Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,594 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doubling up the chili tonight. My wife generately hates when I make i because it always turns out with too strong of a chili powder, salt, pepper, love taste, etc. I've been experimenting for several years though.

Made some on Friday that we polished off today, and she said "make that again!" so I sent her shopping to double up the ingredients.

We'll see how it turns out since the last batch was a 110% complete experiement.

2 dumps, 3lbs chili

brown 3 lbs in 1 lb batches, set aside
dump 1
2tbsp chili powder
2tbspn garlic powder
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp cumin

dump 2
same as above, but 1 tbsp bohners taco seasoning instead of cumin

a lot of salt with each dump, no idea how much

after browning meat straining, cook meat with 32oz approx tomato sauce. put in 16oz chicken broth, 2 tbsp beef bullion, and 20 oz or so of water. bring to boil then simmer 40 minutes.

Dump in spice 1 - simmer 40 minutes

Dump in spice 2, and put in 2 chipotle chili peppers (sometimes called peppers in adobo sauce) - simmer 25 minutes. remove peppers.

Store. Eat. Smile. Poop. Repeat.
The D
AG
made some green chili chili with a receipe sooner posted here a month or so ago. Roasted the green chili I had bought and froze from earlier in the year. Used green chili powder I ordered as well.

gigm09
AG
My wife is making chili for tonight. Our recipe uses the dried chilies rehydrated and no tomatoes or tomato paste (we do put beans in it though). Adding beer does sound good; will have to try that. For our rehydrated chili paste we use 4 anchos 2 pasillas and 10 arbols.
Gabster43213
What if my grocery store only sells jalapeƱo peppers?
civil08
AG
Thanks for the recipe Austin. I made it at the Mizzo game for our tailgate and it was a huge hit.
Sooner Born
quote:
made some green chili chili with a receipe sooner posted here a month or so ago. Roasted the green chili I had bought and froze from earlier in the year. Used green chili powder I ordered as well.

. Just made this again yesterday but with a porkbutt I had smoked, pulled and froze. It was incredible.
The D
AG
I want to make it again but don't have any hatch chilis. Is there anything else to use besides for the canned stuff ?
Gabster43213
I really need to make one of these recipes this week.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Making a big batch of chili tomorrow for the Bama game. Using ideas from AAC and Fido. Trying something different from what I've done in the past. Frito pie with homemade chili!
bobag87
AG
The D. Where do you live. Many stores have frozen Bueno Brand New Mexico chile. Also, check out New Mexico Catalog online. They ship frozen Hatch chile.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Making this again for the Super Bowl. Gonna have to start cooking at like 11 since the SB starts at friggin 5:30
Ag_SGT
AG
Making AustinAgs recipe again today, love that chili recipe
fav13andac1)c
AG
Hey bro me too. Made it to impress the inlaws! AAC, thanks for making me look cool!
AustinAgChef
Glad you guys are still enjoying the recipe! I might just make a pot tomorrow.
ursusguy
AG
Man it is aboit that time of year. Thanks for the assorted tips.
Ag_SGT
AG
It turned out great, my future step daughter usually doesn't like that sort of stuff but she loved it
Harwood
AG
I put the whole can of tamato paste on accident, now really tamatoey. Should i add more beer?
fav13andac1)c
AG
How big was the can?
ColoradoMooseHerd
Thanks for link
Echoes97
AG
Will try and remember my recipe, which I made up a while back, but really turns out awesome IMO. Uses the ancho chile base, which gives it that great Texas flavor. Bear in mind for the steps below, read them all because many of them can take place in parallel. Also, this chili needs time to mature, so it's best if you let it simmer a good 3+ hours.

Ingredients:
10-15 Dried Ancho Peppers (just get a bunch, amount is not critical)
1 large sweet onion
4 jalapenos
Can of chilpotle peppers in adobo sauce
3-4 different kinds of meats (for texture), I use:
-1 Choice Ribeye
-1 Choice Round Steak
-1-2 lbs of Ground Chuck
-Sometimes I'll throw in a sirloin also (up to you)
4-6 slices of bacon
1-2 beers (I've used different kinds, find something you like)
Cumin
Salt & Pepper
Butter/oil for sauteeing

1) Break the ancho chiles open and remove the stems and seeds. I like to toast the ancho skins in a big skillet for a few minutes, then pour enough water to cover them all and boil that for 5-10 mins. Use a plate or something to weigh them down and keep them under water. The water will turn dark red/brown, and that is what will be the base of the chili. After boiling, put all of the anchos and the water into the blender and wait.

2) While that's taking place, I take half an onion (sliced, doesn't need to be diced), 4 sliced jalapenos, and 4-6 cloves of minced garlic (add this late so it doesn't burn) and sautee in a skillet until the peppers and onions are soft. Once done, add all this to the blender w/ the anchos and water.

NOTE: 4 jalapenos makes it spicy but not over the top, so it's a good crowd pleaser. Obviously you can substitute whatever you want to make it spicier (I do a habanero if making for myself only).

3) Add 1 chilpotle pepper and a tbsp or so of adobo sauce to the blender, and blend all of this goodness into a smooth liquid. This should smell smoky and delicious. Set aside as we won't need it immediately.

4) Cook the bacon in a skillet (leaving the bacon grease), then dice up the other half of the onion and sautee that in the leftover bacon grease. Crush up the bacon and set aside.

5) OK, for the meat, I like to use several different kinds, to give a variety of texture to the chili. It's up to you how you cook it, if I have time I like to grill it as normal, but you can cube it and cook in a skillet or dutch oven also. If you grill it, once they're ready to slice, cube the steaks into small pieces. Either way, once cooked and cubed, set aside. Obviously just brown the ground chuck.

6) Now time for the good stuff, I use a dutch oven for this but you could use a big crock pot or similar also. I like to be able to get to a hot enough temperature to control the thickness during cooking though.
Pour the smoky chili liquid into the pot
Add the bacon, diced onions, and cubed/ground meat to the pot
Add a beer of your choice
Add a dash of cumin (to taste, but remember this will reduce and intensify later)
Let this simmer for a few hours, checking for texture and consistency every so often. If it gets too thick, add more beer, beef/chicken stock, or if you must, some water (I almost never do this).

That's really about it, I add salt and pepper to taste, but again, remember that as it thickens it will intensify those flavors so don't go crazy with the salt too early. Let it thicken to your desired thickness. IMO this chili doesn't need chili powder because of its chile base, but that's up to you. This chili is spicy, smoky Texas goodness, hope you enjoy!

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net

[This message has been edited by Echoes97 (edited 10/22/2013 10:06a).]
proudaggie02
AG
I ate at Eskimo Joes in Stillwater, OK a couple days ago. The chili, especially as part of the chili cheese fries, was great. It was fairly light with a bit of a sweet taste.
La Fours
AG
Making my version of AustinAgChef's recipe. It is simmering now.
NoHo Hank
AG
Trying AustinAgChef's recipe now. Skipped a few things because of missing ingredients, but hopefully it'll still taste great.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Echoes97, that recipe looks intriguing, yet expensive! I might have to give it a shot though. Don't know if I can afford 3 different cuts of choice steak.
Echoes97
AG
You can definitely use select steaks or really any other meat you can afford, just cube it small enough so that it will tenderize and break down during the simmer. I know it's a little crazy for chili I just figured wtf I'd go w what I like to eat.

Feel free to embellish, it's chili!
12thAngryMan
AG
I'm having trouble with the deglazing part of AAC's recipe. By the time I cook all the batches of meat, it seems the "good bits" stuck to the pan are burnt. When I try to deglaze with the beer, it just looks burnt and tastes terrible. Advice?
HTownAg98
Deglaze it earlier. Get everything scraped up, and pour it in a bowl. Wipe out the pan, and continue browning.
HTownAg98
Made this tonight, with dome modifications. I subbed 3 serrannos for the jalapeƱo, and used less tomato. This was slightly too spicy for me. I like it to be spicy enough to where you want to eat more, and it is slightly past that. If I were eating it served over some tamales, it would be perfect. It is very rich with a ton of depth and complexity.

The only other thing I did was to cook it in a pressure cooker. From toasting the chiles to eating was 2 hours.
Ag_09
AG
I don't think I have ever posted on this board; however, I've lurked for a long time. I made AustinAgChef's Chili recipe last night (followed directions the best I could) for a work competition I have today, and it turned out great. Definitely the best chili I have ever made!

My wife doesn't usually eat spicy food; however, she said the chili was worth eating for the flavor alone and said she would just have to deal with the spice.

Thanks, AustinAg!
B-1 83
AG
Made Austin Ag's last weekend. That chili had the best mix of flavors I have ever had. For me, (and I enjoy hot stuff) it was pretty darn hot. My only confusion was on the definition of "large" cans of stuff.
mike073
AG
Lots of good information here and all the recipes I read look good.

Let me add something about ancho chili pods. If you remove the stem and seeds, boil, cool and then remove the pulp from the skins, this takes away some of the bitterness from the chili pod.

Can't do this with arbol or cascabel, but it does produce a very nice chili flavor from the anchos you use.

Also, I do not see many suggestions on a second, smaller round of seasoning closer to the time of serving. Many folks like the brightness of the spice flavors when doing so.

Gig 'em Aggies!

[This message has been edited by mike073 (edited 11/8/2013 4:05p).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
Made Austin Ag's chili last night. Probably should have started before 745. Other than I didn't cube the meat small enough, and I didn't fully pastify the chilis, it was great. I'm sure I'll enjoy it over the next week as I eat through my supply of it.

My fiance and I are having people over for the a family/friends get together the night before Thanksgiving, a tradition she started a few years ago. This year it will feature a showdown between her namby-pamby sweet chili versus some something more akin to this thread. She's from London, I'm from Corsicana, I'd like to think that I can out-chili her.

HTownAg98
quote:
Made Austin Ag's chili last night. Probably should have started before 745. Other than I didn't cube the meat small enough, and I didn't fully pastify the chilis, it was great. I'm sure I'll enjoy it over the next week as I eat through my supply of it.

My fiance and I are having people over for the a family/friends get together the night before Thanksgiving, a tradition she started a few years ago. This year it will feature a showdown between her namby-pamby sweet chili versus some something more akin to this thread. She's from London, I'm from Corsicana, I'd like to think that I can out-chili her.

If you don't, you should turn in your Texas residency and move.
Americium
AG
I made a variant of AustinAg's and it came out great. I used crush red pepper, green chile powder, and serranos instead of the chipotle powder and chile de arbol. I used smoked paprika. I used 3.25lbs of meat and didn't use any tomato paste.

When I deglazed my cast iron La Creuset skillet with 1/4 of the beer it just evaporated very quickly and took about 3/4 of the beer to accomplish this. This was actually my first time to ever make chili and it was great. I think I'll have the butcher cut the meat next time, that sucked.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Weather turning cold Wednesday and plan to skip my regular chili recipe and give AAC's a try.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.