact words were, "Can you make that chili from your Texas Aggie site?" Needless to say, AustinAgChef's chili is cooking
OregonAggie
AG
Cooked a good spread for some friends yesterday. Beef ribs, pork ribs, a chicken, and this chili.

My beef ribs were great but everyone kept raving about the chili!! Thanks for the recipe. I packaged up the leftovers to take on a hunting trip in a couple weeks.
Naveronski
AG
OregonAggie said:

Cooked a good spread for some friends yesterday. Beef ribs, pork ribs, a chicken, and this chili.

My beef ribs were great but everyone kept raving about the chili!! Thanks for the recipe. I packaged up the leftovers to take on a hunting trip in a couple weeks.

FYI, it freezes well. Just toss a block of it in a pot over low heat to thaw/heat it, and it'll keep your ice chest cold in the mean time.
B-1 83
AG
ttt
fav13andac1)c
AG
Photobucket
John Francis Donaghy
ttt
Quinn
AG
Chili cookoff day at work today. Five entries so far; my normal beef chili that I've posted here, toned down on the spicy scale since people are wimps, one redish chili/soup (might be real chili, but looks pretty soupy), two taco/bean/chicken soup concoctions; and one crock pot that currently has taco soup ingredients with two semi-raw chicken breast and a block of cream cheese on top. Why does this always happen?? Why does noone know what proper chili is?? Anyways, I'm 100% avoiding the raw chicken-cream cheese combo, and I'm wondering if I should say something. That pot is already contaminated, right?
John Francis Donaghy
Quinn said:

Chili cookoff day at work today. Five entries so far; my normal beef chili that I've posted here, toned down on the spicy scale since people are wimps, one redish chili/soup (might be real chili, but looks pretty soupy), two taco/bean/chicken soup concoctions; and one crock pot that currently has taco soup ingredients with two semi-raw chicken breast and a block of cream cheese on top. Why does this always happen?? Why does noone know what proper chili is?? Anyways, I'm 100% avoiding the raw chicken-cream cheese combo, and I'm wondering if I should say something. That pot is already contaminated, right?

Definitely. You have to cook chicken before it goes into something like a crock pot.
Quinn
AG
It would be okay if it got up to 145, right? But I doubt it got that hot.
John Francis Donaghy
Quinn said:

It would be okay if it got up to 145, right? But I doubt it got that hot.

165 for chicken, and since it was in there raw with everything else. You would have to be sure that everything in the pot got up to, and stayed at 165, including any utensils that dipped into the pot before everything was cooked. And with as slow as a crock pot cooks, that leaves a lot of time in the in-between temps for bacterial growth before getting to 165. Personally, I wouldnt go anywhere near it.
Quinn
AG
I didn't eat it and my chili won, so overall a good chili cookoff.
Aggie1
AG
https://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/TolbertChili.htm

Tolbert's Original Bowl of Red Chili Recipe is by Frank X. Tolbert, from his book, A Bowl of Red, published by Texas A&M University Press, 1953. Frank Tolbert founded the Terlingua International Chili Championship in Terlingua, Texas and owned a chain of chili parlors in Dallas, Texas.

The most famous and well known chili cook-off took place in 1967 in Terlingua, Texas. Terlingua was once a thriving mercury-mining town of 5,000 people and it is the most remote site you can choose as it is not close to any major city and the nearest commercial airport is almost 279 miles away. Just getting to Terlingua requires a major effort. It was a two-man cook-off between Texas chili champ Homer "Wick" Fowler (1909-1972), a Dallas and Denton newspaper reporter, and H. Allen Smith (1906-1976), New York humorist and author, which ended in a tie.
Learn more about the history and legends of Chili, Chili Con Carne.

Tolbert's Original Bowl of Red Chili Recipe:

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: serves many

Ingredients:

3 pounds lean beef (or venison if you prefer... or 1/2 and 1/2 even better...)
1/8 pound rendered beef kidney suet (if you want to go for it)
1 teaspoon each oregano, cumin powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Tabasco
3 tablespoons chile powder (optional)
4 hot chile peppers
At least two chopped cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons masa harina, cornmeal, or flour (optional)*

* The masa adds a subtle, tamale-like taste, but it also thickens the chili. Masa Corn Mix is a tradition Mexican whole corn flour that is found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores (not to be confused with corn meal).

Instructions:

Sear beef in a large soup pot or cast-iron Dutch oven. You may need a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. When the meat is all gray, add suet, chile peppers, and about two inches of liquid (you can use water, I use beer). Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add spices and garlic, bring just to boil; lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. NOTE: Add more liquid only to keep the mix from burning. Skim off as much grease as you can, and add masa harina. Simmerfor another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.

This is a spicy chili, so leave out some of the spicy stuff in the beginning if you have a tender tongue. At this point, I refrigerate the chili overnight which allows the chili to mellow and you can skim off all the grease.
cheeky
AG
It's looking awful chili out there!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Made AAC's recipe with the beef stock modification mentioned earlier this weekend. Dang good stuff.
LastHamlet
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Tried to make an in between/combo of austins and fido's. After simmering for an hour, I let my wife try it. She said it needed more flavor. I think this is where I messed up. I added basically a teaspoon of ancho chili powder and now it tastes kinda bitter and dark or almost like mole sauce does. Not sure what to do now, I thought it tasted fine before adding the extra teaspoon but now it tastes weird.

Should I add something sorta sweet to it to offset it?

FWIW In the beginning I did a combo of powder and made a puree.
Slicer97
AG
I typically use around twice as much guajillo as ancho in my powder and puree. Gives you more red color and will cut a lot of the ancho's bitterness.

I also use sweet onions and puree them after they've sauteed.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Slicer97 said:

I typically use around twice as much guajillo as ancho in my powder and puree. Gives you more red color and will cut a lot of the ancho's bitterness.

I also use sweet onions and puree them after they've sauteed.
I think I used too much ancho.

I added a little honey, and sweet chili sauce that is typically used in chinese dishes. It helped.

I'll try cutting back on the ancho next time. Thanks!
AggieFrankTX
MarylandAG said:

"I always have a mason jar in my fridge with bacon fat at all times and will use it quite frequently for flavor when cooking."

Blue star for you!!!
A fridge without a jar of bacon grease has no place in Texas.

I actually heat and drain the contents of my jar every two or three months, for several reasons. To be sure that the oldest grease does not just sit in the bottom, getting older and older. To filter out solids. To clean the jar. To get a nice homogeneous look in the jar, rather than layers.
Van Buren Boy
AG
About that time in DFW!
fav13andac1)c
AG

It's chili season!!!
ChipFTAC01
AG
I asked my wife last night if it's too early to start our kids on chili. She doesn't love my chili (and I don't like her "chili") so I need to start recruiting some allies in my cause.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I don't know what that means

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

How much? I've looked thru the thread & can't find the recipe where this is added. Sounds interesting and I have a pot of brisket/venison chili going today. You think I can put a bottle on the table and people can experiment with a few drops if feeling adventurous?
notheranymore
Hi in Houston is 89 today but I'm making chili anyway!
Ornlu
AG
I add the fish sauce when I add the chili paste. It has an off putting odor, which goes away when boiled for a few minutes (but the umami goodness remains). 2 tablespoons is about right.
Tailgate88
AG
Making chili tomorrow in celebeation of the incoming cold front!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cold front coming gonna be 60!

wadd96
AG
Good day for a bump! It's chilly and i plan to make a batch of chili tonight!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.