Policy Update for the 2017- 2018 Corps Year

58,607 Views | 350 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JABQ04 said:

So any updates? This can't have died off.

I just got invited to this.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1334699239983567/?notif_t=plan_user_associated¬if_id=1491358690974412
CT'97
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

It's easy to say that when reading a forum and not hearing it from the horse's mouth. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Given the significant amount of changes over the past few years I would take what they have to say seriously.
How can you take it seriously? This is no different than the argument that moving from tents into a dorm in 1905 was going to ruin the Corps.

I see an increase in meaningful leadership positions. It brings the major units back into relevance and will standardize the fish experience. Something that will bring a higher across the board performance level by the Corps than leaving training objectives up to individuals at the company level. Every other SMC, including the academies, in the country does it this way and they all manage to have very unique and individualized company level units with traditions and personality.

In the army as a company commander you are told to achieve specific training requirements and told what the standards are. Yet every company level organization I was involved with had an individual Esprit de Corps despite everyone having to accomplish the same tasks to the same standard.

FInally, and ultimately the only important statement. The Commandant was hired to bring his vision of a successful Corps of Cadets and to put his plan in place to accomplish that. As a good officer I expect he has evaluation processes in place and that success or failure of that plan will be evaluated and the plan will be adjusted accordingly.
74OA
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

JABQ04 said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1334699239983567/?notif_t=plan_user_associated¬if_id=1491358690974412
There's a lot of info there if you dig past the first page....
Wildman15
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

JABQ04 said:

Better take some snacks.
BCOBQ98
AG
CT'97 said:

Quote:

How can you take it seriously? This is no different than the argument that moving from tents into a dorm in 1905 was going to ruin the Corps.

So you don't see fish not being fish for the spring semester a big change?

From the attached "Freshmen promoted to PFC / Sophomores to Sergeant for the Spring semester if meet promotion criteria (in development)"

https://www.docdroid.net/Jtasqhu/cmdt-new-key-leader-brief-mar-2017.pdf.html#page=22
USMC_JAGgie
AG
I honestly stopped caring about the Corps when GRam showed up, and am still rolling my eyes over the quad Starbucks. As such, I don't really care anymore about these changes; I expected my outfit, Old Army Cock Company, to be gone under GRam so I gave up. That said, I think a recent story shows the prestige of the Corps now:

My wife was off shopping in our tiny North Carolina town near base, so I went off to a bar. A young devil dog was in there, and he had a gold ring. Now I learned long ago not to ask if they're an Aggie because they usually aren't. But he saw my ring and struck up a conversation. I introduced myself and said I was '10, then asked his year and outfit. He responded '15 with embarrassment. I mean, a puppy dog face and a depressing voice. To be embarrassed about when you graduated says a lot, at least to me.

That's my two cents, now back to business.
Wildman15
AG
We definitely saw a lot of changes during our 4 years...I'll leave it at that
CharlieBrown17
AG
C-2 won't be gone as long as Col. Starnes is still Asst. Commandant. He's C-2 class of '81.
JABQ04
AG
Someone please post an update tommorow of possible.
TangoMike
USMC_JAGgie said:

I honestly stopped caring about the Corps when GRam showed up, and am still rolling my eyes over the quad Starbucks. As such, I don't really care anymore about these changes; I expected my outfit, Old Army Cock Company, to be gone under GRam so I gave up. That said, I think a recent story shows the prestige of the Corps now:

My wife was off shopping in our tiny North Carolina town near base, so I went off to a bar. A young devil dog was in there, and he had a gold ring. Now I learned long ago not to ask if they're an Aggie because they usually aren't. But he saw my ring and struck up a conversation. I introduced myself and said I was '10, then asked his year and outfit. He responded '15 with embarrassment. I mean, a puppy dog face and a depressing voice. To be embarrassed about when you graduated says a lot, at least to me.

This is the dumbest anecdote yet in this multi-page thread of dumb anecdotes.
JABQ04
AG
USMC_JAGgie said:

Was he in the Corps? I've noticed when I strike similar conversations with folks and say my year and outfit the only ones who seem embarrassed are the ones who weren't in the Corps before joining th military. It's like: "Hey man, I see your ring. My name is __________ and I was B-Batt '04? What outfit were you in?"

" oh.... uh I wasn't I. The Corps"

Awkward silence ensues

Me "oh, well that's cool". Then I like to tie back to the Chicken, The Hall (if they're old enough) or something. Seriously it's like they regret commissioning or joking the military but not the Corps.
JABQ04
AG
JABQ04 said:

Tommorow is now the day after tomorrow. Anything to report? Or did y'all get told to stay off social media?
74OA
AG
JABQ04 said:

JABQ04 said:

Tommorow is now the day after tomorrow. Anything to report? Or did y'all get told to stay off social media?
Yeah, what happened during the big meeting at Duncan?
armymom
I saw on the facebook event page that 38 people went.
JABQ04
AG
Hoping that's only the people who checked in on FB. If not and only 38 people showed an interest then to hell with it. You had a chance and blew it. Play with the hand your dealt.

I'd still be interested in reports or feedback from a participant of the forum. They came on here screaming the sky is falling and now the silence is deafening. Maybe it's just a Friday night and they're all out at North Gate....err I mean studying.

bigtruckguy3500
Agreed.

It's also parent's weekend. So they could be busy with that stuff.

I found this recently discussing A&M's first 75 years from the 1951 Aggieland. Worth a read if you're bored. Certainly a different perspective on history from 66 years ago. Not that it necessarily has anything to do with this thread, but it might.

http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1951&getbook=Go#page/n15/mode/2up
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Quote:

I see an increase in meaningful leadership positions. It brings the major units back into relevance and will standardize the fish experience. Something that will bring a higher across the board performance level by the Corps than leaving training objectives up to individuals at the company level. Every other SMC, including the academies, in the country does it this way and they all manage to have very unique and individualized company level units with traditions and personality.

In the army as a company commander you are told to achieve specific training requirements and told what the standards are. Yet every company level organization I was involved with had an individual Esprit de Corps despite everyone having to accomplish the same tasks to the same standard.

FInally, and ultimately the only important statement. The Commandant was hired to bring his vision of a successful Corps of Cadets and to put his plan in place to accomplish that. As a good officer I expect he has evaluation processes in place and that success or failure of that plan will be evaluated and the plan will be adjusted accordingly.
Again, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Like you said, hopefully as a good officer should, the Commandant has evaluation processes in place and will adjust if needed.
Trident 88
AG
The last time I checked (2014), A&M's cadets were kicking ass in their rankings at OCS. Has this changed? Will it? As far as I'm concerned, that's the most important, measurable aspect of whether or not the Corps is still accomplishing its mission.

That being said, you'd have to be a fool to think micromanagement will benefit these young men and women. Leadership 101 is to set goals, let the cadet leadership determine how to reach them, tweak their proposal with their involvement, let them lead/implement the proposal, and supervise the process to keep them on track but participate only when necessary.
TG15
AG
Trident 88 said:

The last time I checked (2014), A&M's cadets were kicking ass in their rankings at OCS. Has this changed? Will it? As far as I'm concerned, that's the most important, measurable aspect of whether or not the Corps is still accomplishing its mission.

That being said, you'd have to be a fool to think micromanagement will benefit these young men and women. Leadership 101 is to set goals, let the cadet leadership determine how to reach them, tweak their proposal with their involvement, let them lead/implement the proposal, and supervise the process to keep them on track but participate only when necessary.

The 2014 OCS Candidate from Texas A&M that was the #1 graduate was the only one that wasn't in the Corps. So....
Prince_Ahmed
TG15 said:

Trident 88 said:

The 2014 OCS Candidate from Texas A&M that was the #1 graduate was the only one that wasn't in the Corps. So....

Because one anecdote makes the rule.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Number one in nation for OCS was from A&M this summer.

USAF had 54% of it's cadets finish in the top third, with most of that graduating field training as superior performer or distinguished graduate.

No idea on the Army or USN
Trident 88
AG
Quote:

Was he prior service? If not, that's probably a pretty unique accomplishment.

FYI - Two Aggie cadets I know finished #1 and #3 in their USMC Basic School class in 2015.
AGGies0311
18-21 years should never be allowed to govern themselves, especially in a military type atmosphere.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Did the Commandant discuss the changes with the Juniors soon to be Seniors ?
hillcountryag86
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

18-21 years should never be allowed to govern themselves, especially in a military type atmosphere.
Were you in the corps of cadets at A&M? If so, when?
JR69
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Hellsbells - the Boy Scouts do
AGGies0311
Yep,,,,2012-13 was my senior year..
AGGies0311
The scouts are more concerned with transgender 9 year olds.
JR69
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

The scouts are more concerned with transgender 9 year olds.
If you have a serious response, I'd be happy to hear it. Otherwise, comments like that one are nothing but hot air.
AGGies0311
A serious response to you saying the Boy Scouts prepare 18 year olds for the military without adult supervision?
hillcountryag86
AG
Interesting blanket statement you make. I'm not going to get into a futile argument of every line item change with the policy.

But, I do think 18 - 21 year-olds are very capable of running the corps. Oversight has certainly fluctuated over the years but from my experience, not only in my outfit but observing others, and from watching my son go through very recently, I absolutely believe the corps is a great leadership laboratory and there are many 18 - 21 year olds more than capable of running things.
JR69
AG
Except that's not what I said.
AGGies0311
JR69 said:

2/7Marine0311 said:

Hellsbells - the Boy Scouts do

Except you did...
JR69
AG
Except I didn't. "Govern themselves" for sure

You choose to infer something which I did not imply.
AGGies0311
If your son went through it recently then it was not student led. I don't think it should be student led because things that have no place on a major universities campus would still go on. i.e. axe handling, fish saunas, quadding, Anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto (Mexican cadets get quaded), chow privileges..... those have no place in leadership labs. The Military is not a place for the good ole boys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.