Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,505 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
JTMW
Your "recipe" is child's play compared to the others mentioned in this thread.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Chili is the reason why fall/winter is my favorite time of the year.
agcrock2005
AG
I used AAC's recipe as base. Changed a few things to have less tomato flavor, and it was great.

2.5 lbs. chuck, diced
1 large yellow onion diced small
3 jalapenos diced small
1 head garlic minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
.5 large can crushed tomatoes
.5 large cans tomato sauce
.5 large tomato can of water
~20 oz. homemade beef stock
1 beer of choice (I used Dos Equis because that's all I had)
3 each dried ancho, New Mexico and guajillo chiles
2 each chile de arbol
3 tbsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. ground coriander
3 tbsp. chile powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. Mexican oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
Bacon fat, as needed
Tailgate88
AG
Making a triple batch today of my recipe with enhancements from this thread (good and mixed chili powders, bacon fat to saut the meat, fire roasted tomatoes, etc.) I use half beef chuck and half venison chili grind and add more veggies because we like it chunky and to add a little more healthiness to it. I also use low sodium chicken broth instead of water.

Mmmmmmmmm chili!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Pretty sure I won with my batch of InvestorAg chili last week. Despite the fact that I did a double+ batch we were plum out. My wife's chili with beans/brown sugar/corn/etc is now taking up room in the freezer.
investorAg83
AG
Congrats!! You do anything different?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I made a huge double batch of salsa the night before, probably 2 1/2 # of tomatillas and a dozen or so jalapenos plus some seranos. I thought I had made way too much salsa, but I kept adding it to the chili as it would cook down a little more. Ended up being about perfect.
Sooner Born
ahem. *cough cough* I would like credit for bringing the green chili recipe to this site.

Kidding. Congrats on the win. I've a couple of backyard cookoffs with that recipe. Both times it wasn't even close.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
ahem. *cough cough* I would like credit for bringing the green chili recipe to this site.

Kidding. Congrats on the win. I've a couple of backyard cookoffs with that recipe. Both times it wasn't even close.
Indeed you did. My bad. Well, my hat's off to you. Now I wish my wife would change things up to try and compete next year. Mainly so she wouldn't make her "chili".
B-1 83
AG
Got a pot going now. Similar to Austin Ag's, but toned down a hair on a few of the chilies.
HTownAg98
My chile base today is 6 ancho, 3 pasilla, 3 guajillo, and two chipotle.
agdaddy04
AG
Looks like it's time to make chili again.
HTownAg98
It turned out very well. Good heat with depth and complexity.
B-1 83
AG
Anchos - no problem
Pasillas - not a major problem
Guajillos - can get rowdy
gwellis
AG
How about Puerco Chili Rojo?

Browning the Pork sirloin roast with Onions and garlic.

Adding the Chili Puree to meat after using the stock to steep the Chiles.

Simmering the mixture.

Done and on to Tacos..

Gil '91
B-1 83
AG
quote:
How about Puerco Chili Rojo?

Browning the Pork sirloin roast with Onions and garlic.

Adding the Chili Puree to meat after using the stock to steep the Chiles.

Simmering the mixture.

Done and on to Tacos..

ChipFTAC01
AG
That looks fantastic
Quinn
AG
Finally made chili this past weekend. I was able to tone down the heat, which has been an issue for me in the past. My wife and dad still thought it was too spicy, though my BIL loved it. If I were to change something up, which would have a bigger effect on the spiciness: using fewer fresh jalapenos (use 3 currently) or switching from ancho chili powder to regular chili powder?
Sooner Born
Eliminating the jalapenos would have the most effect on spiciness. Ancho chile powder isn't very spicy at all.

If you want to keep the jalapenos in but take out the spiciness, just take out the seeds and ribs of the pepper before you add them.
Quinn
AG
I did deseed and devein the jalapenos, so its not that. I put in cayenne powder, but only half a table spoon. I dunno, I thought it was great, but it gets annoying hearing people complain about the heat.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Half a tbsp cayenne is quite a bit depending on the amount of chilli you made.
Quinn
AG
The batch I made fed 8-10 people. I'll try cutting that out next time - thanks!
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Half a tbsp cayenne is quite a bit depending on the amount of chilli you made.
You've got to be ****ting me...
AgNav93
AG
Now I'm going to have to make chilli today.
agdaddy04
AG
Finishing up with BurnetAggie99 recipe I found from 8 years ago. It'll be ready in 30 mins.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Going to pass on my favorite chili recipe tomorrow and give AAC's recipe a try. Sounds pretty damn tasty.
nonag97
Cooked up a pot of AAC's chili this weekend, with some modifications: about half the number of dried chiles, only one regular can of tomato sauce with a cup of beef stock, half head of garlic, one poblano instead of jalapenos and omitted the cayenne pepper. Obviously I was concerned about the amount of heat and I think my modifications were spot on for my taste.

The only thing I might do differently next time is the garlic was still too much for me. I made the chile paste with orange juice and was a little concerned about the sweetness, but it gave off a really nice initial sweet note followed by the heat. I used butter and rendered pork belly fat for the fat to sear the meat and while cooking pork belly made my kitchen smell like ass the sweet goodness that comes off it is pure gold. I also cooked everything in one pot (except steeping the chiles), I'm not sure why the meat and the aromatics need to be in different pots, it turned out fine using the same one.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it helped or not but I marinated the diced chuck in beer, worcestershire and a dash of smoking liquid overnight, had to drain off extra liquid during the sear but it gave off this amazing beer smell while cooking and that extra liquid was repurposed for the water in the recipe. (btw - HEB diced the meat for me)

I can safely say that not only was this the best pot of chili I have ever made it is easily the best chili I've ever had!! It took damn near all day but was so totally worth it! I wish I'd made a double-batch.
B-1 83
AG
Cooking the inion/garlic and various spices separately gives it a different flavor for sure. A hot sautee brings out the best in onions and cumin, plus putting the tomato paste with them at the end with the beer deglazing is a key.
Quinn
AG
Bump for chili season, even if its 90 friggin degrees in Dallas.
AustinAgChef
It's not that it's necessary to use different pots but I like using the cast iron to get a better sear on the meat.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If you're a Texan, there's no such thing as chili season.
Quinn
AG
Very true - I always make some delicious chili to have by the pool on July 4th.
B-1 83
AG
Making a batch for a massive kid's birthday party on Saturday. I'll stay clear of a couple of the peppers for the masses.
Max Power
AG
Love this thread, going to make up a pot later today with short ribs.

I would like to commend you all to sticking with true chili recipes, per Texas law. I had the misfortune one time of tasting Skyline (Cincinnati style) chili. Which cannot legally be referred to as chili within the state of Texas.

Friends don't let friends eat Skyline chili.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Making a batch for a massive kid's birthday party on Saturday. I'll stay clear of a couple of the peppers for the masses.
Just how massive is this kid? Maybe you should cut down on foods like chili to help him get his weight under control.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.