Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,510 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
big ben
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I had the misfortune one time of tasting Skyline (Cincinnati style) chili. Which cannot legally be referred to as chili within the state of Texas.

Friends don't let friends eat Skyline chili.

My future in laws all live in Cincinnati and Sky Line has its place on top of fresh spaghetti and isnt half bad...BUT...it is no substitute for Texas chili.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
I had the misfortune one time of tasting Skyline (Cincinnati style) chili. Which cannot legally be referred to as chili within the state of Texas.

Friends don't let friends eat Skyline chili.

My future in laws all live in Cincinnati and Sky Line has its place on top of fresh spaghetti and isnt half bad...BUT...it is no substitute for Texas chili.

This. It's more like a mildly spicy spaghetti sauce. It's not bad if you go in with the mindset that it is not Texas chili.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:
Making a batch for a massive kid's birthday party on Saturday. I'll stay clear of a couple of the peppers for the masses.
Just how massive is this kid? Maybe you should cut down on foods like chili to help him get his weight under control.
English is an interesting language, for sure. The chili was enjoyed by all - especially the future mother-in-law (Puro Mexicano). The child in question is a she, is TF's granddaughter, and is a tiny blue-eyed blonde-haired apple of my eye. It won't be long until she can bait her own hook, and tie her own knots. It gets fun after that.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Making a batch for a massive kid's birthday party on Saturday. I'll stay clear of a couple of the peppers for the masses.
Just how massive is this kid? Maybe you should cut down on foods like chili to help him get his weight under control.
English is an interesting language, for sure. The chili was enjoyed by all - especially the future mother-in-law (Puro Mexicano). The child in question is a she, is TF's granddaughter, and is a tiny blue-eyed blonde-haired apple of my eye. It won't be long until she can bait her own hook, and tie her own knots. It gets fun after that.
Very cool.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
I used AAC's recipe as base. Changed a few things to have less tomato flavor, and it was great.

2.5 lbs. chuck, diced
1 large yellow onion diced small
3 jalapenos diced small
1 head garlic minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
.5 large can crushed tomatoes
.5 large cans tomato sauce
.5 large tomato can of water
~20 oz. homemade beef stock
1 beer of choice (I used Dos Equis because that's all I had)
3 each dried ancho, New Mexico and guajillo chiles
2 each chile de arbol
3 tbsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. ground coriander
3 tbsp. chile powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. Mexican oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
Bacon fat, as needed
I think I'm gonna give this one a crack. I've tried AAC's recipe twice, and both times it was outstanding. Thanks again for sharing that.

By the way, and some may consider this heresy, but my wife discovered that if you take some of the chili and mix it with some "Fiesta" blend cheese, it makes DAMN good queso. But that's the only way she'll eat it, says it's too hot (and I was being restrained, too)
Ag MD 84
AG
Chili cook off at work today, 1st place: smoked pork butt, hatch green chiles, homemade chicken stock, plus usual stuff like onions, garlic, cumin, oregano (and tomatillos, jalapeo, poblano, cilantro)
Furlock Bones
AG
First fall pot of red simmering now.
drewser95
AG
For those who like experimenting with different beers, I tried a batch last night with Real Ale's coffee porter and it turned out really well (if I do say so myself).
Farmer1906
AG
I am making my first pot of AAC's and it's looking soupy. Anyone else have that issue?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Take a cup of the broth and mix with a 1/4 cup masa or flour. Stir back into chili.
Ornlu
AG
Fido, I made your version last night. Best chili I've ever cooked. Differences:
- I ground my own chili powder from 4 guajillo and 1 ancho peppers. To get the peppers hard/dry enough to powderize in my spice grinder, I decided to smoke them (electric w/ hickory chunks). Well, got wrapped up chasing my 2YO while she played with the neighbor kids, so I over smoked them. They ended up about a mahogony color. Tasted like straight smoke, with a tiny bit of pepper mixed in. I'll have to try this again when I can actually devote more attention. Also, I should have left some seeds in; no heat to speak of.
- I didn't strain my chili paste. I did 3 anchos and 1 guajillo for that. I also should have left some seeds in.
- I ended up adding an additional 1/2 beer about 20 minutes before serving. It was just too thick.

One question for ya'll: How lean do you get the chuck when cubing? I trimmed off a little of the edge fat, but left the rest. Doing 1/2" cubes was absolutely the right way to go, but cutting out the marbeled fat just seemed wasteful (of time, not to mention $).
AustinCountyAg
I made a pot this past friday. Proud to say i will eat leftovers today. Cornbread on the side
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ornlu, when I get chuck there's usually a long strip of fat on one side that won't render out, so I trim it. The rest goes in.
Hwy30East
It's Chili weather, so I needed to get the recipe from this thread.
HTownAg98
Made a batch this weekend. Still went with my chile blend, and cut the tomatoes in half. I used half venison and half beef. It's still awesome.
heddleston
AG
I'm in Ethiopia, where today isnt just Texas Independence Day, its also Adwa! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Adwa (not sure why Wiki says its on the 1st, theyre definitely celebrating today) I use this as an excuse to make a big pot of chili. Some ingredients are hard to come by, but i was able to get qarya peppers( a type of chili, maybe like peri peri - which is used in everything here) and found what i think are red chilis. was also able to scrounge up some chili powder, as well as some green hatch chili powder i bought from another expat, paprika, and cayenne. cumin and oregano arent hard to find here, but i couldnt find coriander. just doing without as well as tomato paste because i forgot to go get it.

so far ive managed to smoke my non-texan wife and our daughter out of the kitchen, so i think im doing it right! letting it simmer for another hour or so before i try the finished product.
Ornlu
AG
BUMP!

This is on the menu for this week. Got to get one more batch in this season before it gets too hot.
Hugo Stiglitzz
Using this recipe tonight. Much appreciate you sharing this recipe.
JRizzle
AG
Gonna try AAC recipe tonight.

Thanks for posting recipe AAC.

JR

Max Power
AG
Bump, football is in full swing, October is almost here, chili...soon.
Mule_lx
AG
Bump for the rainy cool weekend.
Aggie GIGolo
AG
Brisket chili and jalapeo cornbread on the menu tonight
Naveronski
AG
Mule_lx said:

Bump for the rainy cool weekend.
Yep, good time for this.
rilloaggie
AG
AAC recipe on the stove now! Enjoying a cool weekend in Houston and thanking my lucky stars that I didn't get to enjoy the -1 that my mom had in Amarillo last night.
B-1 83
AG
Using the dried peppers and making a pure is the key. That separates serious chili from the others
streetfighter2012
AG
I'm cooking up a batch of chili for Christmas Eve when both my family and the wife's family will be over, any suggestions on how much meat to use when cooking for 20 people
Bruce Almighty
AG
10 pounds
BurnetAggie99
Pretty good recipe from James Burns that I made the other day just to try a different recipe from mine and it was pretty damn good.

First Mix of Spices

1 Tbsp Mexene Chili Powder

1 Tbsp Dixon Medium Hot Chili Powder - Mild Bill's Spices

1 Tbsp Cowtown Lite Chili Powder - Mild Bill's Spices

2 tsp Beef Granules*

2 tsp Chicken Granules*

2 tsp Onion Granules

1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1/8 tsp Salt

Second Mix of Spices

1 Tbsp San Antonio Red Chili Powder Mild Bill's Spices

2 Tbsp San Antonio Original Chili Powder - Mild Bill's Spices

1/8 1/4 tsp Terlingua Dust Chili Powder - Mild Bill's Spices

1 Tbsp Texas Original Chili Powder

1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 Tbsp Cumin

2 tsp Garlic Granules

1 Pack Sazon Goya

Directions;

Brown 2lbs of chili grind drain and set aside. Clean pot then add one can of beef broth, 1/2 can of chicken broth, 1 - 8oz can of tomato sauce and float 2 medium Serrano pepper. Add drained meat, bring to a boil and then add first mix of spices. Cook for about 10 minutes at a high heat. Reduce heat and cook 30 45 minutes.

Turn off heat and let chili rest in pot for 30 minutes to an hour. Remove Serrano peppers, squeeze out juices and then discard. Bring back to a boil 30 45 minutes then add second mix of spices. Cook 30 minutes. Check for salt and heat; adjust if necessary.
Sooner Born
So chili powder and msg? Got it.
BurnetAggie99
Recipe won the world championship at Terlingua
Ag_SGT
AG
This is the best thread ever on TexAgs
KidDoc
AG
Tried this recipe and loved it. I did use Kroger's spicy chili beans and it was a bit too hot so I'll change it up next time.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237576/slow-cooker-chipotle-chili/
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Every time I read a recipe from a Terlingua champion, I think two things:

1) They're all the same.
2) They read like advertisements for random spice companies.
Furlock Bones
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Every time I read a recipe from a Terlingua champion, I think two things:

1) They're all the same.
2) They read like advertisements for random spice companies.
this. they are trying to fit a narrow set of guidelines to win a competition. fortunately, we don't have to follow those rules.
mike073
AG
I think this was talked about way back up in this thread last year.

The suggestion to use pods instead of chili powder is excellent. If you have not done this before, get five or six ancho pods per 2# of meat. Remove the stems and as many seeds as possible. Simmer in hot water for about 15 minutes. You should be able to split them and scrape the pulp from the skin. Puree the pulp with some of the water used to simmer. Use this slurry in place of the chili powder and then add the other spices that you would want to add. Remember chili powder has spices in it already unless you used pure chili pepper. Roux can thicken to your desired thickness. Tomato paste works well for this also plus it is a great flavor enhancer.

Lots of variation on this simple process can be done. The chili pods can be smoked, roasted in a saute pan, or you do not have to remove the pulp from the skin - use it all. Each of these changes the end flavor.

You can add other pod varieties or chili peppers as you like.

As far as the chili championships, those guys are very serious and they do have a goal in mind. Typically, I find their actual wining pots of chile too spicy for the general public. However the process of adding spices at different intervals does have merit. Layering flavor over a period of time helps release the oils and glutamates that enhances flavors - much like keeping chili or pinto beans overnight and finding it tastes better the next day.

This will be a good weekend for chile.
Gig 'em Aggies!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.