Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,492 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indeed, how could my chili with it's freshly toasted and ground chiles & cumin ever compete with those wonderful bottled offerings from HEB and all that tomatoey goodness?

Anyway, my original responses were just giving you a hard time for not including a recipe with the initial post
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Thanks, guys. The pissing contest may now resume.
HTownAg98
quote:
The dried chiles will last for a pretty good while but like with all other dried spices, they will begin to lose their flavor over time. I'd say anything over 2-3 months old will not have much flavor but will still be perfectly fine to eat. You'll just have to use more of them to get the flavor you want.

+1. Dried chiles should be pliable. If they are dry and brittle, pass on them. FWIW, the bulk bins at HEB are usually full of chiles that are dry and brittle, while the ones in the Fiesta spices packages are fresh and pliable. They cost more, but are worth it.
metrag06
AG
Made this on Friday - got great reviews.

Thanks for the recipe!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bump because I have a question about AustinAgChef's recipe. I've made chili before that has turned out really "tomatoey," for lack of a better word. I like more of a chili flavor, rather than the tomato dominating the recipe. Is this recipe the same way, in that it's really tomato based? I'm thinking about making chili this weekend due to the cold front blowing in. Thanks!
fta09
AG
If you want a stronger chili taste, grind your chili powder fresh and don't be afraid to use it. I use ~3-4 tablespoons of stuff when I make a batch that feeds the wife and me with just a little left over after a couple of bowls a piece. I only use a small can of fire roasted tomatoes for that as well.
AustinAgChef
This recipe doesn't come out "tomatoey" but if you are concerned about that then substitute some of the tomato sauce with beef or chicken stock.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks for the quick response. I don't cook using recipes as often as I'd like to, so this will be a good challenge for me.
fav13andac1)c
AG
One more question. Is using bacon fat essential? Or can I just use canola oil or something similar?
HTownAg98
I would say it's not essential, use whatever fat you have on hand. For that matter, you should be able to adjust any of the above recipes according to your taste.

Recipes are not set in stone; they are merely guidelines.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks for the help. I think I might add more chili powder, but follow everything else to the t. Whenever the chili I made turned out really dominated by tomato (flavor wise), I may have added a bit too much. Can't be too sure. I also didn't let it simmer.

Can't wait to give this a shot! Making my mouth water already.
AustinAgChef
Like HTown said, it's definitely not essential but it just adds another depth of flavor. I always have a mason jar in my fridge with bacon fat at all times and will use it quite frequently for flavor when cooking.

Also, if you're worried about getting more of a chile flavor, up the amount of chile puree instead of just adding more chile powder. You'll get a much better flavor that way. And let that dang chili simmer! Be patient and take your time so that the flavors have a chance to develop and meld together.

[This message has been edited by AustinAgChef (edited 10/26/2012 1:18a).]
MarylandAG
"I always have a mason jar in my fridge with bacon fat at all times and will use it quite frequently for flavor when cooking."

Blue star for you!!!

fav13andac1)c
AG
I like the idea of adding more chiles. I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the input! Pics to come!
RachAg2007
AG
Making chili tomorrow, just in time for the cold front to move out.
AustinAgChef
Looking forward to hearing and seeing how it turns out!
eric76
AG
The local preacher brought me some chili to try out that he seemed to be real proud of and kept calling it "Real Texas Chili".

I thanked him and said something to the effect that the great thing about chili is that it doesn't have cheese in it. It turned out his concept of "Real Texas Chili" does contain cheese. Arrgghhh! I thought he was joking when he said there was cheese in it.

I think he needs to call it something else. Maybe "Real Minnesota Chili". My younger brother suggested that what he made should be called "Santa Fe Chili".

Who would put cheese in chili?

For what it's worth, I'm allergic to cheese and couldn't eat a bit of it.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Simmering on the stove! Smells delicious!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Holy crap that was amazing! Some of the best I'd ever had, and it got great reviews! It was the perfect amount of spicy too. Thanks!
I changed some stuff around. Only used one 15oz can of tomato sauce, added some bacon salt for chits and gigs, used 2.25 lbs of chuck, and added an extra guajillo chile to the puree. I decided against the coriander because it was GD expensive, and couldn't find the ancho or chipotle powder, so I added some extra of the other seasonings, minus the cayenne.

All of the ingredients, for the most part.

Boiling the chiles.

Brownin da meat

Gettin my sautee on

Reducing the beer

Before adding puree

After adding puree and after a few hours

And most of you may consider this blasphemy, but I added ranch style beans at the end. Being a south Texas kid, I grew up with beans in my chili. It just didn't seem right without them.

Soaked with some cornbread and cheese! There's nothing like sitting outside in the cold over a bowl of hot chili!
AustinAgChef
Glad it turned out good for you!

But the beans? C'mon man!

To each their own I guess.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Haha, yeah I was cooking for 4 people including myself, and we are all originally from the Corpus Christi area. They unanimously requested beans, and one of them even said "Why would you not put beans?" Just a S. Texas thing I guess.
RachAg2007
AG
Used AustinAg's recipe with slight modification. It was outstanding.
eric76
AG
quote:
Haha, yeah I was cooking for 4 people including myself, and we are all originally from the Corpus Christi area. They unanimously requested beans, and one of them even said "Why would you not put beans?" Just a S. Texas thing I guess.
Texas Panhandle thing, too. In every case I know of where an old-timer around here said anything about beans in chili, it is in favor of them.

I think the no beans in chili crowd is pretty much those younger people who get their culture from tv and popular opinion instead of actually living it.
HTownAg98
Here's mine. This is more of a Mexico style chili as opposed to a Texas chili; it's more of a brownish color than a red color that you typically associate with Texas chili. It's thinner, and has less meat in it, but the chile flavor is quite pronounced. It would be an excellent topping for some enchiladas.

2.5# chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2" cubes
3 Tbs lard, divided
1 large onion, minced fine
4 large garlic cloves, minced fine
6 ancho chile pods, stemmed and seeded
4 pasilla chile podes, stemmed and seeded
4 chile de arbol, stemmed and seeded
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon whole cumin, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon mexican oregano, ground

1. Toast the chile pods in a dry hot skillet until they blister, about 15 seconds per side. Transfer the chile pods to a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 20-30 minutes until fully hydrated. Remove the chile pods from the soaking liquid, discard soaking liquid. Transfer chile pods to a blender, and puree. Add just enough water to get the chile pods moving through the blades. Set aside chile puree.

2. Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of lard. Add enough meat to cover in a single layer, and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan, and repeat until all the meat is browned, adding lard if you need to. Set meat aside.

3. Add some lard, and saute the onion until it just starts to brown, and then add the garlic. Once the garlic starts to cook down, add the spices, and toast them for 15 seconds. Add the tomato sauce, and cook until the tomato sauce is thick and starts to take on some color. Add the meat and chili puree. Add enough water so that you have something that looks like a runny chili, roughly 2-3 cups. Season very lightly with salt.

4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for two hours minimum. Remove lid, and simmer until desired thickness is reached. Adjust salt, and serve, with some fresh cornbread preferably.
Aggie1
AG
Sam's frozen "Homestyle" chili - 5 pound chub.
Hard to beat!! Not too expensive, NO beans, lot's of discernable meat chunks. Fairly "hot", but not burn your tounge off hot... Better than any other over the counter (especially any of the canned versions) brands IMO. Same company freezes 5 pound chubs of BBQ as well, but I've not tried it. The chili however, it about as good as it gets - IMO...

Wolf Brand chili in a can USED to be a lot better when it was family owned in Corsicana, before they sold their 100-year old recipe out to Quaker Oats in 1957, then they to Stokley Van Camp, and then (currently) to ConAgra. They use the same marketing since at least the 50's when I was a boy. To me, it seems that with each transfer of ownership, Wolf Brand got soupier and further away from its original top quality - and approaches Hormel, etc... But, even so - if you have to get your chili from a can, Wolf Brand is not too bad.

Regardless, grated cheddar cheeze, chopped fresh onions, etc., as topping for just about any chili with some saltines is hard to beat on a cold day!

Frank Tolbert's restaurants and seasoning mixes are excellent and cannot be beat as well if you want to do your own... IMO of course - The amount of red pepper added will heat your oven/taste buds as required - to the point you lose the ability to taste if you so choose. His book "Bowl of Red" has many, MANY recipes that any chili person would love.

Real chili requires more than ground beef - a LOT of real chunks as noted in several posts above.
Aggie1
AG
Beans only add gas and volume to make you feel fuller faster longer and provides a "cheap" way to have more food...

The pro or con argument?? I'm personally opposed - never knew beans were even an option until I saw threads such as these on TexAgs.
AustinAgChef
quote:
Sam's frozen "Homestyle" chili - 5 pound chub.
Hard to beat!! Not too expensive, NO beans, lot's of discernable meat chunks. Fairly "hot", but not burn your tounge off hot... Better than any other over the counter (especially any of the canned versions) brands IMO. Same company freezes 5 pound chubs of BBQ as well, but I've not tried it. The chili however, it about as good as it gets - IMO...

You lost me here and lost all credibility with this opening statement in your post. If that is "about as good as it gets" then you haven't had much good chili.
fav13andac1)c
AG
What the hell is Aggie1 talking about?
Tanya 93
I like the texture beans add to chili.
Twix
AG
If we're going to have chili for a meal, then I put beans in it. They're an excellent source of fiber, they help extend the chili (I can get 2-3 meals out of it) and we like them.

If I'm making chili for frito pie or hot dogs, no beans.

And those of you that say beans don't belong in chili...well, you can kiss my patootie.
HTownAg98
I'll say this before, and I'll say it again. Chili was originally a peasant (read: poors) dish, and adding cheap beans to it to stretch it out and feed more people would not be out of the question. In fact, it makes sense to do it.

You can make it however you want, but to say that chili shouldn't have beans is ridiculous.
fav13andac1)c
AG
So the ayes have it?
HTownAg98
I think the consensus is make it to your taste. If that includes beans, fine.
eric76
AG
Beans are fine. Just don't mix cheese into the chili. Top your own chili with it if you wish, but don't cook it in the chili.
JTMW
AG
3-Page "Contest" & I missed it. Darn!

Lacy05, thanks for the Pendery's reference.

[This message has been edited by JTMW (edited 11/1/2012 12:49p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.