Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Did someone say chili?

143,515 Views | 342 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by gigemJTH12
metrag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my stuff lined up to make a batch Tuesday morning so it's ready once the cold front hits.

Question for those who know what they're doing:

On another thread someone mentioned using the mexican style chocolate in their chili. I am thinking of trying this out by doing fido's first recipe (which has worked great for me) and adding some of the chocolate and compensating by using serranos instead of jalapeno to push the heat up a bit to compensate. Does this sound like it would work?
Quinn
AG
I add chocolate to mine and it turns out well. Helps turn down the spiciness so that its not insanely high.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Made AAC's recipe yesterday with a few tweaks. Came out excellent. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Made Echoes97's chili on Saturday. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but my wife prefers AAC's chili recipe. They both have their own flavor, and are both excellent in their own right. Didn't use all the choice cuts listed, just used 2 lbs of stew meat and 1 lb of ground chuck.
Echoes97
AG
Glad you liked it, I made some more yesterday w/ some fresh ghost pepper from the garden, spicy!

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Speedystooth
amanda04
AG
To those who have made AustinAg's chili...how much did it make? Just trying to determine how big of a pot and how many people it will feed. I definitely don't want any angry Ags on my hands because I didn't have enough chili to feed them!
agcrock2005
AG
Made this yesterday as I was trapped in doors due to Icemageddon in DFW. The grocery stores had been raided as if it were the end of the world, so I changed a few things, but for the most part I stuck with AustinAgChef's version. Was awesome.
Lee91
AG
I made it yesterday as well. Very good ! Good recipe. Thanks !

-- Lee
TheDino
AG
Planning to make AustinAg's recipe on Sunday, with a few mods from fido (less crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, added beef stock)

Really looking forward to it.

Austin Ag, about how much chili does your recipe make?
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Austin Ag, about how much chili does your recipe make?

When I made it, it was definitely enough for 8 or so people. Not sure on exact amount.
TheDino
AG
It turned out really good. Love it.

The only problem I ran into was my chili puree wasn't as smooth as it should be. Pieces of peppers leftover that affected the consistency of the chili. A small problem I'll fix next time.

Thanks for sharing AustinAg.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
The only problem I ran into was my chili puree wasn't as smooth as it should be. Pieces of peppers leftover that affected the consistency of the chili. A small problem I'll fix next time.

Didn't use enough of the water maybe to create vortex in the blender? I had a ****ty blender before my current one, and it made it hard to get the right consistency.
mike073
AG
2005:

on the chili pod puree texture, be sure to carefully remove all stems and seeds before the hot water simmer. Some people trim the yellow veins away also. As stated above, you do need a pretty good blender to really puree New Mexico and Cascabel peppers. Use the hot water to thin.

You can scrape the pulp from the cooked Ancho pretty easily and keep those skins out of the mixture.

Gig 'em Aggies!

investorAg83
AG
Made the green chili recipe from the queso page using fido's green sauce recipe from another page. Having a chili contest at work judged by a guy that loves Darth Vader...we'll see how he likes 'Shredded Yoda'.

Americium
AG
I used tri-tip for my last batch and it was killer. At Costco, it was only about $1 more per pound than chuck roasts and the portions were more what I was looking for.

I figured I'd make cornbread with it at the last second. I picked up a Marie Callender cornbread kit, then added green chiles and jalapenos, and it came out surprisingly good.
Quinn
AG
Bump for fall, even though its 80 degrees in Dallas
agcrock2005
AG
You're about a month early there buddy!
Quinn
AG
The thread with the lady trying to make terrible chili made me crave some good chili. But yeah, probably won't make any for another month or so.
thenational
AG
easy and delicious:

Ingredients: 2 T Bacon drippings2 1/2 c Yellow onion-Medium dice (1/2" pieces)1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper 1 tsp whole comino seeds that have been toasted and ground 2 tsp Salt 2 T Garlic minced1 qt Beef stock (low sodium)3 T Pure New Mexico Chile Powder (available at HEB Central)1 T Pure Ancho Chile Powder (available at HEB Central)2 T Fresh oregano chopped tsp Fresh lemon juice2 T masa harina (Ma Seca brand preferred, available in ethnic section of grocery) 2 LB. Beef-top sirloin-coarse grind or hand cut 2 LB. Lean Pork butt- coarse grind or hand cut
Directions:Render bacon in pan and reserve drippings. Heat 2 T bacon drippings over medium high heat until pot is coated. Add your diced yellow onion and fry until the edges of the onion start
to turn clear and soften, do not brown, add garlic and continue to cook
for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add pork and beef to the pot along with
black pepper, salt and cominocook until meat is browned. Mix in pure
chili powders. Add beef stock and bring up to a simmer. Continue to
simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Skim off any excess grease with ladle. Adjust salt to taste, add fresh lemon juice and fresh oregano and continue simmering for 10 more
minutes.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's never too early to make chili.
ChipFTAC01
AG
investorag,

What green chili recipe is that?

My wife and I have a chili party every year the night before Thanksgiving for friends and family that are in town. Last year she won and I'm looking to mix things up a little bit and play to the crowd (which includes a good number of non-Texans and quite a few ex-pats.)
investorAg83
AG
I basically just used this recipe but substituted fido's green salsa recipe (and added a tomatillo or 2) for the 10 oz of green salsa.

Green sauce:

Trim stems from 6 jalapeos, 10 serranos, and peel 2 large cloves of garlic. Simmer in salted water until tender. Hope you've got a good vent hood as this will make some serious fumes.Transfer peppers and garlic into a food processor and pulse a few times adding enough of the reserved water to reach your desired consistency. Salt to taste (but like I said, I added a couple tomatillos)

And used it in this recipe:

Denver Green Chili

Edit: Forgot to add that I didn't have green chili powder. I found a seasoning at Whole Foods that had green chili powder as a primary ingredient along with cumin, garlic, salt, etc and used it sparingly. When i make it again, I'm going to order the actual powder. Which will probably be next Saturday for a cookoff.
Sooner Born
I've used ancho chili powder in that green chili recipe with great success. There are so many other green ingredients that it doesn't affect the color.
bmc13
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I basically just used this recipe but substituted fido's green salsa recipe (and added a tomatillo or 2) for the 10 oz of green salsa.

Green sauce:

Trim stems from 6 jalapeos, 10 serranos, and peel 2 large cloves of garlic. Simmer in salted water until tender. Hope you've got a good vent hood as this will make some serious fumes.Transfer peppers and garlic into a food processor and pulse a few times adding enough of the reserved water to reach your desired consistency. Salt to taste (but like I said, I added a couple tomatillos)

Denver Green Chili

Edit: Forgot to add that I didn't have green chili powder. I found a seasoning at Whole Foods that had green chili powder as a primary ingredient along with cumin, garlic, salt, etc and used it sparingly. When i make it again, I'm going to order the actual powder. Which will probably be next Saturday for a cookoff.

Man, I like the heat, but this was some serious stuff. It had really good flavor, but with the liquid in the chili essentially being 15+ japs/serranos it was tough to get through. Not sure if I screwed up along the line, or what. I did add a few tomatillas to the salsa, but should have added probably 6 or 7.

I'm glad I didn't make this for my guests without giving it a trial run. We would have had a disaster on our hands.
investorAg83
AG
quote:
quote:

Green sauce:

Denver Green Chili

Man, I like the heat, but this was some serious stuff. It had really good flavor, but with the liquid in the chili essentially being 15+ japs/serranos it was tough to get through. Not sure if I screwed up along the line, or what. I did add a few tomatillas to the salsa, but should have added probably 6 or 7.

I'm glad I didn't make this for my guests without giving it a trial run. We would have had a disaster on our hands.
I should have mentioned an easy way to control the heat is to add the salsa mix and taste. It is definitely hot. I remember having a good portion of salsa left over for breakfast tacos. I definitely was tasting as I was adding to the chili and I also served it with cornbread and small amount of sour cream to cut it if needed.

I never had a problem with heat doing it that way...just saltiness since I didn't have the green chili powder and had to use some spice mix.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I should have mentioned an easy way to control the heat is to add the salsa mix and taste. It is definitely hot. I remember having a good portion of salsa left over for breakfast tacos. I definitely was tasting as I was adding to the chili and I also served it with cornbread and small amount of sour cream to cut it if needed.

I never had a problem with heat doing it that way...just saltiness since I didn't have the green chili powder and had to use some spice mix.

Yeah, I just blended it all up and dumped it in with the pork. I suppose if I tried it again, I could just dillute it with more tomatillas and less japs/seranos.

I just used regular chili powder because it was just a practice run for the wife and I. I was amazed at how a T of chili powder did ruin the green look. Would some green chili powder like this work well?

http://smile.amazon.com/Los-Chileros-Green-Molido-powder/dp/B00F9WZP72/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1415292158&sr=1-1&keywords=green+chile+powder

Furlock Bones
AG
made some deer/beef chili last night using austinag's recipe as a base once again. so good.
investorAg83
AG
That's the stuff. have the same package myself.
Quinn
AG
Ok, now its chili season.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I took another swing at the green chili last night. Much better result. I made my salsa verde the night before which brought the heat down a lot. My folks were over for dinner last night and even my boring Iowan mom was really happy with it.
investorAg83
AG
Good to hear...making my first batch of it tomorrow night. Good call on putting the salsa together ahead of time. I'll do that tonight.
B-1 83
AG
Making a batch of Austin Ag's chili tonight for Teacher Fiancee's bunco group. I'll likely back off on the Cascavel and pasilla peppers and go a hair heavier on the ancho.
JTMW
AG
'Bout Time the Jaimester chimed in. Dunno where all the Yankee or yuppie stuff comes in, but I'm sure it's OK to add it if ya like. Old time Texas chili, IMHO contains nothing but:

Beef (prolly chuck)
Chili Pepper (Ancho/Pasilla as CA or NM is often too harsh)
Black Pepper
Onion
Garlic
Comino
Salt

The fat that floats on the top is why God made bread or saltines.

FWIW
Jaime the Migrant Worker '63. Re: Authentic Texas Cuisine. Ya think there was kosher salt on the Chisolm Trail?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.