Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,525 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes everything is at HEB. I grind my own chiles so if you don't feel like paying for the McCormic specialty chile powders regular fiesta brand will be a fine substitute.
HTownAg98
quote:
I don't typically do a chile puree, but, I may give that a shot next go round. My only hesitation is that it will give it a New Mexico enchilada sauce type flavor.

If you go with all guajillos, it will. My blend last night was 3 anchos, 2 guajillos, and one chile de arbol. I might add a chile mulato next time to give it some additional earthiness and depth. Also, I don't save the soaking liquid because it makes the puree too bitter for my taste. I like to give the chiles a quick toasting before I soak them too.
straw
Fido--I've NEVER MADE IT!! Give me a little break. I'm sure I'll add a little of this/a little of that as I make it anyway.
FIDO*98*
AG
If I gave you a break then I'd have to give one to errybody. It'll turn out great.

What's the nature of your frito allergy? Is it the corn, oil, taste, salt, other?
straw
processed corn--ANY kind of processed corn and I toss my cookies.

So, no corn tortillas, cornbread, grits, corn chips, tamales. I can eat corn on its own or hominy, just can't be processed.

Took me FOREVER to figure out what was causing so much pain. Finally figured it out, eliminated processed corn and now I am in business. No tummy issues since. (Well, if I eat something SUPER greasy, my gallbladder will hurt cause it's pretty low functioning, but I'm not wanting to do surgery, so I'm controlling that with diet too.)
FIDO*98*
AG
The closest you are going to get the. Is one of those taco salad flour tortilla bowls like the ones at Taco bell crumbled up or if you have a deep fryer fry some flour tortillas cut into strips.

AustinAgChef
2 lbs. chuck, diced
1 large yellow onion diced small
3 jalapenos diced small
1 head garlic minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 large cans tomato sauce
1 large tomato can of water
1 beer of choice (I used Shiner because I like cooking with it)
3 each dried ancho, New Mexico and guajillo chiles
2 each chile de arbol
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. ground ancho powder
1 tbsp. ground chipotle powder
1 tbsp. chile powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. Mexican oregano
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
Bacon fat, as needed

1. Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles and place in a small saucepot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, place lid on pot and turn off heat. Allow chiles to steep for 15 minutes and then puree.

2. Season beef with kosher salt and set aside. Meanwhile heat some bacon fat in a cast iron skillet and brown meat in batches to ensure even browing. Remove from pan and set aside.

3. Once all meat is browned, drain excess fat out of pan and deglaze with about a 1/4 of the beer and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove the yummy goodness.

3. In a separate stockpot, heat about 3 tbsp. of bacon fat and add onions and jalapenos. Season with some salt and cook for 3-5 minutes and then add garlic and continue cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.

4. Once the aromatics have cooked, add meat and pan drippings to pot. Now add all of your spices and tomato paste. Let this cook for about 5 minutes to allow the spices and tomato paste to toast. Be sure to stir often to prevent burning of the tomato paste.

5. Once that spices have had time to toast, add the remaining part of the beer and reduce by half. After the beer has reduced, add your tomatoes, tomato sauce, chile puree and water.

6. Turn heat to low and allow the chili to simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Adjust seasoning with salt to your liking and serve however you'd like.

If the consistency is too thick then add water a little at a time to get the desired consistency. If it is too thin, continue cooking down or thicken slightly with a little bit of masa harina mixed with water.

Also, if you want a spicier chili then add more cayenne and leave the seeds in the jalapenos.
AustinAgChef
Here's a quick tip to help you with dicing your meat:

Cut the chuck into 1/2" slabs and lay flat on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Place in freezer until the meat just starts to freeze and then remove and dice. The meat will be much easier to dice this way.

Also, you can use orange juice instead of water for your chile puree and the sugar in the orange juice will help offset any bitter flavor you get from the dried chiles.
straw
I might take ideas from both and make that. Would one or both of you be offended?

And good idea about the tortilla bowls. I don't have a deep frier, so I guess I'll just have to find that.
FIDO*98*
AG
Here's an even easier tip. Take the chuck roast to the butcher and ask him to put a 1/2" dice on it for ya. HEB down here does it all the time for me.

Fine tuning, adjusting, or combining recipes from me, AAC, or bw will never get you in trouble. We might have small differences in personal preferences, but, the foundation recipes are always similar and solid bets.
Doug Christie
thanks guys, I know what I'm making this weekend.
investorAg83
AG
quote:
thanks guys, I know what I'm making this weekend.

Me too.

Start the chili
Work on the truck and Mustang
A&M/OU
some quick battlefield 3
Bama/LSU and chili time
Profit??
straw
Chili is simmering. I tasted. Already delicious.
straw
Holy crap that's good *****
AustinAgChef
What all did you end up doing Straw?
straw
I f
straw
Followed your recipe. To the t. Everyone that ate it said it was the best ever. Thank you!
straw
That puree was awesome.
AustinAgChef
Glad the recipe worked for you and ever more glad that you all enjoyed it so much!
straw
Oh, and since I couldn't have fritos, I cut flour tortillas into strips, brushed with butter and toasted in oven for 10 min at 400. Delicious.
metrag06
AG
OK, I'm going to attempt this while I'm off the next couple of days but I have a stupid question first.

For our chile puree, do we include the water they're soaking in, or just puree the chiles themselves? I'd imagine we include some of the liquid given the comment about using OJ but I figured I'd ask first.
AustinAgChef
Yes, you need to include the liquid. You will have a hard time pureeing the chiles if you don't include the liquid.
metrag06
AG
OK, that's what I thought.

Looking forward to making this. I enjoy a nice 'project' on my days off.
HTownAg98
I tend to not use the soaking liquid, because I think it makes the puree bitter, and there's often a bunch of "stuff" floating around in the water that I'd rather not put into whatever I'm making. Just a personal preference of mine.
You'll want to add just enough water to the blender to get the puree moving. If you want to present a more refined dish, you can run it through a chinois or similar fine strainer. For chili and most applications I use it for, I don't bother straining it.
dsvogel05
AG
quote:
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 large cans tomato sauce

How many oz for the crushed and sauce? 28oz for both?
AustinAgChef
The cans I use are 29 ounce cans.
FIDO*98*
AG
Doug Christie
quote:
I tend to not use the soaking liquid, because I think it makes the puree bitter, and there's often a bunch of "stuff" floating around in the water that I'd rather not put into whatever I'm making. Just a personal preference of mine.

I made the chili following AustinAgChef's recipe and I too didn't use water when pureeing. It seemed to get plenty pureed though in my food processor, so I'm sure it just depends on the consistency. I might try adding a bit of water in the future to see if it chops up the peppers any finer.

Overall, I really liked it. I'll probably play around with the chile puree and seasonings to see how I can vary it up, but overall, it was a really solid bowl of chili. Thanks again for posting the recipe.
straw
I only used 1 can of tomatoes and 1 can of tomato sauce. I'm considering taking out the sauce, as the requesting party wants it tomato free.

I pureed the peppers without water and it took forever (and I did smell the motor getting irritated.)

I don't think i'll use ALL the water next time, but definitely some.
HTownAg98
A blender will do a much better job of pureeing, but you've got to have enough liquid to create the vortex to get everything moving through the blades.
AustinAgChef
FIDO:

Whenever you're ready to have a cookoff let me know and I'll school you.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
AustinAg or Fido, maybe a stupid question, but what's the shelf-life of dried chilis? I'm guessing indefinately since I don't see any "use by" date on the package.
big ben
AG
quote:

FIDO:

Whenever you're ready to have a cookoff let me know and I'll school you.

I got $20 on fido, simply because some of his recipes he has posted are awesome.
AustinAgChef
And you'll lose.
AustinAgChef
The dried chiles will last for a pretty good while but like with all other dried spices, they will begin to lose their flavor over time. I'd say anything over 2-3 months old will not have much flavor but will still be perfectly fine to eat. You'll just have to use more of them to get the flavor you want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.