Policy Update for the 2017- 2018 Corps Year

58,627 Views | 350 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If 2/7Marine was a Day Duck, he/she has absolutely no foundation to make a statement that 21-year-olds should not run the Corps.

Unless someone lives 24/7 on the quad, with his buddies, with his outfit, and with other outfits -- he does not have the experience, knowledge, and credibility to know the extraordinary leadership capabilities of 21-year-old men and women unique to Texas A&M's Corps of Cadets.
loveaTm
AG
Also curious about the deafening silence. As for the 38 showing up to the meeting, my son had just heard about his leadership position for next year and they had their first training that night. If most leaders for next year had their training that night then probably few were free to attend the meeting? But i don't know how widespread that was.
Wildman15
AG
If there's one thing the Corps mirrors perfectly with the military, it's the "hurry up and wait" mentality. That's probably why we haven't heard anything new.

Comeby!
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

If 2/7Marine was a Day Duck, he/she has absolutely no foundation to make a statement that 21-year-olds should not run the Corps.

Unless someone lives 24/7 on the quad, with his buddies, with his outfit, and with other outfits -- he does not have the experience, knowledge, and credibility to know the extraordinary leadership capabilities of 21-year-old men and women unique to Texas A&M's Corps of Cadets.

Zing!
AgBQ-00
AG
This was probably no coincidence
Titan83
AG
^ this ^
AGGies0311
So having actually military experience and corps experience means nothing I guess
AGGies0311
I was in the corps of cadets for two years before I joined the military
Wildman15
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

So having actually military experience and corps experience means nothing I guess
you've got to be more specific about which of my comments you're referring to. Also, I don't think I'm the right person you need to be responding to anyway.

But just to be clear, I believe you're remarks have missed just slightly. If you believe cadets should just blindly follow orders then I hope you were never given much responsibility. The people who join the Corps are truly great people with amazing leadership skills. If our goal is to stifle their leadership growth then what's the point of the Corps?
Wildman15
AG
The Corps of Cadets is the perfect platform to allow cadets to make decisions, learn from their mistakes, and build upon those experiences without the fear of losing lives in a military operation or costing a company large sums of money in a business environment. Our goal is to make highly sought after leaders, so why don't we let them actually be leaders?
JABQ04
AG
To play Devils Advocate here; as long as an order is legal not immoral you are obligated to follow it, regardless of your personal feelings or if you agree. I'm not saying you have to agree with said order, but your going to follow it or face consequences. As an NCO I carried out and enforced rules, standards and orders I personally thought were idiotic, moronic and a waste of time but then again I liked my current rank and didn't feel like facing UCMJ. Now, there were plenty of times I approached the individual giving said order and in a tactful and professional manner I gave my opinion but none the less I still executed said order.

I am not advocating just blindly following your superiors every wish and command by any means, but there is a very very fine line that must be walked in this situation or you can stir up a major **** storm you wish you hadn't.
JABQ04
AG
Wildman15 said:

The Corps of Cadets is the perfect platform to allow cadets to make decisions, learn from their mistakes, and build upon those experiences without the fear of losing lives in a military operation or costing a company large sums of money in a business environment. Our goal is to make highly sought after leaders, so why don't we let them actually be leaders?

I agree. Cadet led and Cadre advised (minimally) used to work and be the norm. Make mistakes in training. And not when it matters.
Wildman15
AG
I understand the concept of following orders, and I believe lawful orders should be followed. But I believe the current issue cadets are facing is they have absolutely no capabilities of what direction they want the Corps to go, or how to get there. Cadets are loosing the feeling of ownership, and there needs to be a way to give some ownership back to them
JABQ04
AG
Wasn't trying to insult or insinuate anything. Didn't mean for it to come across that way if it did.
- from a Wildman '04
Wildman15
AG
None taken! I always appreciate constructive arguments. It's much better than the meltdowns you see on Facebook
AGGies0311
So living on the quad for two year, living in Marine Infantry barracks in 29 Palms for 4 years straight ( no winter break or summer break), and not going to every formation as a cadet at A&M make me unqualified to comment about this?
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
4 years at one post - sounds fishy !
AGGies0311
You obviously don't know what a 4 year enlistment looks like... especially in the USMC infantry
JABQ04
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

4 years at one post - sounds fishy !

Things have changed in that regards. The military tries to give you and your family a more stable life by not PCSing you every two years or so. Key word though is try. Still happens. I was at Fort Lewis from May 2007 through Nov 2011 before I PCS to Korea. Granted two of those years were in Iraq but still four years in the same Battery and Battalion.
AGGies0311
I should have been more specific.... 3 months in Boot Camp, 3 Months at Infantry School. 3 years and 6 months at 29 Palms with a 7 month deployment to Iraq and an 8 month deployment to Afghanistan during that time.
NICU Dad
AG
How about we get this thread back onto the tracks and out of the ditch.

Have any of the current cadets running the Cadet Run Corps webpage chimed in recently?

It seems several current cadets posted quite a bit and then went radio silent.
AGGies0311
Seems like the PRC-F15H isn't working anymore
NICU Dad
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Seems like the PRC-F15H isn't working anymore
JABQ04
AG
NICU Dad said:

Have any of the current cadets running the Cadet Run Corps webpage chimed in recently?

Unfortunately the thread is dead or dying as former cadets are the only ones posting. As been pointed out multiple times in the past few weeks no current cadets have responded to this thread since they raised the alarm. I believe as close as we got was a Cadet only a couple years removed came on and said there was nothing new to report from the meeting.
AGGies0311
With it being so close to the end of the semester I bet we won't hear anything until the end of the summer when the Key Leadership conference happens.... then the sky will be falling.
Wildman15
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

With it being so close to the end of the semester I bet we won't hear anything until the end of the summer when the Key Leadership conference happens.... then the sky will be falling.
I hope they take full advantage of the conference. Otherwise they're stuck
NICU Dad
AG
JABQ04 said:

NICU Dad said:

Unfortunately the thread is dead or dying as former cadets are the only ones posting. As been pointed out multiple times in the past few weeks no current cadets have responded to this thread since they raised the alarm. I believe as close as we got was a Cadet only a couple years removed came on and said there was nothing new to report from the meeting.
I know but was trying to get us back on track as opposed to where the thread devolved into recently.

My take is if this was such a huge deal to the current cadets - granted I agree with cadet run- then they would have been passionate enough to get back to this thread and keep the heat on to help bring awareness to the changes they were in favor.
bigtruckguy3500
Unless they were found out and threatened, like they claimed would happen.
CharlieBrown17
AG
JABQ04 said:

NICU Dad said:

That was me. I'm current. For about three more weeks.

No one I've talked to in key leader positions for next year has heard anything since the initial news that caused all this.
AGGies0311
If they were threatened then the snowflakes would definitely have broken their silence.
bigtruckguy3500
I wonder if the Commandant's staff has just decided to ignore it. If you ignore it for a year or two, it'll become normal and they won't have to deal cadets knowing any different. Most cadets aren't really going to quit the Corps in protest, and they know it. Short of former cadets withdrawing financial support in protest, current cadets really have no bargaining power.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's what us old, cyncial zips think.

Wouldn't be the first time, make a policy that has a huge push back then back track some so you still get your way and the corps as a whole feels good it prevented worse.
trouble
AG
The cadets bringing concerns are certainly not snowflakes. The new policies cater to snowflakes.
Ordhound04
AG
So what was discussed at the forum? Was there an explicit denial or acceptence of what was on the PowerPoint slides? How was the event organized etc?

For the dead zips that the alarm was raised for, most would need a bit more than, "well they told us non- committal stuff". Did they address your concerns? How many cadets attended? If they avoided questions, in what way? I'll even take a highlight reel at this point.
sharpdressedman
Crickets chirping at the Trigon. Very disappointing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.